Substituting granulated sugar for powdered sugar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Is it possible to substitute granulated sugar for powdered sugar in brownies and cookies? If yes, how much powdered sugar should I use - equal amounts as granulated??? I just realized that I'm out of granulated sugar and am pressed for time to bake some goodies for some teachers and friends this morning. I would appreciate your help.

Dina,

You can make your own powdered sugar using granulated sugar. Run it through the blender (I think maybe you are supposed to add a little corn starch??). If you have Joy of Cooking or another cook book that gives good tips, it might be in there. You might be able to google it also. I'll check into it and if I find out anything, I'll let you know. As far as just substituting it, I don't know if that would work right or not.

:) Barbara

"have to use 1-3/4 cups for every cup of granulated sugar, making it nearly twice as expensive" FOUND IT! Thanks Ladies! I will just have to improvise and add a bit more powdered sugar on the brownies, cookies and lemon bars. Thanks a bunch!

Your welcome!! Hope it all comes out good, let me know, this has happened to me before,but, didn't have a computer to find out.

LOL I was reading in a hurry this morning, so I turned around what you said. When you asked if you could substitute granulated for powdered, I thought you meant that you needed powdered and only had granulated. Sorry! I need to slow down!

:) Barbara

It worked out great. I ended up adding a bit more powdered sugar to the recipes and...Voila! The heart shaped brownies and chocolate chip cookies have been delivered. The lemon bars were too soft and thin and turned into crumbs but the flavor is great. I'll leave them to eat later with coffee.

Wow, never knew you could do that. I've added it to my little collection of knowledge, so thanks from me, too!

Back
Top Bottom