12/29/10 Wednesday What's Cooking Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
It can be a little confusing finding this thread.

If we put the date first, it will come up first in a list of new posts, ahead of any other What's Cooking thread.

Since the day of the week is next most important: gym class, course of study, TGIF. So why not put this one second?

What's Cooking. I'm interested in your dinner, but what are you making today?

I'll probably start with a bean soup, using the gorgeous fresh ham bone with lots of meat on it. So I'd rather the thread leave it open to what I may be cooking all day.

It's okay to start a thread if you don't see this one, post away. It will get to the right place.

:chef:

Last edited:
I'm making enchiladas for dinner, but it will be an all day project. Not all that much to do. The hamburger is thawed.

It's not very cold at all today, so I'm not rushing to get my taco meat mixture going, but I do want to get it started early enough that I can let the spices do their magic.

My cold seems to have gone. My appetite is back :clap:

Hope your having a good day out there. So What's Cooking?

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. I'd add, there's no need to post that you haven't decided what's for dinner yet.

I'm making tomato sauce with Italian sausage. We'll have that over spaghetti.

We're having guests for dinner.

Pork tenderloin - crusted in pepper, seared and then finished in the oven
Green bean casserole - I've been having a craving
Asparagus - blanched then done with proscuitto and cheese
Caesar salad = also had a craving for this
I haven't decided on whether I will do potatoes or wild rice as our starch. Dessert is also up for consideration. I might do a pie, or another ganache tart. I'll have to see what I feel like baking today.

And I must drive you two nuts! I often post that I'm not sure whats for dinner yet and that I'm looking for ideas. If I ever get the opportunity to start the thread I frequently start with the day of the week, or "Whats for Dinner". I figure we all look in the Today's Menu section to find the current dinner thread. Oops. Sorry you two, I didn't realize that it was bugging others. I think we all have our preferences about how to post this thread, mine is that I like the date written out, "Wednesday December 29". Guess we all have our quirks huh? :LOL:

I still have no concrete plans. But I am leaning towards some lentil soup with onion, carrot, garlic and a Trader Joe rice medley/blend.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up some fresh chicken wings and grill them. I am undecided on the sauce though.

We may be eating out tonight. We are going out shopping for house stuff and will probably get something as a late lunch/early dinner.

I'm making potato/ham soup tonight to take out to my fiance tomorrow! I know I'll have trouble staying out of it....maybe just a taste test??;)

I'm making potato/ham soup tonight to take out to my fiance tomorrow! I know I'll have trouble staying out of it....maybe just a taste test??;)
Welcome to the forum. the soup sounds yummy. Will you post the recipe?

If we put the date first, it will come up first in a list of new posts, ahead of any other What's Cooking thread.

Since the day of the week is next most important: gym class, course of study, TGIF. So why not put this one second?

I think that putting the day of the week in the title and putting the date first is an excellent idea.

But, could we please use an international date format, instead of one used only in the U.S.? I'm always getting confused when the month isn't written out. I find that YYYY-MM-DD, e.g., 2010-12-29 for today, is the least confusing to the most people.

I think that putting the day of the week in the title and putting the date first is an excellent idea.

But, could we please use an international date format, instead of one used only in the U.S.? I'm always getting confused when the month isn't written out. I find that YYYY-MM-DD, e.g., 2010-12-29 for today, is the least confusing to the most people.
Sorry but that format confuses the heck out of me every time. :LOL: HMMMMMMMMM both ways or written out. Wednesday, December 29, 2010 (I used to write it out with the day and date)?

Sorry but that format confuses the heck out of me every time. :LOL: HMMMMMMMMM both ways or written out. Wednesday, December 29, 2010 (I used to write it out with the day and date)?

Or maybe 2010 December 29. Because when I see 12-29-10 I only know it's probably December (or less likely, October) because there is no month 29 :LOL:

I usually use a large mug filled half way to test for seasonings. It's enough for a snack. Have something else planned for yourself so you won't be too tempted to eat the soup.

Then refrigerate overnight. Test a spoonful after you've heated it up for your fiancee's. The flavors will have changed overnight. Adjust seasonings if necessary.

Sure, if you'd like me to! Want me to post it here?
Thank you. You can post the ingredients here as a preview (only because I am so curious LOL) and the full recipe in the soup forum. Just let me know where and the name.

I started a pot of mixed baby lima beans and split peas with a big fresh ham bone with lots of meat on it.

:chef:

This is what I meant. Everyone has a different idea about what will work best, or what is easiest to find etc. Wanna be mods? LOL! This is the kind of dilemma that causes lots of cranky PMs to fly!

How about whoever starts the thread can decide what format they would like to use? That way if you want it YOUR way, you just have to make darned sure you are online early enough to start it! ;)

Now, to amend my dinner list, I have decided that I don't feel like doing the asparagus with proscuitto. I think that might be just too much meat with the pork tenderloin. I'll just steam the asparagus and have a cheese sauce available for those who like that.

I may have to stretch the menu a bit too. It appears we will have at least one more, possibly two more bodies at the table. Its all good! The more the merrier IMO.

i'll crockpot a pea soup w/ turnip, carrot, & hamhock & celery, puree half, then that's gonna be frozen.
also making linguine/seafood w/ a garlicky, citrusy olive oil drizzle. man, i should make dinner now!

Back
Top Bottom