"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
Executive Chef

2 hundred ten pounds of turkey!

In place of my regular menued dinner this thursday, 16 November, I'm serving Thanksgiving dinner to anyone and everyone associated with my 'situation'. I'm preparing for 550 guests.

It's free.

No dime to drop in the bucket, no fare to produce, no tarrif will be collected. Eat till you ache, it's all free today! Actually, my company picks up the cheque.

When you have that many guests coming to dinner, you simply must start cooking days in advance. I made the cranberry compote, all 20 gallons of it today. I sauteed all the vegetables for the stuffing, and sauteed the carrots for the peas and carrots. 2 ladies on my crew spent two hours cubing day old bread for the stuffing. When I left today, 150 pounds of sweet potatoes were baking in the oven.

I've got to start cooking the turkeys tomorrow so I am finished by Wednesday evening. I have 24 turkeys to roast! My baker started baking pies this afternoon. Hopefully, he'll be done by Wednesday evening as well!

I'm having Thanksgiving dinner for 6 here at my home on 23 November! A much more manageable amount of guests...and perfect for the one turkey..all 18 pounds of it!

What is a comfortable number for you? I can do the 550 easily enough, what with years of practice....but I really prefer intimate dinners with 12 at the maximum. Besides, my good china only has service for 12

Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
6 or 8.... unless it's a party...with just lots of finger food. The last party had 40 guests.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef

If I'm going to do more than 30, the weather better be nice so people can enjoy the yard and garden! 30 people in my home would be cozy only if you like with aquaintances!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
In place of my regular menued dinner this thursday, 16 November, I'm serving Thanksgiving dinner to anyone and everyone associated with my 'situation'. I'm preparing for 550 guests.
Am I the only one who doesn't know what your "situation" is? I feel like I missed something very important somewhere along the way.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
...What is a comfortable number for you? I can do the 550 easily enough, what with years of practice....but I really prefer intimate dinners with 12 at the maximum. Besides, my good china only has service for 12
Thanksgiving for us this year will be for two. That won't stop me from doing a full T'Day dinner. After all, leftovers are what it's all about!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thanksgiving will consist of around 20 - 25 people (that's usual) but I will be able to feed more - but there better be leftovers!!!!!! THAT'S the ONLY reason to have Thanksgiving at your house! Nothing better than broccoli casserole for breakfast the next morning and a turkey, dressing, and cranberry sauce sandwich for lunch (with mayo ).

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:06 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne
Am I the only one who doesn't know what your "situation" is? I feel like I missed something very important somewhere along the way.
I don't talk about it much. I'm the executive chef at one of the NYs largest university campuses. There are three campuses, two in the city, and one in the hudson valley. Each campus has an executive chef, answering to a general manager located at one campus in the city. The campus I run is the beautiful one, in the hudson valley.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:07 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Thanksgiving for us this year will be for two. That won't stop me from doing a full T'Day dinner. After all, leftovers are what it's all about!
I won't get involved if there is no promise of hot turkey and stuffing sandwiches at midnight.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
Sous Chef

In the restaurant environment, I'd cook for however many I needed to - at home, I'll handle 20-30 'cause I kept most of my catering equipment. Preference? I think 12 to 15 is a nice amount of people to get around the table and be able to visit with everyone.

This year?? TWO! But it will definitely be a traditional - can't go to bed without a turkey sandwich....
Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Master Chef

I have no problem cooking for 20 when I serve buffet style, which I almost always do. In nice weather, when people can sit out on the deck, I can up that to 30.
But my comfort zone is 8-12. I can seat 8 at the dining room table, and 4 more at the coffee table, which is a cut down round oak dining table. The kids like to eat there, and I have matching tableclothes for both tables, and do the same candles and flowers for the kids as I do for the adults.