1/8/11 Saturday What's Cooking Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave, I just soak the beans (great northern) overnight then drain and add chicken broth to cover the beans and hambone. Stir in some onion and minced garlic. Cook forever. I like it when the beans are mushy and the broth had thickened. I usually add any leftover ham as well. We like it meaty. You can add salt and pepper but I don't until serving. DH doesn't need the extra salt. What's in the ham is usually enough. DH doesn't like pepper so I just sprinkle it on mine when I serve it up.

This reminded me that a friend of mine told me that Michael (Chef at Home) puts dried legumes in canning jars of water and stores them in the fridge to reduce soaking and cooking time. I don't have the details re: how to do that...anyone? I always get the craving for chili and don't have any beans soaked...

I love flank steak. Just don't over cook it or it get tough. I have been looking for it here but can't find it.
Sometimes it is just called something different depending on where you live. It is also called London Broil or Jiffy Steak. I've never heard it called Jiffy Steak, but I just read that.

:)Barbara

Sometimes it is just called something different depending on where you live. It is also called London Broil or Jiffy Steak. I've never heard it called Jiffy Steak, but I just read that.

:)Barbara

Barb here it is called entrana. But most of it goes to Santiago where it brings a beter price.

I think it came out good. It was certainly tasty, but I think I would have preferred it on my plate naked rather than in a fajita. Usually I just reseason and warm leftover steak for fajitas. Of course I had to taste test it while slicing, and then again before putting the leftover slices in the fridge :rolleyes:
Along with the grilled veggies.

Attachments

• flank steak2.jpg
    flank steak2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 152
  • grilled fajita veggies.jpg
    grilled fajita veggies.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 194
I think it came out good. It was certainly tasty, but I think I would have preferred it on my plate naked rather than in a fajita. Usually I just reseason and warm leftover steak for fajitas. Of course I had to taste test it while slicing, and then again before putting the leftover slices in the fridge :rolleyes:
Along with the grilled veggies.

Well it looks really good!!!

if and when i get hungry, will have leftovers. i am depressed, always around this time of year. fifteen anniversary of husband's death coming up on the 13. you all know the story. each year it blind sides me. i get really depressed and have flashbacks and intrusive thoughts despite the meds. oh well, this to shall pass.

if and when i get hungry, will have leftovers. i am depressed, always around this time of year. fifteen anniversary of husband's death coming up on the 13. you all know the story. each year it blind sides me. i get really depressed and have flashbacks and intrusive thoughts despite the meds. oh well, this to shall pass.

All that I can offer is hugs, but sometimes that is stronger than meds. I really do hpe it helps.

That sounds good!
Thank you for the concern. I got the shakes again while cooking and drank some grapefruit juice.

Homemade fried rice (jasmine rice, carrots, onions, soy sauce - fried in peanut oil, pre-cooked scrambled egg added and then garnished with sliced green onions & sesame seeds).

img_957328_0_e9a72e9ee1da5311042f90561f20b2bc.jpg

Beef and Broccoli stir fry (flank steak sliced thin, grated fresh garlic & fresh ginger, onion, broccoli sautéed in a combo of peanut, chili & grapeseed oils, oyster sauce, soy sauce, ground peppercorns, beef bouillon (only because I didn’t have beef broth/stock), water & cornstarch) and homemade fried rice.

img_957328_1_7dd86331d3ecde770c04695aa95741d0.jpg

Hugs, Babe! We are here to listen if you want!

We had shrimp and lobster ravioli in garlic butter sauce over chopped spinach. Chocolate cake for dessert.

(((hugs)))

if and when i get hungry, will have leftovers. I am depressed, always around this time of year. Fifteen anniversary of husband's death coming up on the 13. You all know the story. Each year it blind sides me. I get really depressed and have flashbacks and intrusive thoughts despite the meds. Oh well, this to shall pass.
xoxoxoxox

Back
Top Bottom