11/19/10 Friday what's cooking today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm morphing my chicken soup today into baby limas, just to have the lovely smell wafting around all day. Baby limas are nice in that they don't need to be soaked. They do cook up fast, however, so I'll keep the heat on simmer to drag it out.

I have leftover pork slices in gravy and mashed potatoes. I'll either have it for lunch or dinner.

I found a package of small zucchini's while shopping yesterday. I wasn't going to get more squash this time, but they seemed firm, were small just like I like them and there were about 5 in the pack plus, it was only 60 cents.

I'll cook them partway in some garlic butter with sliced onion, and freeze in a bag or 2 to get a head start when I do want squash. I kind of had to get it too because the price of zucchini and yellow squash has been almost $2 a pound here so I'm making up my losses.:LOL:

I have a selection of soups to choose from...may try some cottage cheese today. Crackers in soup was a bust last night.

I may actually lose some weight, but I still want that steak! Have to learn to chew first...not as easy as it sounds.

I made a venison meatza and I have a butternut squash casserole in the oven. Got caramel sauce cooking on the stove as I am experimenting to decide what I want to give as gifts this year.

When James found out I was having chicken thighs in BBQ sauce the other day he said he would like to have that soon, so I am making that tonight. We will have baked potatoes and mashed pumpkin with a little butter.

:)Barbara

sushi and calamari and more sushi and poached fish and coconut shrimp and zucchini shrimp and more sushi and egg rolls and hot sour soup and more sushi and lo mein and bbq ribs and more sushi...

it's buffet night yummmmmmmm

It is just Dad and I and it is quite cold and wet outside so I am not sure what to have. Baked Mac and Cheese is actually sounding really good.

friends are here, they are outside target practicing, but I am in the house keeping the stove going and fixing dinner....creamed turkey over toast/buttered bread, cole slaw, mashed sweet potatoes with butter and maple syrup, and later, brownies and ice cream

Trying to get motivated to do something. Anything today. It's cold outside and raining. Chili Dawwwgs sound good. I've a Lb of Hamburger so I'll make my own sauce and home made fries.

Munky.

Wasn't sure what to make when I came here. Some of the dinners sound good. I was thinking breakfast foods but now I'm leaning toward pigs in blankets with chili and cheese.

Wasn't sure what to make when I came here. Some of the dinners sound good. I was thinking breakfast foods but now I'm leaning toward pigs in blankets with chili and cheese.

I like the way you're leaning. Sounds good.

I've been anxious to make mac & cheese with all the good cheeses I've got right now, but other things keep getting in the way.

I started the chicken soup morphing into lima bean soup this morning, to warm the place up and keep it smelling good. I put 1 cup of baby limas in the soup, along with a teaspoon of Liquid Smoke and let it simmer. Meanwhile while looking in the freezer I saw the smoked pork neck bones I bought yesterday so I added 2 pieces of that.

When the soup started getting low on liquid, I added 2 cups of water plus a Ramen spice packet to keep the salt right, added another cup of water to compensate for evaporation and too saltiness. I took the smoked neck bones out, let them cool and got the meat off and back into the soup.

It tastes WOW. Another good one that will be hard to duplicate, just using what's on hand.:chef:

Deconstructed Sheppard's Pie: Ground beef browned with onions, dry brown gravy mixed well with beef mixture, water and red wine added and cooked till thickened. Frozen mixed veggies added and simmered for 5 minutes. Deconstructed Sheppard's pie served in a cheddar cheese mashed potato cup (potatoes mashed with sour cream, butter, chives & shredded cheddar cheese).
Browned ground beef & onions

img_939743_0_c7aca90e8d597eb4ecfed660a72ffd31.jpg

Browned ground beef, onions, veggies & gravy

img_939743_1_34f0daf69610caefdd5558e0cfab2f87.jpg

Cheddar cheese mashed potato cup

img_939743_2_451256343bee048f1669c4de7ba29211.jpg

Deconstructed Sheppard's pie served

img_939743_3_ac715e7121e13315596a5202823f6ec3.jpg

I'll bet it tastes as good as it looks.

Thanks for the idea of the gravy mix. The one I use sometimes is a generic brand, but is very tasty. I'll have to try it your way, over egg noodles or cheddar mashed potatoes like yours.

I ended up with mashed potatoes, gravy and minced corned beef, no teeth, I haven't masterd chewing anything but the inside of my mouth, yet! Tried gum earlier...fail!!!

Deconstructed Sheppard's Pie: Ground beef browned with onions, dry brown gravy mixed well with beef mixture, water and red wine added and cooked till thickened. Frozen mixed veggies added and simmered for 5 minutes. Deconstructed Sheppard's pie served in a cheddar cheese mashed potato cup (potatoes mashed with sour cream, butter, chives & shredded cheddar cheese).

Oh!! Want!!! Looks yummy!:)

Back
Top Bottom