Turtle shortbread bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Base:

1 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour

Use your hands to blend this together and pat into the bottom of a 9x9 inch pan. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside for a bit, but leave the oven on.

Caramel layer:

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsps whipping cream

Melt butter and sugar together on the stove at medium heat. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, whisk in cream and pour over shortbread base. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until caramel looks "set". Can be jiggly but not too runny.

When you remove it from the oven sprinkle one cup of chocolate chips evenly over top. Let it melt for a bit and then swirl a knife or something through it. You can smear it over top too, but its likely they will sink and you'll only be able to swirl it.

Last edited:
Oops! I added that in. You put it in after you take the caramel off the heat. Thanks Dave!

You're welcome! That makes sense, the cream would prevent the caramel from forming if you added earlier wouldn't it.

Think so. Honestly, I just make it...I never questioned the science. I think thats right on target.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom