Supernatural Brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
This recipe is based on Nick Malgieri's Supernatural Brownies.

Ingredients:
2 sticks sweet butter
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I love to use Ghirardelli)
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar (make sure there are no lumps--use a freshly opened box)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups walnut or pecan pieces, optional (as I am allergic, I do not often use them)

Directions.
Grease a 13-by 9-by 2-inch pan with extra butter than the recipe calls for, then line the pan with buttered parchment. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. You will be placing these brownies to bake in the middle of your oven so adjust your rack accordingly.
Melt the butter and chocolate together being careful not to burn the chocolate. This can be done in a double boiler. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk the four eggs together. Then, whisk in the salt, the granulalted sugar, the brown sugar and the vanilla extract. It is very important that there are no sugar lumps at this point. Stir in the melted butter and chocolate, and then lightly fold in flour. You do not want to create gluten here, these are a rich, moist fudgy brownie and are not cakelike. You just want to ensure that there are no lumps of flour in your batter. If you are using the nuts, fold those in last.
Spread the brownie mixture evenly into the pan. Bake the brownies for roughly 45 minutes. The brownie top will create a shiny crust and the batter will be moist but firm. Cool the brownies in the pan on a rack. When cool, you can wrap them in platic and keep them at room temperature or refrigerate them until the next day. Chocolate desserts always taste better after they have aged a day.
Remove the brownies from the pan and have them right side up. Trim the hard edges and reserve for another purpose. Cut them into 24 equal sized squares. I like to dust them before serving with powdered sugar if I am not serving them a la mode with hot fudge sauce.

Last edited:
Thanks to you I have to make brownies tonight. This craving will not pass!

The test kitchen has a recipe just like this...Differences 25% less chocolate and butter, also they use all white sugar and baking powder...I've always thought ATK were a 60% fudgy/40% cake like...

These are in the oven now, I did add baking powder, but did everything else...

My tips are:

Use a huge NON-metal bowl, put the chocolate and butter in the bowl and a piece of saran wrap directly over the butter/chocolate...Microwave it, takes 2 mins for me...Remove from microwave and remove saran wrap. Whisk the melted chocolate and butter mixture until smooth...Now add the brown sugar, don't worry about brown sugar clumps!!!...Whisk the bejesus out of the chocolate, butter and brown sugar mixture, that will take care of any clumps! Then add the white sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour...I eyeball the vanilla and salt...By doing so, you end up using only one bowl, one measuring cup, one whisk and scraper...Very easy clean-up vs double broilers and multiple mixing bowls...

I came across a similar recipe titled the same on Tastespotting a couple weeks ago . I tweaked it a bit and thought they were delicious although they did end up resembling blondies more so than brownies for me , for some reason.

I still prefer my favorite brownie recipe that I always go back to.

That sounds great! This is my favorite recipe -- I think it's probably less dense than PieSusan's version, although not really like cake.

BROWNIES

2 ounces bittersweet (baking) chocolate
¼ cup butter (½ stick)
2 eggs (room temperature)
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated white sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease 8-inch X 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan.

3. Break chocolate into pieces and put in glass measuring cup; add butter; microwave on high about 30 second, just until butter has melted; remove from microwave and stir; if chocolate has not melted completely, return to microwave for 10 seconds, then stir again; repeat until chocolate is just barely melted; set aside to cool (do not use while still hot).

4. Beat eggs & salt with whisk in large bowl until light and foamy.

5. Gradually add sugar to eggs, whisking well after each addition; beat until very smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes.

6. Add vanilla to egg mixture and whisk until incorporated.

7. Add cooled chocolate and butter mixture to egg mixture; fold together with a rubber spatula.

8. Before chocolate and egg mixtures are completely mixed together, add flour; continue folding.

9. Before flour is completely mixed in, add nuts; continue folding just until mixture is evenly colored.

10. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 minutes; center will appear crusty but will be quite soft; cake is done when it just begins to pull away from sides of pan.

11. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

That sounds great! This is my favorite recipe -- I think it's probably less dense than PieSusan's version, although not really like cake.

BROWNIES

2 ounces bittersweet (baking) chocolate
¼ cup butter (½ stick)
2 eggs (room temperature)
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated white sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease 8-inch X 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan.

3. Break chocolate into pieces and put in glass measuring cup; add butter; microwave on high about 30 second, just until butter has melted; remove from microwave and stir; if chocolate has not melted completely, return to microwave for 10 seconds, then stir again; repeat until chocolate is just barely melted; set aside to cool (do not use while still hot).

4. Beat eggs & salt with whisk in large bowl until light and foamy.

5. Gradually add sugar to eggs, whisking well after each addition; beat until very smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes.

6. Add vanilla to egg mixture and whisk until incorporated.

7. Add cooled chocolate and butter mixture to egg mixture; fold together with a rubber spatula.

8. Before chocolate and egg mixtures are completely mixed together, add flour; continue folding.

9. Before flour is completely mixed in, add nuts; continue folding just until mixture is evenly colored.

10. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 minutes; center will appear crusty but will be quite soft; cake is done when it just begins to pull away from sides of pan.

11. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

Seems like this yields thin brownies. Not that it's a bad thing, but just wanted to set expectations...

Tried the brownies from the OP...VERY FUDGE-LIKE and chewy...Too much for me and my guests...I may try this again and put a total of 2.5 cups of flour, still minimal mixing to prevent gluten...

Edit: Just wanted to add, if you like fudge-like, this is the recipe for you :D

I have yet to meet a brownie recipe that I didn't like and this one sounds awesome. I like to make a Martha Stewart super fudgy brownie recipe which is similar to the one Susan posted but it makes a smaller batch (and thus less guilt when I devour the whole pan).

Back
Top Bottom