"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I've never been one for pointy toed shoes, either. My feet are square toed, and it's always been hard to find comfortable shoes, esp. since I need size 16 EEEE!

Back to topic - a day late, but all the talk about figs got me thinking about them. So this morning I cut some up, and put them in the IP with some steel cut oats, water, and a little honey. Set it for 5 min., then after the pressure released for 5 min., I released it manually. Turned out great! The figs were really dried out, and the pressure cooking softened them just right.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

We won't be cooking anything for some time. Half of the kichen was torn out today. Last Thursday, I noticed a small puddle of water in front of the dishwasher. I cleaned it up, but it kept coming back.

When the plumber came on Friday and pulled out the dishwasher, he noticed that the leak must have been going on for some time as it damaged the wood floors all the way through to the sub-floor, and there was mold under half of the cabinets and the drywall behind them.

Thank God my wife knew to insure our house with full replacement value when we bought it a few ywars ago.
It looks like there's enough damage that we may be getting a whole new kitchen, plus the wood floors throughout the house will be repaired, sanded and resealed.

Also, as part of the insurance is coverage for lack of use, we have $$$ that we can spend (woohoo!) on having to eat out every day.
Hi Bucky, so sorry about all of this. We went through the same thing about 8 years ago. I hope you have a better contractor than we did. The guy took the insurance money and gave us cheap cra* . Keep a close eye on them.

What we did was set up the kitchen on the dining room table and cooked most meals using our electric wok. Worked great for us.

Good luck!!

cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Kudos to anyone who makes good Fig Newtons. I traded some of our backyard honey to a friend for a few pounds of her backyard figs a few years ago and made Fig Newtons. The dough is very finicky and was difficult for me to work with. DH said they tasted great but they weren't very pretty

Last night was the Third Wednesday Sushi Night at a local seafood restaurant. We shared a tempura shrimp roll and then each had an order of their tempura shrimp tacos. Love the shrimp!
Click image for larger version

Name:	0116191905.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	33131Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-01-17_12.29.12.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	33132
Old 01-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Small pasta shells in a hot dog, tomato and onion sauce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hot_dogs_tomato_onion_011619_IMG_5298.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	33133
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Looks good, k-girl.

I could go for some warm cornbread and butter.

Or some of Cheryl's neighbor's fig newtons.

We won't be cooking anything for some time. Half of the kichen was torn out today. Last Thursday, I noticed a small puddle of water in front of the dishwasher. I cleaned it up, but it kept coming back.

When the plumber came on Friday and pulled out the dishwasher, he noticed that the leak must have been going on for some time as it damaged the wood floors all the way through to the sub-floor, and there was mold under half of the cabinets and the drywall behind them.

Thank God my wife knew to insure our house with full replacement value when we bought it a few ywars ago.
It looks like there's enough damage that we may be getting a whole new kitchen, plus the wood floors throughout the house will be repaired, sanded and resealed.

Also, as part of the insurance is coverage for lack of use, we have $$$ that we can spend (woohoo!) on having to eat out every day

Lol, my wife is already planning on what expensive restaurants that she wants to go to next week.

Anyway, without the ability to cook, I picked up fish to slice for sashimi tonight, plus some store made sushi rolls (California, Alaska, Philadelphia, and shrimp tempura rolls).

Besides the rolls, salmon, tuna, and eel tonight, plus seaweed salad and kimchi:
Damn Bucky that sucks! Look on the bright side and add an XL BGE to the allowance for cooking meals!
Old 01-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Kudos to anyone who makes good Fig Newtons. I traded some of our backyard honey to a friend for a few pounds of her backyard figs a few years ago and made Fig Newtons. The dough is very finicky and was difficult for me to work with. DH said they tasted great but they weren't very pretty

Last night was the Third Wednesday Sushi Night at a local seafood restaurant. We shared a tempura shrimp roll and then each had an order of their tempura shrimp tacos. Love the shrimp!
Attachment 33131Attachment 33132
Looks good, GG.

I don't know what recipe my friend Dianne uses for her homemade Fig Newtons - or maybe just that she's made them for so many years and has had a lot of practice - but they look a lot like the store bought. Rounded little edges and all.

She's kind of the opposite of me....she's not real fond of cooking, but loves to bake.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Looks good, GG.

I don't know what recipe my friend Dianne uses for her homemade Fig Newtons - or maybe just that she's made them for so many years and has had a lot of practice - but they look a lot like the store bought. Rounded little edges and all.

She's kind of the opposite of me....she's not real fond of cooking, but loves to bake.
I'm sure it's the years of practice. I used this recipe from the pastry chef at Serious Eats and she knows her stuff. Since I've been making homemade bread for the last several years, I've learned how the dough is supposed to behave and feel. I don't have that skill with the Fig Newton dough.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ns-recipe.html
Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #38
Master Chef

Wow, those look delicious.

Yeah, I can see where the dough would be a challenge with these cookies, being so 'cakey'.

Tags
antipasto, chicken, chili, cook, cornbread, french toast, pasta, sashimi, sushi