12/9/10-Thursday. What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Howdy all. I've got some eye of round beef slices simmering in a tomato sauce. I'm going to serve that with some spaghetti and garlic bread. Pics to follow. Have a good dinner everybody!

Last edited:
Chinese pepper steak and jasmine rice.
I am seriously heading to your house right now! That sounds SO good.

I am starving, but I forgot to take anything out this morning, so it looks like I will be having frozen breaded fish fillets. I'm not sure if I have any fries left in the freezer. If not, I might just have cottage cheese and a vegetable with the fish. Starting it now--I pretty much forgot to eat today (I had a little Banquet peach pie--same size as their pot pies--this morning, and that's it). I love these fish fillets, but I have to admit pepper steak and jasmine rice sound a lot better right now!

:)Barbara

Here's my recipe. I started with an Epicurious.com recipe and tweaked it to our liking. This is enough for two.

Chinese Pepper Steak

8 Oz Flank Steak
4 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
½ Tb Cornstarch
1 Tb Chinese Rice Wine
2 tsp Garlic (use a rasp grater)
2 tsp Ginger (use a rasp grater)
¼ tsp Salt
½ tsp Sugar
2 tsp Peanut Oil

1 Tb Ketchup
1 Tb Hoi sin sauce
2 tsp Chile Garlic Sauce

4 tsp Peanut Oil, divided
1 tsp Salt
1 Ea Bell Pepper, ¼” strips
½ C Beef Broth, optional
½ C Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp Sesame Oil

Cut the steak with grain into 1½ - 2-inch-wide strips. Cut each strip across grain into ¼ inch-thick slices.

Put the slices into a medium bowl with the soy sauce, cornstarch, rice wine, garlic, ginger, salt, sugar, and the oil and stir with a fork. Marinate, refrigerated, for at least 30 minutes and up to four hours.

Stir together the ketchup, hoi sin, and chile garlic sauce in a small bowl and set it aside.

Heat the wok over high heat. Pour 2 teaspoons oil down the side of the wok, then swirl the oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides. Add the salt and bell pepper. Stir-fry to cook the pepper. Remove to a plate.

Pour the remaining 2 teaspoons of the oil down the side of the wok over high heat, then swirl the oil, tilting wok to coat sides.

Add the beef, spreading pieces in one layer on the bottom and sides as quickly as possible.

Cook undisturbed, letting beef begin to brown, for 1 minute, then stir-fry until meat is just browned on all sides but still pink in center, about 1 minute.

Add the cooked peppers, the scallions, the beef with any juices and the ketchup mixture. Bring to a boil and stir-fry until well combined and heated through. If the sauce is too thick, use some or all of the broth to thin it. Conversely, if the sauce is too thin, simmer to thicken.

Toss with the sesame oil then transfer to a platter.

Thanks for the recipe Andy. I copied and pasted it to my Word recipe file. The only ingredients I have for that so far are ketchup, cornstarch, salt, and sugar!

Boy do I feel dumb! I found out I had a whole bag of fries, so I opened it up and started them cooking. When I went to put the rest of the bag in the freezer I saw an opened bag with plenty for a meal. Sheesh! So now I have two open bags. I don't buy them very often, so I didn't notice the open bag when I looked the first time.

:)Barbara

Mac & cheese with ham & broccoli. Multiple cheeses sauce.

I made this with the whole wheat rotini. I couldn't tell the difference.

Here's a pic...doesn't look like much, I'm afraid...

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 162
Me too. What's in it?

I start with some eye of round beef slices, and give them a few wacks with the mallet, dredge them in flour and brown in olive oil. When they are browned on both sides, I push them aside and add onions, leeks, garlic, peppers and saute a bit. Then I poured in a bit of red wine to clean up the cooked on bits from the bottom. Then I added a tin of diced tomatos, bay leaves, parsley, black pepper, tsp of sugar, basil and simmered it for an hour. Then I threw in some cooked spaghetti, toss, and covered it with fresh parmesan and parsley, placed the garlic bread along side and brought the whole 14 inch pan to the table. I love that pan...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom