"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
jabbur, what's your bean recipe? I have a ham bone i need to use up and wanted something other than split-pea soup again.
Lima beans, 15 bean, are two of my favorites. Home made lima beans, large, regular or baby cook up in 2-3 hours. Lovely flavor, nothing like canned or frozen.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

This is my friend Kat's oven-fried potatoes recipe. She is from Larissa, Greece and grew up in a family that had an olive orchard (best olive oil I've ever experienced). I'm going to try it with some of my Russian Blue potatoes instead of the Yukon Golds.

6-8 med. potatoes, peeled and cut in half
1 c water (more or less)
1/2 c virgin olive oil
2-3 T fresh greek oregano
sea salt
pepper

1. Place the potatoes cut side down in a pyrex baking dish (single layer).
2. Pour the water and olive oil over them (liquid should be 2/3 of the depth of the pan)
3. Sprinkle generously with chopped greek oregano, sea salt, and pepper.
4. Bake at 350 for 1-1/2 hours until tender when pierced with a fork. (You may need to add more water--check periodically)

Very nice side to roast, etc. And, they can go in when the roast cooking--not when you put in the roast, but adjusting the timing accordingly--adjust the time if you roast your roast at 325.

K.

BTW, my favorite color is purple, so I like purple foods. I think I'll scrub the potatoes and leave the skins on...

The Russian (aka Siberian) blue potatoes have deep purple skins and a marbled purple and white interior. We planted these for the first time last year. Although the yield was not as good re: # of tubers/plant as Yukon Golds or Kennebecs, they have a nice texture and make a nice addition to a potato salad and are a nice potato to toss in the deep fryer for french fries. Hope they are nice in this recipe as well...or maybe I'll mix it up and include some Kennebecs/Yukon Golds and these...hmmm...

Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #33
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm about to start making burritos. I wish I hadn't used up the last of the sour cream the other night! I wish I had some of my salsa too--James's is too mild and sweet for me. Oh well, they will still be good! It will be my last meal with meat and cheese until Monday the 31st, so I wanted something that I really like. I would have preferred tostadas, but we didn't get to the store today, but I love burritos just about as much.

Barbara
Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #34
Senior Cook

chicken sausages and mashed potatoes. The potatoes baked in the oven for 10 minutes or so to give them a nice crust.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Chicken fried steak w/ mashed potatoes and gravy, alfresco bean salad and banana cake for dessert.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #36
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBrit View Post
chicken sausages and mashed potatoes. The potatoes baked in the oven for 10 minutes or so to give them a nice crust.
When I make sour cream and chive mashed potatoes (I just mash them with sour cream instead of milk and add chives) I always bake it for 10-15 minutes. I love the crust it gives them, and they stay hot a lot longer.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #37
Master Chef

Dave, I just soak the beans (great northern) overnight then drain and add chicken broth to cover the beans and hambone. Stir in some onion and minced garlic. Cook forever. I like it when the beans are mushy and the broth had thickened. I usually add any leftover ham as well. We like it meaty. You can add salt and pepper but I don't until serving. DH doesn't need the extra salt. What's in the ham is usually enough. DH doesn't like pepper so I just sprinkle it on mine when I serve it up.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
WOW!! I just got light headed and the shakes. I tested my sugar and it dropped down to 70 and I am usually between 90 & 120. I had a snack of some Fritos and the shakes are gone. Scared the jeepers outta me and I got the shakes, light head & run on jabber mouth. All are signs for me that I am either high or low.
You need to be carefull about that.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I am going to be slicing flank steak thin on the bias then marinate in oil (probably a combo of EVOO & grapeseed or flaxseed Oil), fresh grated garlic & ginger, soy sauce, hot chili oil & ground peppercorns, then use it to make the beef and broccoli stir fry. Plain or fried rice on the side.
That sounds good!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I bought my first flank steak a week ago or so. I finally found a store semi-nearby that carries them. It will be my first ever flank steak. Half of it is in the freezer and the other half is marinating with some veggies. Everything will be hitting the grill tonight and getting wrapped in a tortilla... or three.
I love flank steak. Just don't over cook it or it get tough. I have been looking for it here but can't find it.

Tags
cooking