1/16/2019 - Nat'l Fig Newton Day - Whatcha Cookin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks and sounds good, kgirl! :yum:

A friend of mine has a fig tree in her back yard, and makes her own Fig Newtons. OMGosh, they are SO good. She usually makes them for bake sales around town. They put store bought Fig Newtons to shame. :yum:

I'll be having spaghetti and garlic bread for this afternoon's dinner. The sauce is simmering on the stove and getting happy - sure smells good in here.

No fig newton cookies here, but I do have dried figs. Newton, MA is about 50 miles away. :huh: I suppose I could take my figs to Newton to eat...:LOL:

We'll be having breakfast for supper. I put a small casserole dish of overnight French toast into the fridge last night; that's going into the toaster oven momentarily. The rest of supper will be link sausages, some sort of omelet, and sauteed apples.

Looks good, k-girl.

I could go for some warm cornbread and butter. :yum:

Or some of Cheryl's neighbor's fig newtons. :yum:

We won't be cooking anything for some time. Half of the kichen was torn out today. Last Thursday, I noticed a small puddle of water in front of the dishwasher. I cleaned it up, but it kept coming back.

When the plumber came on Friday and pulled out the dishwasher, he noticed that the leak must have been going on for some time as it damaged the wood floors all the way through to the sub-floor, and there was mold under half of the cabinets and the drywall behind them.

Thank God my wife knew to insure our house with full replacement value when we bought it a few ywars ago.
It looks like there's enough damage that we may be getting a whole new kitchen, plus the wood floors throughout the house will be repaired, sanded and resealed.

Also, as part of the insurance is coverage for lack of use, we have $$$ that we can spend (woohoo!) on having to eat out every day

Lol, my wife is already planning on what expensive restaurants that she wants to go to next week.

Anyway, without the ability to cook, I picked up fish to slice for sashimi tonight, plus some store made sushi rolls (California, Alaska, Philadelphia, and shrimp tempura rolls).

Besides the rolls, salmon, tuna, and eel tonight, plus seaweed salad and kimchi:

Attachments

• 0116191735.jpg
    0116191735.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 125
  • 0116191735a.jpg
    0116191735a.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Antipasti meal tonight. Thin sliced porchetta from the freezer on flatbread with garlic, basil, fennel pollen aioli. Stuffed baby eggplant. Multicolored carrots and red leek agrodolche. Market tomato, boccatini, basil salad with balsamic, garlic oil dressing .

Attachments

• 2019-01-16 18.43.21.jpg
    2019-01-16 18.43.21.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 122
Lol, med. My wife is praying the damage is enough to pass the threshhold for all new floors and kitchen.

I hope this ends up being the silver lining to a dark cloud, bucky! Thank goodness it was well-insured. :)

What a mess in the meantime, though. If it were during warmer months, at least you'd be able to grill and have outdoor cookouts....:chef:

Looks and sounds good, kgirl! :yum:

A friend of mine has a fig tree in her back yard, and makes her own Fig Newtons. OMGosh, they are SO good. She usually makes them for bake sales around town. They put store bought Fig Newtons to shame. :yum:

We had a great fig tree in the yard at our lake house in East Texas. The deer left them alone. We used my mom's recipe from somewhere in her family tree to make fig cookies that were sooooooo much better than Fig Newtons.

They had a very short shelf life -- no preservatives and other chemicals. They got mushy after three-or four days. But, they rarely lasted that long before we ate them. I could eat a dozen a day. My dad could finish what I didn't eat. The rest of the family had to move fast, or get nothing. :yum:

As for tonight, no fig newtons, just leftover steak and taters. Just as good tonight.

Oh, I went to lunch with my flight attendant neighbor. When he is in town, we try to grab some lunch, preferably someplace new. Around where we live, it will take years to run out of places we haven't eaten before. I had a good BLT, and he had a good Cheesesteak. We both had a cold, local draft beer.

CD

Last edited:
Oh, BTW, my neighbor like's to shop. So, we usually do some shopping, which means window shopping for me. We went to Boot Town after lunch, as it was right around the corner.

Sorry for the major threadjack. My evil neighbor made me do it.

I haven't had cowboy boots in 15 years. But, I started snooping around while he was buying a belt, and found a beautiful pair of Handmade Lucchese boots that were marked down fifty bucks, due to a blemish on the inside stitching. I got the manager to knock another 15-percent off.

So, I now have a pair of handmade Lucchese full-quill ostrich boots for around 400 bucks. So, when I meet up with Buckytom in NYC, I will be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqHDTiVN-0g

Apologies for the major threadjack. But, there have been worse. :angel:

Hey, if I come to visit you from Dallas, would you want me to be wearing my Birkenstocks?

https://www.lucchese.com/shop/boots/cliff/CL1118.W8

CD

Last edited:
Cool boots, cd.

bucky, sorry to hear that your kitchen is trashed. Don't know why you still can't cook, though. I was still making meals when we lost power for nearly three days back in 2011. :-p I hope you're up and running soon.

Tonight's meal. The apples were extra yummy - I splashed some Bourbon on them. Twice. [emoji38]
IMG_20190116_200920854.jpg

... snipped ...
So, I now have a pair of handmade Lucchese full-quill ostrich boots for around 400 bucks. So, when I meet up with Buckytom in NYC, I will be...

CD

Oh my goodness Casey!
If I spent $400 on a pair of Cowboy Boots, you know for sure they would NOT be going out on the range those pictures of the cowboys on the website.
No way, no how!
That's what the Tractor Supply is for, for those rough and tumble sort of boots!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/moretta-womens-moretta-clio-paddock-boot?cm_vc=-10005
I have two pairs of boots, one black and one brown.
The black pair are "goin' to meetin'" boots :LOL:

Cool boots, cd.

bucky, sorry to hear that your kitchen is trashed. Don't know why you still can't cook, though. I was still making meals when we lost power for nearly three days back in 2011. :-p I hope you're up and running soon.

Tonight's meal. The apples were extra yummy - I splashed some Bourbon on them. Twice. [emoji38]
View attachment 33117

:ROFLMAO:

And how many splashes went into your glass CG? ;)

Oh my goodness Casey!
If I spent $400 on a pair of Cowboy Boots, you know for sure they would NOT be going out on the range those pictures of the cowboys on the website.
No way, no how!
That's what the Tractor Supply is for, for those rough and tumble sort of boots!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/moretta-womens-moretta-clio-paddock-boot?cm_vc=-10005
I have two pairs of boots, one black and one brown.
The black pair are "goin' to meetin'" boots :LOL:

LOL, K-girl. Those new boots are actually pretty durable, but they are definitely "dress boots." The won't see much mud and stuff. LOL.

The price was too good to pass up. I will only wear them for "formal" Texas occasions.

They should last me the rest of my lifetime.

I'm not native Texan, and don't want to be... but I do love me some ZZ-Top. More on those boots....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB3SOEsk3zw

CD

Last edited:
Thanks Cheryl, Roc, and CG. With all of our pets (3 parrots, 4 cats, and a turtle) the logistics of feeding them will be a bit more difficult having no kitchen, especially the sink.

CG, the only thing left in the kitchen is an island, and upper cabinets. Oh, and the nuker. No stove, no sink. All pots and pans are boxed up.

I bought a bunch of frozen Korean meals as well as the fish, so we'll have to get by with the microwave and slow cooker if we get tired of eating out.

This is going to take a month or more.

Oh, BTW, my neighbor like's to shop. So, we usually do some shopping, which means window shopping for me. We went to Boot Town after lunch, as it was right around the corner.

Sorry for the major threadjack. My evil neighbor made me do it.

I haven't had cowboy boots in 15 years. But, I started snooping around while he was buying a belt, and found a beautiful pair of Handmade Lucchese boots that were marked down fifty bucks, due to a blemish on the inside stitching. I got the manager to knock another 15-percent off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqHDTiVN-0g

Apologies for the major threadjack. But, there have been worse. :angel:

Hey, if I come to visit you from Dallas, would you want me to be wearing my Birkenstocks?

https://www.lucchese.com/shop/boots/cliff/CL1118.W8

CD

I still have a coupla pairs of boots, grey/blue python, and brown lizrd skin, from back in the 80s. I wonder if they still fit? They'll stretch.

We can both look like tourists. I'm sure you have extra cameras to hang around our necks.

And extra fanny packs. :cool:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the kitchen damage, Bucky. I can relate to that, since I had a drain pipe from the upstairs that sprung a leak behind the range, and they had to break out the wall, to get to it. And moving a 2500 lb range was not that easy! lol

No fig newtons here, either, though I was thinking of making something with the dried figs (usually something I just have here to snack on). Eventually, it got too late...

I had more freezer leftovers - a lamb stew, which I served with some of that leftover basmati rice in the fridge. The best part of the dinner was the salad, however - freshly cut lettuce, of two types, some mizuna, some chives, and a little basil. I almost went down to get some more, but again, too late.
Greens and herbs, from hydroponics:
IMG_20190116_200652123 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished salad:
Hydroponics salad. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom