"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Good afternoon everyone

No cooking for me today ... we're meeting friends at a local Italian restaurant for dinner.

msmofet - wanted to thank you for the link to the confetti soup ... it looks delicious ... I think it will be on our menu for next week. I have yet to meet a soup I don't like ... lol

Old 01-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Gonna make up a Shepherds Pie. Personally, its not my fave, but my wife and daughter love it, so it is easy enough to throw together.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechef View Post
Good afternoon everyone

No cooking for me today ... we're meeting friends at a local Italian restaurant for dinner.

msmofet - wanted to thank you for the link to the confetti soup ... it looks delicious ... I think it will be on our menu for next week. I have yet to meet a soup I don't like ... lol
You're welcome. I hope you like it!! Post a review in that thread after you make it.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #24
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Have a pot of beans on the stove with the hambone from earlier this week. Maybe some cornbread with it.
jabbur, what's your bean recipe? I have a ham bone i need to use up and wanted something other than split-pea soup again.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I make a similar soup whenever I roast a turkey (with wildrice stuffing). I don't add the pimento, I use the leftover gravy in the soup, toss in some dried cranberries, and mushrooms, leftover stuffing, mashed potatoes, and use evap. milk. It is very tasty. But then, wildrice makes everything tasty <g>. It's liquid turkey dinner <g>.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We're having a Danish dish called "Pied pot". One frying pan and then everything into one pot. Ground beef, garlic, onions, paprika, allspice, cayenne, canned tomatoes, stock, brown rice (that's our variation, the original recipe is for white rice), frozen corn and peas thrown in near the end. Colourful and yummy.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I was in the city all day running errands (a 3-hour round trip drive). I fought traffic and sloppy winter driving conditions, I'm too tired to cook. Good thing DH is at the other house tonight, so I'm bach'ing it--chili topped with a poached egg and grated cheddar cheese. Tomorrow's menu, however, is roast beef with gjetost and lingonberry gravy, greek oven-fried potatoes (I'll post my Greek friend's recipe if anyone is interested--haven't checked to see if this recipe / similar recipe is already in the recipe section--I'll do that before duplicating a recipe), and veggies--probably 4 or 5 since potatoes aren't a veggie according to my DH and he insists no meal is complete without 4-5 veggies.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
A Few Oyster Shooters, and a Few Fried Oysters for Starters....
Catfish...
Hush puppies........
FF Potatoes.....
Slaw.....

Geaux LSU Tigers!!!!! Cotton Bowl Champions!!!

And as usual, your meal sounds delectable.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Don't be sorry. I was going to start a thread to see what others were doing with their scattered recipes.

I like my newest method of copying/pasting & printing a recipe I'm pretty sure I will try.

By printing it out, like I did with Confetti Soup, I have plenty of room to make notes of how I made each batch and how they turned out. It's starting to work. I have a 1/2" notebook with my Avatar in full size on the front. I have several recipes with notes that I'll be making again and again.

Another thread idea is to start a clean up of clipped recipes. They need to be read once in a while, and maybe someday used. I was thinking something like posting a basic recipe and see what others think would make them special.
I scan mine, store them on my HD and copy them on a separate memory stick. This way, I can get rid of all the little scraps of paper (I have my mom's and my grandma's, so scanning made sense). I park my laptop on the kitchen table, load the recipe and go from there. Works for me. I have separate folders for categories and also separate folders for LCBO's food and drink issues. I was able to donate these to a local thrift store and got the 10 years' worth of issues out of my life <g>. Hopefully, my computer doesn't die and my memory stick doesn't fail <g>. Oh, and I send the family ones to my brother, so he has a copy of them as well...
Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
As of this morning the dinner plans are for kielbases links wrapped in crescent rolls (Polish pigs in a blanket), baked beets, and pierogie.
Yum--pierogies. How do you make your pierogie dough? How do you do your filling?

Mine is 1 part sour cream to 1.5 parts flour. My filling is mashed potatoes (10#), grated cheddar cheese, sauteed onions, and bacon (I spread it out between pieces of paper towel and roll it with the rolling pin to break it up once it's fried). I usually make the filling the day before. I'm looking for a "drop-dead delicious" pierogie filling recipe using sauerkraut...haven't like the recipes for the same I've found on the Internet.

K.

Tags
cooking