Too much Raspberry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Ia made some chewey brownies with 4 1/2 oz. 70% cocoa, tempered chocolate, 8 tbs butter, a pinch of slat, 2 eggs, 2 tbs. un-dutched cocoa powder, 2 1/2 cups sugar, and 1/2 cup of flour. I divided the batter in half and placed buttered parchment paper in the baking pan. I cooked half the batter, removed from the pan, and cooled it while the 2nd batch was cooking. When the 2nd batch was done, the first brownie was cool to the touch. I cooled the 2nd brownie in the pan and spread it with heated, seedless raspberry jam, about 6 oz worth. I then placed the 1rst brownie on top and chilled the whole thing. I inverted the pan and cute the brownies into squares.

I served these up at our work pot-luck today. People liked them. I thought that the raspberry jam overpowered the brownie. Now from the ingredient list, these brownies are chocolate intensive. I never would have though that the raspberry jam could have overpowered that much chocolate flavor.

Any ideas. I'm thinking that a smaller amount of jam might do the trick. Over all, the recipe shows progmise.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hadn't thought so, either. Chocolate and raspberry are combined in lots of things. Maybe it's how to accommodate proportionally more raspberry than usual. I wonder if a shift to more of a milk chocolate base would work. Berries and cream, you know. Or maybe a raspberry cream in place of the jam.

But of course there's no such thing as a bad brownie. :yum:

What size was the pan, Chief? 6 ounces of jam spread over a 9x9 is a lot thicker than the same amount spread over 9x13...

What size was the pan, Chief? 6 ounces of jam spread over a 9x9 is a lot thicker than the same amount spread over 9x13...

Yep, it was a 9X9 pan. Everyone liked it but me. I didn't feel like the flavors were properly balanced. Having an educated palate can be both a blessing, and sometimes a curse/ It's too true that we are our own worst critics. Sometimes, good, just isn't good enough.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yep, it was a 9X9 pan. Everyone liked it but me. I didn't feel like the flavors were properly balanced. Having an educated palate can be both a blessing, and sometimes a curse/ It's too true that we are our own worst critics. Sometimes, good, just isn't good enough.:LOL:

Maybe just half the raspberry would give you that hint of flavor without it being overpowering. I know all too well about having too much of a flavor. You want the chocolate with that little burst, not hanging heavy.

Raspberry can be a very strong flavor. I vote for decreasing the amount of raspberry...but just to be sure you should probably bake some and bring them down to me. I'll know more then.

Raspberry can be a very strong flavor. I vote for decreasing the amount of raspberry...but just to be sure you should probably bake some and bring them down to me. I'll know more then.

I was thinking the same thing...:rolleyes:

i like brownies with a lot of extra things, but raspberry isn't one of them for this exact reason. both chocolate and raspberry are very strong, tastebud saturating flavours, so putting the two of them together would be like both members of a dance team trying to lead.

so, in the spirit of the thread, i'd say to reduce the raspberry so it's only a bit player.

Head cook of tribe (HC for short); "Hey Chief, reduce the raspberry."
Chief; "What! Are you out of your mind? Raspberry rocks!"
HC; "You got rocks in your head maybe."
Chief; "Hey, watch it there Mr. You may be the head cook, but I'm still the chief."
HC; "Yeh, you're a legend in your own mind."
Chief; "At least I've got a mind, not like you, the guy who once put cinnamon in his marinara.:ROFLMAO:"
HC; "Hey, that's not fair. You know the spice bottle was labeled Garlic."
Chief; "I'm just sayin'. Raspberry and chocolate are naturals, as a pair. They compliment each other so well. Yum."
HC; "Listen ya big goon. When you get one of those yummy raspberry truffles from the candy company, what's it taste like? It tastes like a sweet, raspberry flavored filling, with a mild raspberry flavor, not like eating real raspberries. The raspberry flavor is diluted. Similar to what BC said, raspberry and chocolate are like to dancers, each wanting to lead. Well, I'll liken them to a figure skating pair. One is supposed to lead (chocolate), with the other artistically skating to add depth and beauty to the program (raspberry). If the leader is working with a prima-donna, then she's liable to throw him a body check that will knock him right over the boards!

Though chocolate can be a strong flavor, it also becomes subtle, almost barely noticeable where other strong flavors are present. Think mocha, or a good chili where chocolate has been added to add depth. In mocha, the coffee is supposed to take backstage to the chocolate. Add to much coffee, and the coffee flavor becomes dominant. And too much chocolate in chili can ruin a great pot of red. The same is true of the raspberry. If you use straight up raspberry flavor, in a brownie that has a more subtle chocolate flavor (and yes, though there is a lot of chocolate there, it's been diluted by a bunch of sugar and butter, and flour) the rich chocolate flavor will easily be overpowered by the raspberry."

Chief; "Hmmmmm. HC, either you're a genius, or you've been listening to those folks on DC. And I'm pretty sure that you're not a genius. So, what do you suggest, oh short one."

HC; "Watch it Chief. Remember who makes your dinner. A little bit of this, and a little bit of that can certainly alter the flavor of your egg rolls tonight, and not for the better."

Chief; "Touchy aren't we. And you better not mess with my egg rolls. Remember King Henry the 8th, well I've been studying his style of ruling. Let me see, what was that phrase he was so fond of saying? Oh yeh, "Off with his head!" Now, where were we"

HC; :ohmy:"Er, um, take your raspberry jam and make a cream filling, like a raspberry flavored icing. This will give you that marriage of two great flavors that go oh so well together, and still allow the rich chocolate flavor of your brownies to shine through."

Chief; "I knew I chose you as head cook for a reason. So who are we going to use as guinea pigs for the next batch? I mean, who will be the next grateful group to partake of this fabulous experiment?"

HC; "If you're making them, then I think you were right the first time.:ROFLMAO: If I'm making them, then definitely, the second phrase was correct.:chef: And I think it'll be a while before we have occasion to make them again. Just remember this conversation. Write it down or something."

Chief; "Good idea. I'll write it down. And for that remark about my cooking, after you make those egg rolls tonight, the latrine needs cleaning. And remember Henry the 8th.:LOL:"

HC; "Mutter, grumble. stupid Chief :angry:"

And yes everyone, I do talk to myself, because sometimes, there isn't anyone in the room with enough intelligence to engage in good conversation.:ROFLMAO:.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
ROFL...and here I thought you were talking the Mrs. Chief...

What, you think I'm suicidal! Mrs. Chief made a lot of money teaching Henry the 8th his unique ruling style. I have to state though, that Genghis Khan was her best student.

:ermm: Oh, I didn't say that. Everybody keep quiet, or no brownies for you. It's my world and I make the law. :ohmy:She didn't hear that did she?:LOL:

"Chief, I heard that. Come here right now.:bash:

Yipe!:eek: Gotta run.

What, you think I'm suicidal! Mrs. Chief made a lot of money teaching Henry the 8th his unique ruling style. I have to state though, that Genghis Khan was her best student.

:ermm: Oh, I didn't say that. Everybody keep quiet, or no brownies for you. It's my world and I make the law. :ohmy:She didn't hear that did she?:LOL:

"Chief, I heard that. Come here right now.:bash:

Yipe!:eek: Gotta run.

At least our Dear Henry knew what to do about wives who didn't please him.

Back
Top Bottom