"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,633
I'll be smoking 2 racks of spareribs later on today.
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Well, surprisingly, when I tasted the soup, it said cream me. I did and you'll imagine my surprise when it looked just like your recipe! It is just a smidgeon darker, but a snapshot would look just like your picture.

So.. it is still Confetti Soup. Obviously it lends itself to different varieties like pork in addition to turkey or chicken but if it looks like Confetti Soup....

PS: Yum on the flank steak prep. (*getting drool rag ready*)
ROTFL!! So how do you like it with the cream?

You should spread some of that garlic butter on bread and toast under the broiler than use it to dip in the scallops sauce.
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
ROTFL!! So how do you like it with the cream?

You should spread some of that garlic butter on bread and toast under the broiler than use it to dip in the scallops sauce.
It's perfect.

Good point about the garlic bread. I just might have dinner early..

I wish you had been here when I added the cream of soup to the original mix. It was like magic, the soup immediately looked exactly the way you pictured it.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
It's perfect.

Good point about the garlic bread. I just might have dinner early..

I wish you had been here when I added the cream of soup to the original mix. It was like magic, the soup immediately looked exactly the way you pictured it.
I'm so glad you liked it. It may be good if you post your review in the original soup recipe thread also.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,476
WOW!! I just got light headed and the shakes. I tested my sugar and it dropped down to 70 and I am usually between 90 & 120. I had a snack of some Fritos and the shakes are gone. Scared the jeepers outta me and I got the shakes, light head & run on jabber mouth. All are signs for me that I am either high or low.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I'm so glad you liked it. It may be good if you post your review in the original soup recipe thread also.
I plan to. I took notes of the changes and will point up the "using what's on hand" part. You know, those fantastic dishes that can never be duplicated.

I definitely like the way the soup looks. The picture is what inspired me. By starting with your basics, this soup is bound to be good. The substitutions are easy.

I'll even bet it would be great with just white rice.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I plan to. I took notes of the changes and will point up the "using what's on hand" part. You know, those fantastic dishes that can never be duplicated.

I definitely like the way the soup looks. The picture is what inspired me. By starting with your basics, this soup is bound to be good. The substitutions are easy.

I'll even bet it would be great with just white rice.
I now have scrape paper, pencil w/eraser and a small scale in the spot on the table where I do my prep work. I weigh and jot down ingredients as I go now. I am compiling my recipes and pics for my girls. After I post dinner (if you notice I often post in depth details of my dishes with the pics) I highlight the whole thing with the pic, right click and hit "Send to OneNote" which sends to selected to my OneNote software. It's great because it not only creates a new page with the selected info but also inserts a link to track back to original location. This also works when I copy something from a word doc or excel sheet etc so I can locate the original location. I love this software. How many time have you been online and bookmarked something then can't remember what the name was so you can't find it in the zillion bookmarks you have or copy a bit of something and want to check confirm something but can't find it again? Well that happened to me so often. Now I just hightight a bit and send it, give it a title I can find easy and I can go back to read/check/reference the rest whenever I want. OneNote even has a search feature that will search all the "notebooks/sections" and put them in a list. Really cool.

So I can look at the pic and the details to recreate a dish easily later.


WOW that turned into a speech sorry about that.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I now have scrape paper, pencil w/eraser and a small scale in the spot on the table where I do my prep work. I weigh and jot down ingredients as I go now. I am compiling my recipes and pics for my girls. After I post dinner (if you notice I often post in depth details of my dishes with the pics) I highlight the whole thing with the pic, right click and hit "Send to OneNote" which sends to selected to my OneNote software. It's great because it not only creates a new page with the selected info but also inserts a link to track back to original location. This also works when I copy something from a word doc or excel sheet etc so I can locate the original location. I love this software. How many time have you been online and bookmarked something then can't remember what the name was so you can't find it in the zillion bookmarks you have or copy a bit of something and want to check confirm something but can't find it again? Well that happened to me so often. Now I just hightight a bit and send it, give it a title I can find easy and I can go back to read/check/reference the rest whenever I want. OneNote even has a search feature that will search all the "notebooks/sections" and put them in a list. Really cool.

So I can look at the pic and the details to recreate a dish easily later.


WOW that turned into a speech sorry about that.
Don't be sorry. I was going to start a thread to see what others were doing with their scattered recipes.

I like my newest method of copying/pasting & printing a recipe I'm pretty sure I will try.

By printing it out, like I did with Confetti Soup, I have plenty of room to make notes of how I made each batch and how they turned out. It's starting to work. I have a 1/2" notebook with my Avatar in full size on the front. I have several recipes with notes that I'll be making again and again.

Another thread idea is to start a clean up of clipped recipes. They need to be read once in a while, and maybe someday used. I was thinking something like posting a basic recipe and see what others think would make them special.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Don't be sorry. I was going to start a thread to see what others were doing with their scattered recipes.

I like my newest method of copying/pasting & printing a recipe I'm pretty sure I will try.

By printing it out, like I did with Confetti Soup, I have plenty of room to make notes of how I made each batch and how they turned out. It's starting to work. I have a 1/2" notebook with my Avatar in full size on the front. I have several recipes with notes that I'll be making again and again.

Another thread idea is to start a clean up of clipped recipes. They need to be read once in a while, and maybe someday used. I was thinking something like posting a basic recipe and see what others think would make them special.
Oh the other good thing about OneNote is when I print out the cookbook for my girls the OneNote puts the name of the section (IE Beef or Soup whatever I name the seciont it is in), and the page number (which is the number order in that section) as a footer on the printed page. So I will also create an index of the recipes for my girls. I already printed out the divider/sections on card stock/weight colored paper and slipped each one into a plastic sheath to protect them from dirt.
__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I bought my first flank steak a week ago or so. I finally found a store semi-nearby that carries them. It will be my first ever flank steak. Half of it is in the freezer and the other half is marinating with some veggies. Everything will be hitting the grill tonight and getting wrapped in a tortilla... or three.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.