What is the right sugar to use for this recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caster sugar is called superfine sugar in the USA. If you don't want to buy some, put some granulated sugar in a blender or food processor and let it run for a while. The sugar will have finer grains.

Use light brown sugar unless dark is specified.

...Use light brown sugar unless dark is specified.

Is that the rule of thumb when using brown sugar for anything?
I hate when recipes don't specify which they want you to use, when there are clearly two types.

We have light, golden, and dark here (as standard types). And then the exotics--muscavodo (which my package says contains molasses as well). I haven't used it, yet. I inherited it from my friend the retired pastry chef.

Brown sugar is simply granulated sugar with molasses added. Dark brown sugar contains more molasses.

Caster sugar is called superfine sugar in the USA. If you don't want to buy some, put some granulated sugar in a blender or food processor and let it run for a while. The sugar will have finer grains.

Use light brown sugar unless dark is specified.

hmmmm I always use dark unless light is specified. I like the butterscotchy taste.

Brownies are very forgiving, though. You can pretty much use whatever sugar you have, and they will be fine.

OK, We'll call it a toss up then. No rule of thumb, just personal preference. Maybe that is why a lot of recipes don't specify which to use.

Here is an interesting article that details the differences between some of the sugars being discussed.

It's got a nifty formula for converting white cane sugar into brown sugar..."For domestic purposes one can create the exact equivalent of brown sugar by mixing white sugar with molasses. Suitable proportions would be about one tablespoon of molasses to each cup of sugar (one-sixteenth or 6.25% of the total volume). Blend it well, either manually or in a blender. This proportion yields dark brown sugar; for lighter sugar, reduce the proportion of molasses according to taste. If the requirement is for cooking rather than a product for the table, then blending usually is unnecessary and the sugar and molasses can be added separately."

The recipe I'm used to seeing is one tablespoon of molasses to a cup of sugar for light brown and two tablespoons to a cup for dark brown. I guess it depends where you look. You can always make it with less molasses and add more if you like.

What is the difference?

From Wikipedia:

To make molasses, the cane of a sugar plant is harvested and stripped of its leaves. Its juice is extracted usually by crushing or mashing, but also by cutting. The juice is boiled to concentrate it, which promotes the crystallization of the sugar. The result of this first boiling and of the sugar crystals is first molasses, which has the highest sugar content because comparatively little sugar has been extracted from the source. Second molasses is created from a second boiling and sugar extraction, and has a slight bitter tinge to its taste.
The third boiling of the sugar syrup makes blackstrap molasses. The term is an Americanism dating from around 1920. The majority of sucrose from the original juice has been crystallized and removed. The calorie content of blackstrap molasses is still mostly from the small remaining sugar content.[2] However, unlike refined sugars, it contains trace amounts of vitamins and significant amounts of several minerals. Blackstrap molasses is a source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron; one tablespoon provides up to 20% of the daily value of each of those nutrients.[3] Blackstrap has long been sold as a health supplement. It is also used in the manufacture of ethyl alcohol for industry and as an ingredient in cattle feed.

Thanks Andy. What is the difference in taste? Sweetness? I have always just used blackstrap molasses. Would "fancy" be the first molasses?

Thanks Andy. What is the difference in taste? Sweetness? I have always just used blackstrap molasses. Would "fancy" be the first molasses?

According to Wiki, blackstrap is more bitter and less sweet. First is sweetest. I assume first is the fancy.

I've also understood it was 1 tbsp molasses to 1 cup brown sugar for light, 2 tbsp molasses for dark. This produces the same product that you would see in the stores.

I buy light brown and add the appropriate amount of molasses to the recipe if it calls for dark, no need to have both in the house.

I've also understood it was 1 tbsp molasses to 1 cup brown sugar for light, 2 tbsp molasses for dark. This produces the same product that you would see in the stores.

I buy light brown and add the appropriate amount of molasses to the recipe if it calls for dark, no need to have both in the house.

Great idea. I really like the flavour of dark brown sugar. I only buy the light one when that is all that is available.

Why thank you. I always have molasses on hand and the thought just hit me one day. I'm always looking for easier ways to do things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom