2018 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And a portrait of today's (Wednesday's) loaf of oatmeal bread:

Attachments

• 20180502_194849.jpg
    20180502_194849.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 161
Nice loaf!

The inside of the Bug cake is chocolatecake, chocolatefudge, marshmellows , digestive biscuits and it covered in chococlate ganache and modelling chocolates.

Attachments

• Insidebugsy.jpg
    Insidebugsy.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 123
  • bugsy.jpg
    bugsy.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 144
Thanks, CP.

Beautiful loaf! I miss rye bread and oatmeal bread the most.
Thanks. I think I'm getting the hang of this. One reason I've been baking bread most of the time lately is because I've been using flour I buy at the Amish bulk stores. They sell flour ground from heritage wheat. From the bit of reading I've done, it seems that the gluten in the old varieties of grains didn't effect metabolism the same way the modern wheats do. I figure baking bread from those old grains might be a compromise to giving up bread. I need bread - after all, my Dad was a bread man, IE delivery driver. Bread is in my DNA!

Thanks, CP.

Thanks. I think I'm getting the hang of this. One reason I've been baking bread most of the time lately is because I've been using flour I buy at the Amish bulk stores. They sell flour ground from heritage wheat. From the bit of reading I've done, it seems that the gluten in the old varieties of grains didn't effect metabolism the same way the modern wheats do. I figure baking bread from those old grains might be a compromise to giving up bread. I need bread - after all, my Dad was a bread man, IE delivery driver. Bread is in my DNA!

I understand, Shrek was a baker. He baked in actual bakeries, I am a home baker...but not doing it since I don't eat bread anymore. I started baking before I hit my teens, the only bread my family and my Aunt's family ate was what came from my hands amd that was before the Kitchen Aid.

I have always been a "scratch" cooker. Thanks to my mother. I have never been one to buy prepared foods. Like frozen meatloaf, gravy in a can or jar, etc. Come Saturday morning I would get the beans in the oven and start on the Boston Brown bread that was baked in Chase and Sanborn empty coffee cans. In this town, there was a bakery it seemed on every corner. In the summer, the kids would come in for a clean dish towel or two, head for the bakery just a half block away from the house. At three in the afternoon, the Italian loaves of bread were coming out of the oven. The kids would take their towel and run down to the bakery and get a hot loaf of bread right out of oven. I would go in the house, get a stick or two of butter and they would all sit on the front steps eating their bread. Just tear off a hunk and devour it.

Come winter time, they would most of the time run to the bakery to get bread for supper. If I was short on cash, I would make the bread for supper. I always had to make two loaves. One for supper, and one for sandwiches for their school lunch the next day.

Now you would think with all of the bread baking I did over the years, that I would love it as much as my kids. I have NEVER liked the crust on bread. And I still don't. In fact I may buy just one loaf a month. For Pirate. He still loves his Italian bread. My favorite bread, if I am going to eat any at all is Pumpernickel. I could eat the whole loaf by myself. For the few years we lived in the town next to us, there was a Jewish bakery on the same block where we lived. I made it a point to become their best customer for the Pumpernickel bread.

I miss making bread. In fact I even bought a large bag of bread flour with the good intentions of making some Italian bread for Pirate and Spike. I always used the kneading time to sing hymns that I sang in the choir as a kid. I have a KA and all the equipment needed for this enjoyable chore. But with this crazy leg, it is going to have to wait. Pirate is now doing all the cooking. I just may teach him how to make the bread. I will just sit in my wheelchair and talk him through it.

Fluffy buns.

Attachments

• 2018-06-11 17.23.47.jpg
    2018-06-11 17.23.47.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 2018-06-11 17.26.16.jpg
    2018-06-11 17.26.16.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 138
Made a Charlotte Russ a cassis for my husband birthday.
He did get to taste it what was left after the guest.

What size are those (regular burger or small slider)?

They look wonderfully soft and fluffy. Have you posted a recipe or link? Wish I had one now lol.

Slider size. This is the second time I've made this recipe. The first time I made hot dog/lobster roll type buns. I've got to make bread for a muffaletta later this week and I was contemplating using this recipe instead of the one I usually use. It is very soft and fluffy.

I got the recipe off another forum. I believe the person who posted it not long ago is a member here, though doesn't post much, if at all, so I'll ask if she wants to post it. If not, I will with credit.

Slider size. This is the second time I've made this recipe. The first time I made hot dog/lobster roll type buns. I've got to make bread for a muffaletta later this week and I was contemplating using this recipe instead of the one I usually use. It is very soft and fluffy.

I got the recipe off another forum. I believe the person who posted it not long ago is a member here, though doesn't post much, if at all, so I'll ask if she wants to post it. If not, I will with credit.
Thank you Med

I doctored up a Pillsbury quick bread mix, the pumpkin one. I added chopped pistachios and golden raisins. They were yummy, but I think I prefer walnuts in them a little better.

Back
Top Bottom