"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-17-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
12/17/10 TGIFriday What's Cooking?

I braised the pork shoulder in sherry and water last night and stuck it in the fridge.

The bottom third of it cooked directly in the braising liquid, so the meat from that side of the roast will have a rich flavor.

I'm stripping the roast and separating sections for different bags for the freezer. I'm going to marinate some shredded pork in taco seasoning and a can of stewed diced tomatoes. I'll probably put it in the freezer so it will be yummy for tacos or burritos later on.

I'll take that bottom braised meat and taste test it for ideas. I've never done this with sherry before, but the broth tastes really good. Not sweet, but really rich.

So that's the way my day is headed. How about you?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
I gonna try a new cake recipe, based on genoise and round chocolates :)
I'm not sure about the recipe yet !

Come and discover our cuisine, our ideas and test new tastes... live from France on FrenchysCuisine.com
Frenchys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Master Chef
I'm going to make egg foo yung and sesame noodles. Hope I can pull this off. Two first time recipes in the same meal.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Flour Child
frenchy...i had to look up "genoise" but it was well worth the effort...yum! You and jabbur are certainly adventurous today.

I marinated a flank steak overnight in Good Seasons Italian Dressing that I had cut across the top in a crisscross pattern about 1/8" deep. Tonite I'll quickly sear it on both sides and finish it off in the oven at 350 for 7 min. I'm serving it with Carmelized Balsamic Red Onions and bright green Haricots Verts (french green beans).

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
I'm going to make Sam's Brandied chicken tonight. Not sure on the sides or the salad yet. I'm leaning toward a killer coleslaw.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Honey Badger
Were headed out to cut our tree, in the rain. It's storming here.Get some shopping done. I'll make a casserole, bake a loaf of french bread before we go. Heat and eat when we get home.

If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Clam Chowder today! I wanted salmon salad sandwiches, but I'm out of mayo!
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Good question. I won't know until I arrive at the place I am performing at. I know there is a restaurant across the street and lots of times when we play Xmas parties, they feed the band. So, I'm not sure, yet.
I brought a pizza home from work, for my wife and daughter to have tonight, 'cus the cooks gone and R U N N O F T.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
probably just scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese, sausage and toast. some cranberry sauce on the side. or a homemade sub with smoked turkey and cheese. have some yummy coleslaw left.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
I will be grilling some kilbasa and just whipped up a batch of sesame noodles for a side.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote