"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Cowboy beans casserole and a pan of jalapeno cornbread. Makes enough to share with any whales in our vicinity. Baking in the oven took the chill off the house too.

By about the 3rd day of this, it ought to thicken up and i can make some kind of tacos. Looking forward to it.
Present company excluded of course, right?

I'm going to make this Sam the Cooking Guy - Mexican Bruschetta
No cilantro, but I do have some fresh mint and oregano. It will be a Greek influenced bruschetta

Old 10-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
You mean okra, right? Or did you misspell killer whale?
Tell us you're not having orca stew for dinner (even though it's probably pretty good
That's what I was thinking too. I don't know how good orca would taste. We don't usually eat carnivores, especially fish eaters. Ever try merganser? My ex shot one because he didn't realize what kind of duck it was. So he cooked it. He said it was pretty awful.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Merganser? I've never eaten any wild duck, but don't they all eat fish if they can catch them?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Merganser? I've never eaten any wild duck, but don't they all eat fish if they can catch them?
According to Ducks Unlimited Canada:

"What do ducks eat?

That depends on the duck’s species and life stage. Different species have different diets. As well, ducks often eat different things at different ages, depending on what their bodies need.

"For example, mallards will eat a variety of foods, such as seeds, roots and stems of bulrushes, millet and smartweed, as well as waste grain like barley from farmers fields. They’ve also been known to eat mosquito larvae, midges and mayfly nymphs.

"A different example is the common merganser. These birds usually eat minnows, game fish, trout, salmon and some amphibians."
Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Interesting.
All I know about ducks is they need water with their food.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I've always wanted to bring a shephard's crook down by the lake and snag me one of the Canadian geese that live here all summer. I think they would taste like bread crusts and popcorn and what all they get fed by the neighborhood. I suspect there are city laws that prohibit this as their population seldom decreases until the latest date they can fly south.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I've always wanted to bring a shephard's crook down by the lake and snag me one of the Canadian geese that live here all summer. I think they would taste like bread crusts and popcorn and what all they get fed by the neighborhood. I suspect there are city laws that prohibit this as their population seldom decreases until the latest date they can fly south.
I think Canadian geese have accents. Canada geese make their home in both Canada and US.

The breed is actually Canada geese, not Canadian geese
Old 10-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Canadian geese taste like maple syrup and back bacon. Ontario ducks fast like duck you would get in a restaurant. When I lived on Vancouver Island I couldn't eat the duck. It tasted too much like fish.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Help! I'm having tri-tip roast, but I've started it without an end game plan:

Best way to roast a tri-tip?

I'll appreciate if anybody wants to contribute suggestions/advice to my topic.

Otherwise I live and die by internal temperature from a remote reading thermometer. My remote has never failed me.

I have a potato in there (e.g. baked potato) and I guess I'll nuke some frozen veggies.

One thing I'm looking forward to, all the "after the roast" goodies I can make, particularly considering this bargain roast (barely $10+ for 2-2/3 pounds) and no company tonight ensures I'll have tons (exaggeration) of cooked beef for other recipes.

You can be sure there will be some beef enchiladas and beef crepes in my near future.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
Wine Guy

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there is a hunting season on Canada geese in Minnesota, although I don't know a single person who hunts them or has cooked one. If they were good to eat, you would think you would hear more about them.

There have been a few times I've been tempted to grab the pellet gun and quietly take one out. Have you ever been awoken from a dead sleep by the sound of a gigantic honker crash landing on the roof? They make quite a commotion.

Those are the times I think most about eating one.

Tags
supper