2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made a batch of banana nut muffins yesterday. Had one for breakfast and it was delicious. I use Audeo's recipe on DC.

all from scratch meyer lemon meringue birthday pie, it's dh's b-day and this is always his request rather than cake

View attachment 28010

made the meyer lemon curd two days ago;
made the pâte brisée (i like martha stewart's recipe) yesterday;
this morning i rolled out and blind baked the crust, left it to cool while i met with mrs. Dear friend for a short visit (she hasn't been well and dh insisted that i go, even though it's his birthday, aawwww)
filled it with the curd and then made swiss meringue;
i spread half the recipe over the top to seal the filling and then piped out stars with a large open star tip, wilton® 1m, all pretty like and
put it under the broiler to toast (now i want a propane torch!! That broiler stinks!)...
Dinner to follow :LOL:

013.JPG

Making puff pastry for individual chicken pot pies for supper tonight. Not sure if that counts as baking or not. Love making puff pastry.

Making puff pastry for individual chicken pot pies for supper tonight. Not sure if that counts as baking or not. Love making puff pastry.

It counts +10. :LOL::LOL::LOL: When I made puff pastry, I thought it was just so cool and I really enjoyed it. A lot of people here didn't think it was worth the time or trouble, their loss, ya know? I had made a big batch of it and froze it in smaller portions. Mostly I'm making dinners/lunches taken to work, so I can only really use it when someone has a day off, or for sweets. Frozen baked puffed pastries doesn't hold well, it gets a little soggy. Anyways, I wish I was eating at your house tonight!

I added some savory seasoning to it. I love the whole process. The rolling, folding, chilling, and how gorgeous it looks when it comes out of the oven. Leftover dough is going in the freezer, for now.

Was watching "Good Eats" on the Cooking Channel and a 2006 segment titled "Peachy Keen" came on..

As often happens, Alton inspired me to try his Individual Peach Up-side Down Cakes.. Yield is 4 servings, in ramekins..

Really, really good... :yum:
Only thing I did differently was using thawed frozen peaches.. I've given up on grocery store peaches...

If interested, check it out,

Individual Peach Upside-Down Cake Recipe | Alton Brown | Cooking Channel

Ross

Thanks JC Ross. I have copied that link/recipe. Guessing it would work with pears as well, with maybe a little nutmeg snuck in.

Just finished these a few minutes ago. Made 8 to hold our dinner tonight.

Attachments

• 2017-10-17 15.39.50.jpg
    2017-10-17 15.39.50.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 458
Baked a sponge cake today (first time).

Lemon curd filling is cooling in the fridge.. Need to fill and frost with whipped cream..

Hope it finishes well... :ermm:

Ross

Sounds delish, Ross! I hope it turned out as well as you expected!

Med...how do you get your pita bread to puff up so beautifully like that??! You've probably shared it, sorry if I missed it.

Last edited:
Sounds delish, Ross! I hope it turned out as well as you expected!

Med...how do you get your pita bread to puff up so beautifully like that??! You've probably shared it, sorry if I missed it.

You have to have really high heat, at least 425 and you have to preheat whatever you are baking them on whether it be a stone or the back of a baking sheet so that it's really, really hot. The pitas have to be rolled out fairly thinly too. I rolled them out a little too thin this time so they were a bit more like pita crackers instead of chewy, so maybe between a 1/16 and 1/8 inch'ish. The really high heat hitting the 1 side makes steam come out of the dough, which makes them balloon.

Last edited:
Cheddar cheese and ham bread

Made this cheddar cheese and ham bread last night. The crumb is perfect, but it’s neither very cheesy nor hammy; even though I added cubed instead of shredded cheese, the cheese apparently melted into the dough. Any way to avoid that? And I’d really like to post a picture of it, but I don’t know how!

Made this cheddar cheese and ham bread last night. The crumb is perfect, but it’s neither very cheesy nor hammy; even though I added cubed instead of shredded cheese, the cheese apparently melted into the dough. Any way to avoid that? And I’d really like to post a picture of it, but I don’t know how!

Don't think I can help with your questions, but I would like a recipe though. It sounds like something my Mom would love.

Don't think I can help with your questions, but I would like a recipe though. It sounds like something my Mom would love.
Here it is, from “The No Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook.” I added 1/2 cup of finely diced ham. I’m not breaking any copyright laws; I checked. You can’t copyright a list of ingredients and a set of directions.
12 SLICES / 1½ POUNDS
1¼ cups milk, at 80°F to 90°F
1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper
1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded aged sharp Cheddar cheese ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups white bread flour
1¼ teaspoons bread machine or instant yeast
Put the ingredients into the machine in the order recommended by the machine’s manufacturer; I like to add the cheese and ham at the “add ingredients” alert. Set the machine to “basic” and choose a light or medium crust. You’re done! The book this came from is excellent, and really handy to have digitally. It’s available on Amazon Kindle. Enjoy!

Last edited:
You have to have really high heat, at least 425 and you have to preheat whatever you are baking them on whether it be a stone or the back of a baking sheet so that it's really, really hot. The pitas have to be rolled out fairly thinly too. I rolled them out a little too thin this time so they were a bit more like pita crackers instead of chewy, so maybe between a 1/16 and 1/8 inch'ish. The really high heat hitting the 1 side makes steam come out of the dough, which makes them balloon.

Thank you, Med! I've been wondering how pita bread gets puffy. You've explained it perfectly. :) (I am not much of a baker...:LOL:)

Here it is, from “The No Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook.” I added 1/2 cup of finely diced ham. I’m not breaking any copyright laws; I checked. You can’t copyright a list of ingredients and a set of directions.

According to the US Copyright Office, a list of ingredients can't be copyrighted, but the list and the directions can. Also, a copyrighted work does not have to be marked with the copyright symbol to be protected.

https://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html

We have had many conversations about this before. You might want to do a search and check it out.

Back
Top Bottom