Why foil and not parchment???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Hi, kids. I found a recipe for Raspberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars. They tell you to line your 8 X 8 cooking dish with greased foil.

Delicious Raspberry Oatmeal Cookie Bars - Printer Friendly - Allrecipes.com

First of all, why wouldn't parchment be used? I have never heard of lining with foil.

However, if there is some good reason to use foil instead of parchment, something an expert baker would know, do you butter the bottom of the pan, then put the foil in (so it stays put); or the other way around?

Hope someone can advise me. Many thanx. - Daizy.

Parchment paper in baking hasn't been mainstream all that long, so a lot of older recipes use foil. I have never heard of greasing the pan before putting in the foil, as they say to do in the recipe.

I agree with TL, use what you have on hand.

Those bars would be a great way to use up the leftover canned whole berry cranberry sauce from a holiday meal! :yum:

Thanks v. much to the both of you for your helpful replies. :yum:

Aunt Bea: I was wondering if it absolutely had to be raspberry jam, all I have is strawberry and some other jams I made. Your suggestion that cranberry sauce would be do-able answered my question in advance.

Aunt Bea: I was wondering if it absolutely had to be raspberry jam, all I have is strawberry and some other jams I made. Your suggestion that cranberry sauce would be do-able answered my question in advance.

You can use any jam you like.

The only caution I would give is to stick with jam. Jelly is likely to melt and disappear into the bottom crust. If your jam is "runny" stir in a teaspoon of cornstarch and it will absorb some of the moisture while the bars bake. If you do experiment and the bars don't turn out right then call it a crisp or a crumble, serve it warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream! :pig:

If you do experiment and the bars don't turn out right then call it a crisp or a crumble, serve it warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream! :pig:

LOL!! Aunty Bea is right creative...

Could the directions be incomplete? Such as to make the foil long enough to hang over the edges on all sides in order to be able to lift out and remove from the foil? Like brownie recipes call for? :angel:

Possibly, Addie. But that won't work too good with foil, because it would rip when you try to lift the bars out. Parchment is the way to go. Tks to all! Strawberry bars for Christmas!

My mother used to make this with whole berry cranberry sauce and it was called Cranberry Crunch Bars. She made it every holiday season and we loved them. I made them once for my family and nobody liked them with the cranberry. I guess I could use a different flavor jam, but they seem to want everything to contain chocolate. LOL

My mother used to make this with whole berry cranberry sauce and it was called Cranberry Crunch Bars. She made it every holiday season and we loved them. I made them once for my family and nobody liked them with the cranberry. I guess I could use a different flavor jam, but they seem to want everything to contain chocolate. LOL

You could go with this fudge filling.
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups chopped walnuts

Combine the condensed milk and chips in a saucepan and heat until melted,stirring constantly or zap them in the microwave using short bursts and stir between zaps. Add walnuts, spread on prepared base, top with reserved crumbs and bake as directed.

You would need to make 2 1/2 - 3 times the amount of crumb mixture, enough to fill a 10x15 rimmed baking sheet, in order to use this amount of filling.

Back
Top Bottom