TNT Mexican Brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNPiccolo5

Senior Cook
OK, this is a recipe I've spent a couple tries developing, but I got the idea and lots of help from a local bakery. These are brown-sugar cinnamon brownies. You may think it sounds wierd, but it is in fact, very good. Think Chocolate Cinnamon Roll!

Mexican Brownies with Penuche Icing

Brownies

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
4 oz unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
3 extra large eggs OR 4 large eggs
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tb + 1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips

1. Put chocolate chips in freezer, pre heat oven 350
2. Melt chocolate, butter, sugar over low heat, or over a double boiler
3. Remove from heat and add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition
4. Add cinnamon, salt, and vanilla
5. Add flour, let brownie batter cool to room temperature.
6. Add chocolate chips, spread in 10x10 pan (they didn't work in 8x8 for me), bake for 20 minutes, then let cool.

Penuche Icing

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tb. Butter
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar

1. Over low heat, bring butter, sugar, cream, to a boil, whisking.
2. Remove from heat, add vanilla and confectioner's sugar and whisk until smooth, then let sit 10 minutes.
3. Whisk again until thick, then pour over brownies.
4. Let sit 1 hour.

Hope someone tries these! These are my favorite brownies!

-Tim

I've copied your recipe to try. It sounds great.
Have you ever used Ibarra Mexican chocolate? The cocoa beans and cinnamon are processed together. It comes in disks that are meant to be broken apart for making hot chocolate, but it works great in desserts, too.
2544.html
http://www.mexgrocer.com/2544.html

I used to do a Mexican Chocolate/Cinn pudding on some catering jobs - folks just love that combination.

Your recipe is duly copied!!! Thanks Tim!

Schadenfreude said:
Good stuff! Problem is, I love eating the discs straight out of the package. :pig:
Have to say I haven't tried it that way! :rolleyes:
The little triangles are hard to break apart - wonder you don't break a tooth.

Where could I find the Mexican Chocolate? It's a great idea. The cinnamon-chocolate combo is one of my favorites now. It tastes sooo good! No bake cookies with cinnamon and chocolate cupcakes with brown sugar icing are some of favorites, now. That pudding sounds delicious, cjs!

-Tim

Tim, here is the recipe. You'll have to play with the seasoning qtys - the recipe I made serves ~80. The toasted coconut really puts this over the top - and I'm not even a coconut fan...

CINNAMON CHOCOLATE PUDDING
Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Ortega Mexican cooking
Serving Size : 10

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/3 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
16 fl. oz. Evaporated milk
4 ounces Semi-sweet Chocolate morsels
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
Garnish:
1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted

Combine sugar, cornstarch & cinn. in med. saucepan; gradually stir in evap. milk.
Stir in morsels & egg yolks. (for large batches, temper egg yolks first)
Bring to a boil over med. heat, stirring constantly, till mixture is thickened.
Pour chocolate mix. into dessert cups or large bowl. Chill for at least 1 hour.
Sprinkle w/toasted coconut
Description:
"PUDÍN DE CHOCOLATE Y CANELA"

Serving Ideas : for Brewfest - use 1.7 oz. scoop per serving.
-----

Looking at the 'serving ideas' again, I remember how well this went with a particular beer...I'll have to look for my notes and see which one it was.

I buy it at our International Market or those tiny Mexican shops in strip malls.

I'm on the way to the kitchen to make a batch now. Hubby has been a very good boy this week.

If you have a Wal-Mart or other well-stocked grocery store, try looking in the International aisle with all the Mexican/Hispanic stuff. I have a box of Abuelita (made by Nestle) Mexican Chocolate in my pantry right now, that I picked up here in Michigan.

pdswife said:
I'm on the way to the kitchen to make a batch now. Hubby has been a very good boy this week.

Omg, you're actually trying it... lol! How'd they turn out?

I'll definitely be looking for that Mexican Chocolate next time I'm in the grocery store... can you imagine chocolate chip cookies with this stuff instead of regular chocolate chips?! I've been putting cinnamon in everything chocolate now... I'll probably get sick of it soon... haha!

-Tim

Hi Tim... we just finished dinner dessert is still an hour or so away.

They smell great!
I'm thinking that the frosting should have been a little thicker? Maybe, it's tooo hot here to firm up the way it should.

I'll let ya know how we like them!

Thanks!!!

The frosting can take varying times to set up- but it never gets completely firm. It stays soft, but solid enough to keep its shape when you cut it. Temperature/humidity could definitely play a role... Lots of my friends like them heated up in the microwave until the icing melts, and then with ice cream... lol! Hope you liked them!

-Tim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom