2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Wow another new baking year.

I have a block of cream cheese left unused. I'm thinking it would make a wonderful frosting for a cake or cinnamon rolls.

What's baking at your house?

I made a pound cake that baked while I was prepping our dinner. We'll have fresh strawberries macerated with a tiny bit of triple sec and sugar to go over, and whipped cream on top.

I made marmalade for the first time the other day and DH said it would be great with English muffins. I've been meaning to make this recipe, so that was a good nudge :) I haven't cut into it yet, but it smelled great while it was baking. Baked it in my Pampered Chef stoneware loaf pan.

Here's the recipe I used: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/english-muffin-toasting-bread-recipe

Attachments

• 1484174101989.jpg
    1484174101989.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 1484174115185.jpg
    1484174115185.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 201
I made marmalade for the first time the other day and DH said it would be great with English muffins. I've been meaning to make this recipe, so that was a good nudge :) I haven't cut into it yet, but it smelled great while it was baking. Baked it in my Pampered Chef stoneware loaf pan.

Here's the recipe I used: English Muffin Toasting Bread Recipe | King Arthur Flour

Beautiful GG. Did you make the marmalade in the instantpot?

My bread maker has a jam/jelly feature.

Thanks, msmofet. No, I made it in my Calphalon sauté pan. It needs to evaporate excess moisture as it cooks. At least, the recipe I used does. I wonder if there's a recipe for making jams and jellies in the IP. I'll have to look.

My bread machine is at least 15 years old, so doesn't have the cool modern features, but it works fine, so I can't really justify replacing it. Same with my dang Black & Decker food processor. It was a Christmas gift in 1989 and still works fine! :mad: :LOL:

I've made gougères probably 4 or 5 times during the holiday season

YUM!

Also a few banana breads

One of my resolutions is to bake regular bread and cakes more often this year!

Here's the recipe I used: English Muffin Toasting Bread Recipe | King Arthur Flour

Gee, I have had this recipe in my file for ever so long. I have made it a few times. Time to bring it out of the dust bin and start making it again. It is one of the few bread products I like. Ever so "melt in your mouth" good.

Thanks for the reminder.

Started a new fermented fruit friendship bread jar at the end of 2016 (old one I had been using for 23 years burned in the fire). So it is about time to make cakes and cupcakes with the fruit, drown the cake a bit with some juice, and pass some juice on. My husband hates these "chainmail letters you eat". He disliked how I dragged the juice around with me from different states and houses LOL. But alas, there will be another! He absolutely loves eating them, though!

I made a honey-orange cake today, for my master gardener group's monthly meeting on Tuesday (I'll be out most of tomorrow and I read that honey cake keeps well). I've been coveting this beautiful honeycomb cake pan since I saw a cake made with one at a beekeeping class last winter (the classes went for six hours and lunch was provided) and finally bought it last week.

Below is the recipe I used. I replaced the whiskey with Grand Marnier, added a tablespoon of orange zest and brushed on a glaze of honey and orange juice. Used honey from our hives. Forgot to take a pic after glazing (it's covered and resting in the sunroom now and I don't want to hobble downstairs :LOL: - arthritic knee is acting up). I'll try to remember to take one later.

Even after putting some of the batter in separate dishes (quality control for DH, you know ;) ), it rose at least an inch above the edge of the pan, so it had a huge muffin top :ROFLMAO: I trimmed that off and turned it out and I was so excited that it came out of the pan easily and in one piece! Can't wait to serve it.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/reviews/majestic-and-moist-new-years-honey-cake-350153

Attachments

• 1484530896977.jpg
    1484530896977.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Such delicious pictures, y'all! I keep forgetting to get pictures! The first half of the friendship cake was primo, hoping to make the other half of the batch in a couple weeks to share. So happy to have a new starter!

I made a honey-orange cake today...Forgot to take a pic after glazing (it's covered and resting in the sunroom now and I don't want to hobble downstairs :LOL: - arthritic knee is acting up)...
Nice-looking cake, GG. :yum: What is it with knees today? More than once I had to stop walking up the steps so my trick knee could catch up with me! I have two OTC knee braces - if I'm like this tomorrow, I'm going to strap them on.

Oat cookies with raisin and my tummy didnt like it.. 'sigh* I cant even eat cookies any more.

I am having fun with my new grain free muffin recipe. I first made it with raspberries which it called for. Then I used fresh blueberries. Today it will be cranberries! I used coconut oil, milk and sugar but doesn't taste like coconut at all. You can actually do a lot of subs to make it as "free" or "not" as you want!

I love that recipe! I use if for my breakfast stratas. It's amazing how close it tastes like English Muffins.

Here's Flour's Famous Banana Bread. It's a staple in the Smokey household.

bQBiAxE.jpg

bQBiAxE

bQBiAxE

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom