Tiramisu.. next step up..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks wyswig and fischer's mom for the egg cooking method. I do admit however that I am a bit lazy ;) to go through all this effort for very little to no enhancement in the flavor of the end product.

I like to do all the mixing in my kitchenaid. The fewer the dishes to tackle cleaning the better for me.
You know, I really debated about the double boiler method. If I didn't do that, it would have been so quick to put together and fewer things to clean up. But being new to real cooking, I have been reading all the posts about raw eggs and so I didn't know what to do. I actually posted here asking what everyone else does but I got no response. I used my KitchenAid mixer too and this was a snap to make - except for the double boiler step.

My recipe that I use calls for egg yolks only, which I also prepare in a double broiler. I've never heard of a recipe using the whole egg before.

JulesMichy,
Perhaps I wasn't 100% clear, the recipe I posted is with yolks. The egg's white are folded later after being whipped to from stiff peaks.
Fisher's Mom,
I think Cooks Illustrated recommends using a mixer to prepare the mascarpone mix. Cooking the yolks is an extra step that is always good, better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
My recipe that I use calls for egg yolks only, which I also prepare in a double broiler. I've never heard of a recipe using the whole egg before.

Julesmichy, the Italians ALWAYS use whole eggs in their Tiramisu. The white is beaten and used to lighten the marscapone/yolk/sugar mix. The egg is not cooked in any way. I know in America there may be problems with eggs but in Italy, everyone uses whole eggs raw in so many things. Also, they use espresso AND liqueur together, in Tiramisu, not one or the other. :)

If you cant find mascarpone, you can replace it, with full fat Greek yogurt, it works, very well!

Julesmichy, the Italians ALWAYS use whole eggs in their Tiramisu. The white is beaten and used to lighten the marscapone/yolk/sugar mix. The egg is not cooked in any way. I know in America there may be problems with eggs but in Italy, everyone uses whole eggs raw in so many things. Also, they use espresso AND liqueur together, in Tiramisu, not one or the other. :)

As I said, actual tiramisu contains espresso instead of a coffee-flavored liqueur such as Kahlua. I said it doesn't necessarily have to contain liqueur because I prefer it without the liqueur, because I find that it makes it too sweet. And my recipe calls for heavy whipping cream instead of beating the egg whites. I had never heard of using the whole egg before.

Last edited:
I like to use very strong coffee or espresso, and Brandy. Then it's not too sweet yet has alot of flavor...
And in some instances, a bit of a kick!

Back
Top Bottom