"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #21
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
It came out great!!! I put the 2 pieces of steak in top of halved-potatoes and quartered onions and then tossed in carrots and celery and drizzeled olive oil over it all and seasoned with salt and pepper and tossed it in the oven at 350 for 70 minutes.
Glad to help!

Actually I wish I had that or stew for tonight. It's just that kind of night. I decided on scalloped potatoes, but I don't really feel like going to all that trouble right now. Plus, I'm pretty hungry already, so I will go more for speed tonight. I'm about to fix hot dogs (no buns), microwaved potato with sour cream, and peas.

Barbara

Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #22
Senior Cook

I had some leftover smoked chicken....so I sauteed some onion and honeycrisp apple and made some paninis with that and some blue Stilton cheese

Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
I had some leftover smoked chicken....so I sauteed some onion and honeycrisp apple and made some paninis with that and some blue Stilton cheese
Wowzers!! That sounds like one outrageously good sandwich Jim!! Taking notes for sure!! What kind of bread?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We had rib steak with seasoned butter, baked potatoes with sour cream, which ran out, so we switched to home made 15% B.F. yoghurt, and red and green cole slaw.

The steak was tough, but tasty, so I am beginning to think that the 1/3 of a cow that my MIL gave us really was a dairy cow. I'm going to try a T-bone and if that is tough, I will stew, braise, or marinate everything that isn't ground. Maybe those packages labelled as part of the tenderloin actually were. With a T-bone, I will be 100% certain that it really is a T-bone.

My hubby will have to be diplomatic when he tells her about this. We are grateful for the gift, but I wouldn't want her to buy from that farmer again. She paid well over $2/pound. I only pay $4.99-5.99/kg for sirloin tip at Costco. That works out to $2.27 to $2.72 per pound, so I think she got ripped off.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

ate the last of the kfc. i am so glad it is gone. was really getting sick of it. i almost threw it away. then my scotch blood reared it's ugly head. think i will make tacos for dinner tomorrow. need some hot stuff. have some fresh salsa so should be good.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #26
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Sounds good! If you ever are lucky enough to get fresh beets with their greens, cook up the greens too. They are delicious.

My neighbor brings me fresh goodies practically weekly from his friends farm. Everything is right out of the ground, so the beets did indeed have the greens. How do you cook them? The roasted beets were delicious, btw. I cut them up and put them in a zip lock bag and shook them with some olive oil, salt and pepper. I even tasted them raw and I liked them a lot. I love the earthy taste of root vegetables.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia_ View Post
My neighbor brings me fresh goodies practically weekly from his friends farm. Everything is right out of the ground, so the beets did indeed have the greens. How do you cook them? The roasted beets were delicious, btw. I cut them up and put them in a zip lock bag and shook them with some olive oil, salt and pepper. I even tasted them raw and I liked them a lot. I love the earthy taste of root vegetables.
I just add the chopped beet greens to a stir fry. You could probably steam them too. I have even chopped the stems and added them to salad.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #28
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just add the chopped beet greens to a stir fry. You could probably steam them too. I have even chopped the stems and added them to salad.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
ate the last of the kfc. i am so glad it is gone. was really getting sick of it. i almost threw it away. then my scotch blood reared it's ugly head.
lol, babe. gotta love the scottish. if they sit on a lump of coal, you get a diamond in two weeks.

we went out to rent my boy skis for the winter, then went to one of my favourite retaurants for dinner, the iron horse in westwood, nj. www.theironhorse.com

once again, really good food, great service.

they always offer a plate of pickles and cole slaw to start, odd as it sounds, but it is one of those quirky things that you will remember about the place that you end up looking forward to on future visits.

next up, we had their highly touted baked french onion soup. delicious as always.

for entrees, my boy had fried pierogies and sweet potato fries; dw had a chilean sea bass with hollandaise special; and i had my usual, the chattanooga chicken. it's a toasted hero roll with grilled canadian bacon, grilled chicken breast, bbq sauce and melted mozarella, served with a side of "railroad tie" fries.
big, thick, perfectly crisp but also meaty french fries.

can't wait to go back to pick up the skis and boots from the ski shop, and get some more pickles and cole slaw.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #30
Cook

BuckyTom,

I've never been to The Iron Horse, but they do the pickles and cole slaw as opposed to bread at Arthurs Tavern in Morris Plains and Hoboken, NJ.
It's one of the main reasons I go there...and their french onion soup is to die for!!!