11/29 what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure what to call it. It's sort of a little shepherd's pie/turkey pot pie combination

I'm going to use some leftover turkey (it's been frozen) and gravy to make a pot pie filling and top it with leftover stuffing (in place of mashed potatoes) and bake it until it's hot throughout.

We'll see if it passes the hungry SO test.

I just got a new piece of Parmesan Reggiano so its pasta with oil and garlic. Maybe pull some homemade fennel sausage out of the freezer and a tomato/cucumber salad. But, then again, things always change by the time I get finished in the kitchen....

Last edited:
I'm going to finish off the last of the hamburger vegetable soup from the freezer. Next time I go shopping I'm going to get everything I need and make another 15 quarts--it sure has been handy when I need something hot and fast.

:)Barbara

Oops, forgot to post whats for dinner. I have to admit, I'm feeling a wee bit...icky today. I think perhaps I overindulged on the football food yesterday. So its a toss up...leftovers because I feel too icky to cook, or something fresh and light so I don't feel icky. Hmmm...must see how much energy I have.

Leftover tamale meatloaf fried slices. Then freeze the rest for another time. It came out extra yummy.

Did you ever post a recipe for that Barbara?
Not officially. :cool: I did it like I do my hamburger stew (which I believe is posted under stews), but I added a large bottle of Spicy Hot V-8 and 2 cartons of Swanson beef broth. Vegetables would be whatever you want, but mine was:

3 pounds ground beef, broken up and browned
coarsely chopped onions
garlic
thickly sliced carrots
potatoes (cut in large chunks, peels still on)
thickly sliced celery
coarsely chopped cabbage (Brussels sprouts would be good too)
corn
peas
green beans
mushrooms
couple large cans diced tomatoes
large bottle Spicy Hot V-8
couple cartons of Swanson beef broth
salt and pepper to taste

I didn't really measure anything--I used up the rest of the carrots (probably 8-10) and probably 6-8 good sized potatoes. I just kept adding whatever looked good, until the pot was full. Since it was diluted by the other things, the Spicy Hot V-8 didn't add a lot of spice, but that was ok since James can't handle anything too spicy with his acid reflux.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
Not having turkey leftovers, I'm sad and so decided to treat us to Steamed Mussels in White Wine and Shallots and some crusty French bread. It's a recipe from Top Chef University! :chef: It smells fabulous.

~Kathleen

Speggatini with olio e aglio. Home made Tuscan style sausage I made with some great shoulder I bought on sale, and a mixed salad thingy with Oregano,Chianti venegar and some more of that olio.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 167
Speggatini with olio e aglio. Home made Tuscan style sausage I made with some great shoulder I bought on sale, and a mixed salad thingy with Oregano,Chianti venegar and some more of that olio.
That looks YUMMY!!

Baked Mini Penne with Mushroom Sauce (cooked mini penne tossed with ricotta, mozzarella, fresh grated Romano & Parmesan, fresh parsley. Mushroom sauce - EVOO, chili oil, grapeseed oil, ground red pepper flakes, sea salt, ground peppercorns, ground thyme & rosemary, chopped fresh mushrooms, garlic, onions, chopped fresh oregano, basil & parsley, topped with mozzarella and baked) and salad.

img_943136_0_0e567f8da31c9d6ae06b44f48e8dde8a.jpg

Baked Mini Penne with Mushroom Sauce (cooked mini penne tossed with ricotta, mozzarella, fresh grated Romano & Parmesan, fresh parsley. Mushroom sauce - EVOO, chili oil, grapeseed oil, ground red pepper flakes, sea salt, ground peppercorns, ground thyme & rosemary, chopped fresh mushrooms, garlic, onions, chopped fresh oregano, basil & parsley, topped with mozzarella and baked) and salad.

img_943139_0_0e567f8da31c9d6ae06b44f48e8dde8a.jpg

OK, now I'm hungry again!

We had a Stouffer's night, I spent most of the day doing all the laundry I forgot the other week.

I've had oxtails cooking away on the stove for an hr or two in red wine, canned tomatoes and beef stock. When they are close to tender I'll add some carrots, celery, mushrooms and pearl onions, and serve it over orzo pasta. It sure smells good in this house!!
All inspired by Luckycharm, with notions of my own.

I went to the Mexican market to get some $2.99 oxtails yesterday, and they were out.
However I found some really nice ones at Costco today for $3.99 per lb. The price there has come down! This is gonna be one goooooooood dinner!!
It's been a long time since I've enjoyed them, and it will be a first for my hubby. He's always game for anything I cook. What a pleasure.

PS I'm sorry you're sad Kathleen.....sending you a hug.

Last edited:
I've had oxtails cooking away on the stove for an hr or two in red wine, canned tomatoes and beef stock. When they are close to tender I'll add some carrots, celery, mushrooms and pearl onions, and serve it over orzo pasta. It sure smells good in this house!!
All inspired by Luckycharm, with notions of my own.

I went to the Mexican market to get some $2.99 oxtails yesterday, and they were out.
However I found some really nice ones at Costco today for $3.99 per lb. The price there has come down! This is gonna be one goooooooood dinner!!
It's been a long time since I've enjoyed them, and it will be a first for my hubby. He's always game for anything I cook. What a pleasure.

PS I'm sorry you're sad Kathleen.....sending you a hug.

The only thing I do different for mine is barley, instead of Orzo. Hmmmm...:chef:

i am leaning toward home made pizza. :chef:
frittered the day away. so gonna make one of my calif. roast beef sammies on the george forman. calif. green chilies, deli roast beef and provo. cheese and grilled . some chips i think, and ice cream treat for dessert. oh yeah gonna have a beer with dinner. my ice cream treat is like a creamsicle :cool:

Back
Top Bottom