1st November 2011 - What are you cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A stray cat abandoned her kitten in our back yard so I was at the vet this afternoon with the kitten and the dog who needed his annual checkup. We picked up KFC on the way home.

Grilled pork chops, buttered corn (from the summer mmmmmmm), fried cabbage

I ended up making an Alfredo sauce with mushrooms, shrimp, bay scallops and other stuff over angel hair pasta. Broccoli on the side.

We went out to Moe's Deli & Bar. I had a smoked salmon and bagel platter, which was yummy and the DH had a Chicago pizza, which smelled wonderful and DH said was excellent.

babetoo said:
lemon lovers meatloaf, sweet potato fries and pea salad. choco cupcake for dessert.

Babetoo what is lemon lovers meatloaf?

I googled "red-eye gravy" and it says it's made with coffee :ohmy:

Do you mind sharing your recipe?

In it's essence, it is a simple pan gravy. Basically deglaze the frying pan with a cup of cooled coffee and cook until reduced by half. The result is thin compared to cream or brown gravy. It has a beautiful deep reddish brown color. Tradition suggests that it should be made from the drippings of a ham steak.

My family is accustomed to a thicker gravy. I take things a step further and thicken with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in cold water.

In it's essence, it is a simple pan gravy. Basically deglaze the frying pan with a cup of cooled coffee and cook until reduced by half. The result is thin compared to cream or brown gravy. It has a beautiful deep reddish brown color. Tradition suggests that it should be made from the drippings of a ham steak.

My family is accustomed to a thicker gravy. I take things a step further and thicken with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in cold water.

I'm going to have to give that a try. Doesn't the corn starch make the gravy lighter in colour? I can imagine it would be a beautiful colour with the coffee.

I'm going to have to give that a try. Doesn't the corn starch make the gravy lighter in colour? I can imagine it would be a beautiful colour with the coffee.

It may lighten it just a little. I like the sheen that the cornstarch adds to the party.

My experience with Corn Starch is that is always thickens liquid clear. It is used a lot to thicken fruit dishes.

dw made oven baked "fried" boneless chicken breasts, stovetop stuffing, and steamed asparagrass.

the chicken was outstanding. so tender even a tick breast could be cut with a fork, and it was juicy. and i've been a sucker for stovetop stuffing since i was a kid. yeah, it's too salty and kinda nasty gooey, but my mom made it a lot so it's comfort food to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom