The Chief's Rice Crisp Treats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Yeh, so I can't leave well enough alone. I was hungry for rice cereal treats, but not the same ole, same ole. I wanted then to be gooeyer, and have more flavor. Here's what I did, and it worked. In essence, I made a buttery caramel, with added marshmallow, and rice crispy cereal. here's the recipe. Of course you can change it to your favorite flavors as well.

Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 tsp, vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
1 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly. Using a candy thermometer, bring the temperature up to 230; F. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 package of miniature marshmallows until smooth. Add 5 cups crisp rice cereal and stir until well combines. Remove from the pan, into a foil-lined, buttered rectanglular pan and put into the fridge to cool.

I can see added cinnamon, or using brown sugar, or even adding fruit extracts, such as orange, or strawberry. You could add chocolate chips, or chocolate nibs.

Thte point is, why settle for ordinary, when you can make it extraordinary. My version came out like a soft caramel, not caramel syrup, but something you can handle in your fingers, very buttery and smooth, with the crunch of crisp rice cereal. I like it.

How do you alter the basice Rice Krispy Treats recipe at your house?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I haven't made them in years and will probably never make them again but...

If you are making them for kids try shaking up the basic recipe and using different cereals like Froot Loops, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, etc...

If you are on a tight budget try making them with fresh-popped corn.

Also, consider spreading them out in a sheet pan and using them as construction material for a holiday house or cottage.

Don't be afraid to play with your food!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom