"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2018, 11:49 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's something I have not done Andy. Were you pleased with the results and how did you finish them?
Was pleased with the results? Yes and no. They were just like the ones I make in a CI skillet but more complicated to make. Not difficult, just more steps.

I finished them in that same CI skillet just to brown/crisp the skin and back side.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:10 AM   #22
Senior Cook

I made a soup for tomorrow evening, but sampled it tonight. It's sort of a Jambalaya soup - something I made with a pound and a half of leftover ham. I made it with some whole grains (barley and quinoa), rather than white rice (2 guests are diabetic, though it seems they care less about that than I do!), and made sort of a thin porridge, with all of the same veggies and seasonings that go in the pilaf style Jambalaya. I just put enough (5) raw shrimp for my serving tonight; the rest will go in after I reheat it for tomorrow night. I made some shrimp broth with the shells - I'll put some more into the soup tomorrow, as I know it will thicken way up, like barley always does.

That's all I have to make for tomorrow, but I have the sweet things (fudge and the rest of those cookies), as well.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Was pleased with the results? Yes and no. They were just like the ones I make in a CI skillet but more complicated to make. Not difficult, just more steps.

I finished them in that same CI skillet just to brown/crisp the skin and back side.
I have also found that sous vide chicken isn't really worth the extra time and effort, especially with dark meat. It probably helps keep breasts moist, but for thighs, I just grill them or toss them in the cast-iron.

I also find sous vide to be a waste of time with chicken wings. They just don't seem to turn out any better, IMO.

CD
“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.” ― Christopher Hitchens
caseydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:45 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, I had guessed that thighs wouldn't benefit from sous vide and I did chicken breasts just once and wasn't impressed there either. Then again, I prefer dark meat chicken.

I want to experiment more with sous vide but for me Tri Tip roast is my favorite as it cooks the odd triangle shape so perfectly from end to end. It also can't be beat for a thick cut Rib Eye steak.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:55 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...I made a salad to go with. This was a joint effort that involved a fair amount of wine. Well worth doing it that way...
So THAT'S the secret to making a salad less tedious! I must try your method next time, taxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
... These wings and mozz suck.
So did the refs covering the Browns-Ravens game. Not much either of us could do about either problem though...

I prepped every kind of topping I could think of that someone might want on a pizza: sausage crumbles, pepperoni, diced ham, bacon, prosciutto, black olives, chopped onion, spinach, fresh tomato, mushrooms, diced red and yellow peppers, mozz cheese. *phew* I think I remembered it all. Used Naan bread and jarred sauce - the kids got Contadina sauce in a squeeze bottle. Took everything to Loverly's friend's house to assemble and eat. T'was yummy, but I came back to Loverly's and made myself a small salad.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:45 AM   #26
Master Chef

Last Night's Stuffed Peppers, Oven Roasted Spud, Peas 'n Pearls... and the ever - present Salad ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuffed Peppers.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	32815
Old 12-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Passed on the peas..used up a couple of rubbery parsnips..went a bit heavy on the gravy, but short rib gravy is my favorite beef gravy..
+1. One of my most fave meals! Looks delish. Your gravy looks so rich - I usually add a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet to darken up my gravy a bit.

Tags
dinner