2/28/2019 - National Chili Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I haven't made chili in a while and have been thinking about it. I have tow wait for my wrist to be knife-worthy before I can cut up chuck roasts.

Finished our pot of chili beans too..

Tonight will be quesadillas made with last nights pork leftovers..

Tapioca pudding for dessert..

Ross

We are going to have BBQ ribs and doctored baked beans. The prepared heat and serve ribs were on sale so I pick some up.

Muffaletta fritatta woth capicola, mortadella, sopressata, and provolone, with homemade olive salad/giardineria and focaccia.

Attachments

• 2019-02-28 17.03.07.jpg
    2019-02-28 17.03.07.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 144
BBQ ribs and doctored baked beans. We didn't really care for the heat and eat flavor. Homemade is better.

ribs_beans_022919_IMG_5475.jpg

Dinner with a friend at a newish local resto. I had a decent cheesesteak and baked beans.

Since it's National Chili Day, I had to make some...not that I need an excuse! I took 3 lbs of "beef cubes for chili" from the freezer, but I ended up adding some black beans to them, instead of making a true Texas chili. I half cooked 2 cups of black beans - about 12 min. in the IP, plus 15 minutes pressure release time, and they were still al dente, which was just right for adding to the chili half way through.

Here are the 5 different capsicums I used - one of them sweet paprika.
All of the capsicums used in the chili. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Second half of the beef browning. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chile caribe, added to the uncooked chili. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chili, after about an hour of simmering. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Heating up the tortillas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I texted a friend this photo, and added that I might have some left, if he stops by tomorrow!
Chili, after thickening with masa harina. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Chili by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This will be the only time this year that I have put leftovers in the freezer - more than I took out, depending on visitors tomorrow! I can never make a small amount of chili. But so far, I have gotten a lot out of there, to make room for those veggies in the summer.

Last edited:
I'm in Corpus Christi for a week, with a bunch of guys from Indiana and one guy from Canada. So far, they are getting most of their food from Whataburger. Well, breakfast and lunch. I can't blame them. It is good stuff. They seriously look forward to it when they come to Texas.

But, we need to branch out a bit. I need to drag them to a reel taqueria for some good Mexican street food. I know they will love it, I just have to push them out of their comfort zones. I've done it before, so they trust me -- but it still takes a little nudging on my part.

And for ME, I need to have some good gulf coast seafood. There's a good crawfish place near where we are working, and it is crawfish season -- can I push them that far? Hmmmmmm.

Today, it was Whataburger for breakfast, and Little Caesars pizza for lunch (when you are real hungry, LC doesn't suck). Dinner was snack foods and Jack Daniels at the Caseydog Salloon -- my hotel room. I get my own room, which is actually a suite. We worked our a$$e$ off today. That's what we needed tonight.

CD

Last Night's Breaded (Kraft Oven-Fry) Pork Loin Chop, Air Fryer, Boiled, Buttered Yam, Cheesy Brussels Sprouts...

Pork Loin Chop, Breaded.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom