10/11/13 - What Are You Cooking Tonight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, Alix :)

Whiska, I think the difference between breaded pork chops and schnitzel is; schnitzel never has a bone, is pounded/tenderized, and most importantly you need oom pah pah music playing in the background.

Mini pizzas made with Greek style pita bread (not that dry stuff often sold as pita bread). Olive oil, a bit of tomato paste (not sauce) crumbled blue cheese, garlic, sauteed red onion slices.

It just takes a few minutes to assemble and to bake.

I virtually never cook on a Friday - so it was Chicken Chow Mein for me. :)

Pac, that Cornish Hen with the mushrooms sounds fab! (But pizza works too!) :LOL:

I virtually never cook on a Friday - so it was Chicken Chow Mein for me. :)

Pac, that Cornish Hen with the mushrooms sounds fab! (But pizza works too!) :LOL:

It'll be the hen. I'm too lazy to go out and pick up a pizza. I'm whooped.

I'm whooped too. I did an enormous grocery shop, unloaded, did some laundry, realized I'd forgotten some important stuff and went back out to do more grocery shopping. *sigh*

So...made a giant pot of clam chowder to have with a loaf of crusty french bread. I have a butter lettuce that might end up being mimosa salad to go with.

Sorry pac, I don't think I'm up to travelling tonight. I'll enjoy the hen vicariously.

Change of plans. We'll have the schnitzel Sunday. We were going to grill some brats and knackwurst earlier in the week, but it rained and then we didn't have the energy. So, Stirling will do that tonight as well as the organic chicken sausage I bought today. I'll make some cole slaw and do something with some 'taters and/or some wholewheat baguettines (small baguettes) I picked up today. Stirling forgot that he was going to go out to eat with a friend, so the friend is joining us.

Alright! Fire up that grill, Taxy :chef:

NE or Manhattan, Alix? If it's NE save me a quart... or a liter is close enough ;)

If it comes out I might snap a pic or two, Katy. :D
I just finished cutting up the little hen. I must say, it came frozen and was thawed (in the fridge) with a little ice still and it still smelled a little off... I hope it didn't come from that place in California with the salmonella thing going on :ermm:

So...made a giant pot of clam chowder to have with a loaf of crusty french bread. I have a butter lettuce that might end up being mimosa salad to go with.

For years I have been pondering Clam Chowder. My problem is, I have never eaten a clam! I have this worry that I wouldn't like the texture and that would defeat the purpose of making a Clam Chowder!

Can you make a reasonably authentic Chowder without using clams? Say, with prawns? (Not lobster though - far too expensive here!)

I'd say sure. I prefer New England style, which is pretty much a cream of potato soup with clams. I'm sure shrimp/prawns would work well, too.
But if you like shrimp you'd probably like clams, after all they are typically chopped so it's not like having a whole clam in your mouth... not that there's anything wrong with that. They have a little "bite", sort of like a kidney (if you've eaten beef and kidney stew).

For years I have been pondering Clam Chowder. My problem is, I have never eaten a clam! I have this worry that I wouldn't like the texture and that would defeat the purpose of making a Clam Chowder!

Can you make a reasonably authentic Chowder without using clams? Say, with prawns? (Not lobster though - far too expensive here!)

Katy, try a little can of minced clams, they're really cheap. Make a dip mixing them and their juice with cream cheese and sour cream with a bit of hot sauce and worchestershire, and see if you like them. I'll bet you will, not the least bit fishy, with a really nice chew. Then try a clam chowder!

I'd say sure. I prefer New England style, which is pretty much a cream of potato soup with clams. I'm sure shrimp/prawns would work well, too.
But if you like shrimp you'd probably like clams, after all they are typically chopped so it's not like having a whole clam in your mouth... not that there's anything wrong with that. They have a little "bite", sort of like a kidney (if you've eaten beef and kidney stew).

The clams are chopped? Now that puts a whole new complexion on things! (I like kidney so maybe I should give this a go!) It always looks so nice when they do it on TV.

Katy, try a little can of minced clams, they're really cheap. Make a dip mixing them and their juice with cream cheese and sour cream with a bit of hot sauce and worchestershire, and see if you like them. I'll bet you will, not the least bit fishy, with a really nice chew. Then try a clam chowder!

I think I can get tinned clams here (not sure if they are whole or minced) - I'll have a look out for them on my next visit to Sainsburys. :)

The clams are chopped? Now that puts a whole new complexion on things! (I like kidney so maybe I should give this a go!) It always looks so nice when they do it on TV.

Katy - Have you ever been to Germany and had Schneckensuppe? (snail soup) The snails have the same texture as chopped clams....at least to me.

We had a big pot of my spicy chili, a skillet of the best cornbread slathered with butter, iced tea and Caramel Apple Blondie Pie drizzled with Apple Cider Caramel Sauce. Omigosh! Are we ever full.

Glenn loves this cornbread and said he could make a meal, even dessert, with just it. I have to agree. It's superb. And couldn't be better because it was baked in an iron skillet.

The chili turned out extra good and the cornbread was awesome as usual (because of the recipe) and the pie, well, it was so yummy. A photo of the pie graced the front cover of the September 2013 issue of Southern Living magazine and I HAD to make it. I'm sooooooo glad I did. The sauce that it was topped with is a keeper, too.

Katy, I have tried to eat clams in all kinds of different ways. Just never warmed up to them, but....

I really like New England clam chowder. Don't much care for Manhattan.

However, after saying this, I have made clam chowder many times using canned clams and am told I make a really good clam chowder.

So, there you have it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom