1/8/11 Saturday What's Cooking Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I left that gorgeous confetti soup in the fridge overnight. I'm having some for breakfast. I'll have a taster cup and decide if it wants to be played with.

What are you cooking today?

As of this morning the dinner plans are for kielbases links wrapped in crescent rolls (Polish pigs in a blanket), baked beets, and pierogie.

A Few Oyster Shooters, and a Few Fried Oysters for Starters....
Catfish...
Hush puppies........
FF Potatoes.....
Slaw.....

Geaux LSU Tigers!!!!! Cotton Bowl Champions!!!

A Few Oyster Shooters, and a Few Fried Oysters for Starters....
Catfish...
Hush puppies........
FF Potatoes.....
Slaw.....

Geaux LSU Tigers!!!!! Cotton Bowl Champions!!!

Awww UB can I come over? Save some of those oysters for me and I'll bring some mudbugs!

I left that gorgeous confetti soup in the fridge overnight. I'm having some for breakfast. I'll have a taster cup and decide if it wants to be played with.

What are you cooking today?
It really isn't confetti soup any more. You should make it yours by giving your wonderful creation a name of it's own.

I am going to be slicing flank steak thin on the bias then marinate in oil (probably a combo of EVOO & grapeseed or flaxseed Oil), fresh grated garlic & ginger, soy sauce, hot chili oil & ground peppercorns, then use it to make the beef and broccoli stir fry. Plain or fried rice on the side.

It really isn't confetti soup any more. You should make it yours by giving your wonderful creation a name of it's own.

I am going to be slicing flank steak thin on the bias then marinate in oil (probably a combo of EVOO & grapeseed or flaxseed Oil), fresh grated garlic & ginger, soy sauce, hot chili oil & ground peppercorns, then use it to make the beef and broccoli stir fry. Plain or fried rice on the side.

Well, surprisingly, when I tasted the soup, it said cream me. I did and you'll imagine my surprise when it looked just like your recipe! It is just a smidgeon darker, but a snapshot would look just like your picture.

So.. it is still Confetti Soup. Obviously it lends itself to different varieties like pork in addition to turkey or chicken but if it looks like Confetti Soup....

PS: Yum on the flank steak prep. (*getting drool rag ready*)

Last edited:
Well, obviously Confetti soup is on for lunch, but I'm thinking tonight about more of those nice scallops. The butter garlic poached scallops were so good, and I still have butter garlic left over....

Well, surprisingly, when I tasted the soup, it said cream me. I did and you'll imagine my surprise when it looked just like your recipe! It is just a smidgeon darker, but a snapshot would look just like your picture.

So.. it is still Confetti Soup. Obviously it lends itself to different varieties like pork in addition to turkey or chicken but if it looks like Confetti Soup....

PS: Yum on the flank steak prep. (*getting drool rag ready*)
ROTFL!! So how do you like it with the cream?

You should spread some of that garlic butter on bread and toast under the broiler than use it to dip in the scallops sauce.

ROTFL!! So how do you like it with the cream?

You should spread some of that garlic butter on bread and toast under the broiler than use it to dip in the scallops sauce.

It's perfect.

Good point about the garlic bread. I just might have dinner early..

I wish you had been here when I added the cream of soup to the original mix. It was like magic, the soup immediately looked exactly the way you pictured it.

It's perfect.

Good point about the garlic bread. I just might have dinner early..

I wish you had been here when I added the cream of soup to the original mix. It was like magic, the soup immediately looked exactly the way you pictured it.
I'm so glad you liked it. It may be good if you post your review in the original soup recipe thread also.

WOW!! I just got light headed and the shakes. I tested my sugar and it dropped down to 70 and I am usually between 90 & 120. I had a snack of some Fritos and the shakes are gone. Scared the jeepers outta me and I got the shakes, light head & run on jabber mouth. All are signs for me that I am either high or low.

I'm so glad you liked it. It may be good if you post your review in the original soup recipe thread also.

I plan to. I took notes of the changes and will point up the "using what's on hand" part. You know, those fantastic dishes that can never be duplicated.

I definitely like the way the soup looks. The picture is what inspired me. By starting with your basics, this soup is bound to be good. The substitutions are easy.

I'll even bet it would be great with just white rice.

I plan to. I took notes of the changes and will point up the "using what's on hand" part. You know, those fantastic dishes that can never be duplicated.

I definitely like the way the soup looks. The picture is what inspired me. By starting with your basics, this soup is bound to be good. The substitutions are easy.

I'll even bet it would be great with just white rice.
I now have scrape paper, pencil w/eraser and a small scale in the spot on the table where I do my prep work. I weigh and jot down ingredients as I go now. I am compiling my recipes and pics for my girls. After I post dinner (if you notice I often post in depth details of my dishes with the pics) I highlight the whole thing with the pic, right click and hit "Send to OneNote" which sends to selected to my OneNote software. It's great because it not only creates a new page with the selected info but also inserts a link to track back to original location. This also works when I copy something from a word doc or excel sheet etc so I can locate the original location. I love this software. How many time have you been online and bookmarked something then can't remember what the name was so you can't find it in the zillion bookmarks you have or copy a bit of something and want to check confirm something but can't find it again? Well that happened to me so often. Now I just hightight a bit and send it, give it a title I can find easy and I can go back to read/check/reference the rest whenever I want. OneNote even has a search feature that will search all the "notebooks/sections" and put them in a list. Really cool.

So I can look at the pic and the details to recreate a dish easily later.

WOW that turned into a speech sorry about that.

I now have scrape paper, pencil w/eraser and a small scale in the spot on the table where I do my prep work. I weigh and jot down ingredients as I go now. I am compiling my recipes and pics for my girls. After I post dinner (if you notice I often post in depth details of my dishes with the pics) I highlight the whole thing with the pic, right click and hit "Send to OneNote" which sends to selected to my OneNote software. It's great because it not only creates a new page with the selected info but also inserts a link to track back to original location. This also works when I copy something from a word doc or excel sheet etc so I can locate the original location. I love this software. How many time have you been online and bookmarked something then can't remember what the name was so you can't find it in the zillion bookmarks you have or copy a bit of something and want to check confirm something but can't find it again? Well that happened to me so often. Now I just hightight a bit and send it, give it a title I can find easy and I can go back to read/check/reference the rest whenever I want. OneNote even has a search feature that will search all the "notebooks/sections" and put them in a list. Really cool.

So I can look at the pic and the details to recreate a dish easily later.

WOW that turned into a speech sorry about that.

Don't be sorry. I was going to start a thread to see what others were doing with their scattered recipes.

I like my newest method of copying/pasting & printing a recipe I'm pretty sure I will try.

By printing it out, like I did with Confetti Soup, I have plenty of room to make notes of how I made each batch and how they turned out. It's starting to work. I have a 1/2" notebook with my Avatar in full size on the front. I have several recipes with notes that I'll be making again and again.

Another thread idea is to start a clean up of clipped recipes. They need to be read once in a while, and maybe someday used. I was thinking something like posting a basic recipe and see what others think would make them special.

Don't be sorry. I was going to start a thread to see what others were doing with their scattered recipes.

I like my newest method of copying/pasting & printing a recipe I'm pretty sure I will try.

By printing it out, like I did with Confetti Soup, I have plenty of room to make notes of how I made each batch and how they turned out. It's starting to work. I have a 1/2" notebook with my Avatar in full size on the front. I have several recipes with notes that I'll be making again and again.

Another thread idea is to start a clean up of clipped recipes. They need to be read once in a while, and maybe someday used. I was thinking something like posting a basic recipe and see what others think would make them special.
Oh the other good thing about OneNote is when I print out the cookbook for my girls the OneNote puts the name of the section (IE Beef or Soup whatever I name the seciont it is in), and the page number (which is the number order in that section) as a footer on the printed page. So I will also create an index of the recipes for my girls. I already printed out the divider/sections on card stock/weight colored paper and slipped each one into a plastic sheath to protect them from dirt.

I bought my first flank steak a week ago or so. I finally found a store semi-nearby that carries them. It will be my first ever flank steak. Half of it is in the freezer and the other half is marinating with some veggies. Everything will be hitting the grill tonight and getting wrapped in a tortilla... or three.

Back
Top Bottom