"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
Sous Chef

My dining room set seats 12 easily, 14 or 15 if we're cozy. But it's in storage. Now I think with some creative juggling I'll manage 5 or 6 on the boat.

On the deck (when we were in the house) we had a table made out of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood - it was great - we could feed a huge crew out on the deck. It was a lot of fun.

Thanksgiving this year will be small, one of our crew now has a SO who will be cooking for her family for Turkey day. A good friend of ours from NY/PA area is going to try to come out, and my youngest daughter and her father (maybe). Another of our usual crew crossed the line with me - and he got a rousing chewing out last night - he may cancel. That means maybe 5 people, this is going to be tricky - but I think I'll have all the sides done and on ice in a cooler - that way while the turkey rests everything else can go in the oven and get cooked.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Harborwitch...when you say crew...do you mean like sailors and stuff????

Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I have no problem cooking for 20 when I serve buffet style, which I almost always do. In nice weather, when people can sit out on the deck, I can up that to 30.
But my comfort zone is 8-12. I can seat 8 at the dining room table, and 4 more at the coffee table, which is a cut down round oak dining table. The kids like to eat there, and I have matching tableclothes for both tables, and do the same candles and flowers for the kids as I do for the adults.
When I was a girl, my father had a regulation size pool table in the living room. It didn't last overlong, however. There must have been some shucking and jiving to get in the living room in the first place. I know how my mom hates anything 'on the way'...and little is on the way as much as a regulation size pool table. Anyway.......my dad had a huge piece of plywood that he would lay across the pool table, making it easily a table for 30!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I can handle 12-15 if we are eating inside, I can do more when the weather is nice and we use the deck. I really like somewhere between 10-12 I think.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Glad that's over!

I left the party at 7pm with half an hour of service left. When I left 435 people dined/were still dining. I didn't expect many more. I had purchased 25 turkeys, I had three left. 100 pounds of sweet potatoes, 150 yukon gold, 70 green beans, 25 peas, 25 carrots, 45 corn, 4 cases of grapes, 1 case of tangerines, 2 cases of apples, 1 case of pears, 2 cases of honeydew, 1 case of canteloupe, 2 case of pineapple, 45 pounds of various cheeses, 35 gallons of gravy, 15 gallons of cream of mushroom soup, 14 gallons of pumpkin soup, 60 pies, 30 gallons of apple cider, 500 dinner rolls, a dozen ficelles, 4 artisan loaves which were supposed to be for decoration.

When I say there is no food left, I am hardly exagerating. I've got one pan of green beans, one pan of sauteed vegetable blend, 2 gallons of each soup, 2 gallons of gravy, 2 pans of mashed potatoes, 1 pan of candied sweets, and about 4 pies. No fruit, no cheese, and they ripped the artisan bread I used for the display at the fruit and cheese bar apart with their bare hands! Hard to imagine that lunch had ended a mere 2 and a half hours prior.

If I hit the 550 mark like I anticipated, I would have been effeciently wiped out. It was a great night, though...a huge success. The compliments were flowing from all ends, all departments, all offices.

When I got home I ate a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato on oat bread and had two drakes' coffe cake juniours, with a glass of milk. It was fabulous.

I am soooooooooooo ready for my martini.