2/21/2019 - Girl Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
The full name of Girl Day is Introduce A Girl To Engineering Day, as declared by DiscoverE (formerly the National Engineers Week Foundation). I wish there were more girls in my engineering classes when I was in school.

Girl Day | DiscoverE Engineering

I shoveled last night's snow off the patio so I can get to the grill, so dinner will grilled marinated steak tips, wild rice with bacon and mushrooms, and everybody's favorite, roasted brussel sprouts.

We were out and about so, we stopped at an Asian Buffet, close to our apartment..

Pleasantly surprised as we have struck out on previous attempts to find Chinese food here in bubba country.. :yum:

An additional nice surprise was that Thursday is Senior Day.. $4.99 per person..

Any day we can walk out of a restaurant for $20 including tip, is a good day.. ;)

Ross

Any day we can walk out of a restaurant for $20 including tip, is a good day

I’ll say! We had two Big Macs and one order of medium fries a couple of weeks ago (extra cheese on the Macs) and it was nearly $15! Their 2 for $5 sale was over...

DH just left to get our dinner. One of those pizza places that is advertising pretzel crust pizza. Hope he remembers I like mushrooms on mine. lol Let's hope it's good.

Looking forward to your review on that pizza, cookie. I just can't wrap my head (or taste buds) around a pizza with a pretzel crust...

BLT sandwiches on homemade country white bread; potato salad.

...I wish there were more girls in my engineering classes when I was in school...
Loverly went to a two-week "Women in Engineering" seminar at Ohio University the summer of 1998 between her junior and senior high school years. After graduation, she majored in engineering, stressing landscape engineering, for two years at the U of Akron. Made dean's list all four semesters...then decided that college wasn't for her. :(

Looking forward to your review on that pizza, cookie. I just can't wrap my head (or taste buds) around a pizza with a pretzel crust...

BLT sandwiches on homemade country white bread; potato salad.

Well, it looks like I won't find out either. Change of plans. Won't go into it:rolleyes: now, DH is going to Boston Market for their Prime Rib dinner. CG, I'd rather have your BLT dinner. ;)

I was in the mood for an omelet, so that was dinner. I made a 3-egg omelet stuffed with chopped sauteed bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, asparagus, and ham. Steamed and buttered baby red potatoes for a side.

I couldn't finish the whole omelet and didn't expect to, so I'll gently warm the rest of it for breakfast tomorrow morning. :yum:

I've worked directly with a lot of engineers on a daily and regular basis over the last 3 decades; probably several hundred. Only 5 were/are "girls", or women. Actually, one person was non-binary gender. Singular pronouns were always a difficult thing in their case.

All of them were promoted and paid at top scale as full supervisors right away (in other words, paid at the highest rate as offered by company contract) simply because of their gender. None of their promotions were based on ability or talent, just gender (or fluidity, in the one case).
Now, they are/were all decent folks to work with, however, none of them were/are able or willing to handle working a shift by themselves as almost everyone else does, but that is overlooked. It was offered, but they all refused. They always have requested someone else on the same shift to "fill in the gaps", or they wouldn't work it.
So much for equality and fairness.

If you have a daughter or gender fluid child, I highly recommend that she (or they) go into the S.T.E.M. field. As is said in hockey, the rink is tilted towards the other team's goal, big time.
I hope the day will come in my working life that there really is equality in the workplace in engineering. As much as people bash millenials, I believe it will with their generation.

Nonetheless, dinner tonight is leftovers dug out of the freezer. Sunday gravy, and leftover pasta.

Last edited:
No snow storm was going to stop me from making grilled Cheeseburgers and French Fries for dinner tonight!
I had shoveled away the snow from my staging area ...

IMG_3494.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

... and I had the foresight last night before it all started
to move my grill under the Covered Patio :cool:

my new gril.jpg

Smart girl! K~Girl that is... Girls ROCK!!

I have a pound of hamburger thawed and I can't decide between meatloaf, Hamburger Helper, or making taco meat to finish up the tortillas. I'm leaning towards the taco meat.

More Asian salmon tonight, this time with spaghetti. Salmon poached in tare. I made a broth with hondashi, kombu, and dried shiitake rehydrated. Then I put a couple spoonfuls of the tare in a bowl added the cooked pasta, topped it with sautéed onions, the mushrooms and some furikake and nori, and poured the broth over everything. It was delicious!

I had my book club meeting last night. I just barely finished the book in time, so I bought a snack tray from the store to take with me. Wish I had thought to bring some homemade mustard, too. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom