11/20/10 SATURDAY What's Cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Wow, I get to start again. I'm working on a new living room arrangement so dinner isn't really a priority yet.

So far, I know I'll be having more of the Lima Bean Soup I made yesterday YUM YUM.

I still have to cook up the zucchini today. I'll either cook it half way and freeze for later, or come up with a main dish, like adding stewed tomatoes and chicken. Wish I had some shrimp.

I'll be making Mushrooms Gratin too.

What are you cooking today?

Love your title Z ;):flowers:

Well, the deli heat and serve meatloaf and gravy I picked up yesterday (DH took me on a quick shopping trip to pick up "snow day" supplies. Dad and I were both surprised how good it was. So, I am going to turn it into warm meatloaf sammies for lunch.

One of my other purchases was some beautiful looking pork schnitzels (another thing I make myself but DH insisted I get some quick and easy foods). I am not sure exactly how I'll do them, but one thing for sure is it won't be with applesauce. I have to give Dad his pills in it 5 times a day and even though I mix up the flavours we are both getting a little tired of it ;)

...but one thing for sure is it won't be with applesauce. I have to give Dad his pills in it 5 times a day and even though I mix up the flavours we are both getting a little tired of it ;)

SO won't eat pork without a little bit of applesauce. Roasts, stuffed chops, chops in gravy all require applesauce.

Beef Stew with stout, horseradish dumplings served on yorkshire puddings.
Baked Rice pudding with a blob of Crab apple and chili jelly.

SO won't eat pork without a little bit of applesauce. Roasts, stuffed chops, chops in gravy all require applesauce.

Yeah, the standard in both my family and DH's is applesauce with all types of pork other than ham and then it is pineapple!

Maybe I can mix his right-after-dinner pills up and instead of serving them in a little glass dish I'll put them on the plate as part of his dinner ;)

Thanks, LPB It works better. In date order, clarifying day of week, and open to more than just dinner. We make a good team.

I'm doing carne asada tonight. I have about 3 lbs of skirt steak marinating and ready for grilling tonight. A friend brought over a couple of bottles of Trader Joe's Pinot Noir the other day so we'll have some of that too...

I am going to do up some talapia filets, and mac 'n cheese with some smoked gouda.

Thanks for the reminder Z., I thought of this at 4 this morning while I was tending to some business, I need to get the fish out of the freezer!

Smoked provolone, somebody ate the gouda...:)

Last edited:
I am home after 24 hours of travel so I don't plan to cook. So plans on cooking steaks tonight wich sounds good to me!

My daughter is away at a freinds for the evening, and I have a rare Saturday night off from playing, so I'm going to do up a pineapple/coconut pork tenderloin served on some basmati. Probably stir fry some sort of veggie while having the music turned up really loud. Drink copious amounts of beer and be in bed early because I have to be at work for 7 tomorrow..so if I am back on the board with some nonsensical ramblings, blame it on the Pilsner...lol!

Last edited:
I decided to make spaghetti tonight. I found out I don't have the spices I need for spaghetti, so I am going to try something different. James often buys taco kits when they are on sale. I don't like to put the taco seasoning in my taco meat, but I don't want to waste it, so I save it for other things, like spicy hamburger casseroles. I asked James if he is up to trying "Mexican Spaghetti" tonight, so we will see how that goes. We are out of corn, so we will probably have broccoli with it.

:)Barbara

I decided to make spaghetti tonight. I found out I don't have the spices I need for spaghetti, so I am going to try something different. James often buys taco kits when they are on sale. I don't like to put the taco seasoning in my taco meat, but I don't want to waste it, so I save it for other things, like spicy hamburger casseroles. I asked James if he is up to trying "Mexican Spaghetti" tonight, so we will see how that goes. We are out of corn, so we will probably have broccoli with it.

:)Barbara

Sounds pretty good. Let us know how it came out, OK?

cold and rainy here in so. ca. so am heating up comfort food. smoked turkey and dressing, i had in freezer. yellow squash and cranberry sauce. i love having a ready meal in the freezer for when i am lazy.

went to an annual smoked turkey pot luck at a friends place.....had a lot of smoked turkey!, roasted vegetables, cranberry salad, roll, and some moonshine whiskey

Two experiments tonight. The mashed potatoes and carrot, with ham casserole. Kartoffelmos med skinketern med billede Alletiders Kogebog The Google translation is only a little weird: Google Translate The original is in Danish.

It's not exciting, but has a very stick-to-your-ribs, comfort food appeal. It would probably appeal to children. According to one comment, some grandchildren cleaned the casserole with their spoons. I probably won't make it again as is, but will do some variations. Herb and spice recommendations anyone?

I also tried LPBeier's mushroom gratin. That was an absolute success. DH, who does not like mushrooms, liked it too.

We also had red and green coleslaw with oil (evoo) and vinegar (organic apple cider vinegar) dressing. I was too tired and too rushed to make anything else.

Oh yes, and French red wine from a box. :)

Back
Top Bottom