12/27/10 Monday What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm starting to feel a little better today so I made egg noodles cooked in bullion with a package of cooked drumsticks from the freezer from when I made stock. I added some of the dried scallions for color and flavor, then drained it all into a bowl.

I was in the mood for some hot buttered noodles, so I just put some in a bowl along with some chicken and added butter. Very good. I think I will keep the noodles and the broth in separate containers so the noodles don't get soggy. I can always heat some up, with the broth, for chicken noodle soup.:chef:

What are you cooking today?

We're off to the Waterpark today. We'll be playing all afternoon so Ken is taking us out for dinner after that. I'm still so freaking full that I'll likely just have salad. LOL!

Through the oddest set of circustances I have a bunch of leftovers in the house:
lobster
snow crab
shrimp: two sizes
bay scallops
mussels
clam juice
bacon
Now some of those ingredients, particularly the lobster and snow crab, have never graced our doorway before. But tonight we are feasting on a sublime seafood chowder. I know I will be serving it with a salad but am still debating about some form of bread to put with it. I'm pretty sure hubby will want saltines but I'm thinking maybe a cornbread just to give a little nod to the corn in a New England clam bake. I just love it when the Lord unexpectedly gifts us with the best of his kingdom.

I am roasting a small turkey for sandwiches etc. Still have some leftover stuffing from my pork roast. Maybe tomorrow with some turkey? The leftover roast goes with blackeye peas for new years.

Last edited:
I have a two pound piece of pork sirloin Im going to roast with some potatoes and a veggie.

zhizara - glad you're feeling better.
PF60 - Happy Anniversary!

We sure got walloped with some blizzard yesterday. We had snow drifts over 4' and snowfall of about 18". My guys are outside right now digging the cars out of the driveway.

I have a whole chicken simmering away ... it feels so cozy in my kitchen right now. I'll pick the meat off the chicken and make chicken and dumpling soup for tonight's dinner. We still have some leftovers from Christmas Day that we'll reheat for lunch, but I think we've had enough.

Enjoy the day and safe travels for all in the Northeast affected by this weather.

We will probably have pizza. I have never tried making pizza before. We can use up my experimental "Italian" sausage meat.

I was going to make open faced pork sandwiches, but pizza is sounding kind of good right about now... and I have a portobello cap I want to use up.

If I can get my butt in gear, I will make up a bunch of Turkey Pot Pies from the xmas leftovers...If not, then probably a turkey sandwich:LOL:

Well, I've got the filling finished. But, alas, I have no lard to make up the crust. So it will have to be tomorrows dinner.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 159
It's our 26th Anniversary today...Shrek has plans, I don't know what they are.
Happy anniversary! Enjoy whatever the plans turn out to be!

It is time to start supper and I still don't know what I am going to fix! Actually we had a very late lunch, so supper will be late as well. Maybe I'll do the scalloped potatoes and ham tonight instead of for New Year's Day. We can do ham and beans on New Year's (or ham and blackeyed peas).

:)Barbara

No pizza for us tonight. My yeast is dead. :(

We just had a snack of corned beef soup. Later on we will have fried eggs, home fries, sausage patties from that "Italian" sausage I made, and toast. I talked the DH into cooking it. :wub:

Sometimes it's good to have breakfast for dinner ;)

Happy anniversary! Enjoy whatever the plans turn out to be!

It is time to start supper and I still don't know what I am going to fix! Actually we had a very late lunch, so supper will be late as well. Maybe I'll do the scalloped potatoes and ham tonight instead of for New Year's Day. We can do ham and beans on New Year's (or ham and blackeyed peas).

:)Barbara

I definitely vote for ham and blackeyed peas it's traditional to have blackeyed peas for New Years.

I get so many 2# packs of beans from commodities, but no blackeyed peas, and I have that beautiful fresh pork ham bone.

I wanted to make baby limas with it, or split peas, but only have 1/2 # of each (from the store) left. I'm debating using both of them together with that big bone. I do have a whole big bag of pintos too. Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions. What do you think?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom