2018 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pirate decided to make his own Pumpkin Cheesecake today. He didn't want to wait for me to do it for him. So I stood by and answered any questions he might have had. He got a little thrown by the fact that the recipe said "for a 9 inch springform pan." Mine is 10 inches.

Right now it is in the oven and he says he will let it cool until tomorrow. We'll see how long that statement holds up.

I know what exactly it means. It is the Queens English use of the word that Americans find it very amusing. Having been married to an Englishman right off the boat, I am well versed in the difference between the two languages. And there was a post a bit back regarding the word "fag" used by the English. To have a cigarette. Something I already knew.
I assumed you knew what it meant. I doubt most Americans find it funny, though. And you don't speak for Americans - just for yourself.

When I had the GS Troop, I also volunteered (like an idiot) to hold the cupboard for the cookie sales. Spike fell in love with the Swiss Chalet. So I found a recipe with just three ingredients for the shortbread cookies. It will be his Christmas present this year. I will make the dough and keep it in the freezer until next month. I already have the chocolate and other equipment needed to make them.

Had some fantastic Honey Crisp apples so decided to make an apple pie. Omigosh, I think it's going to be wonderful.

Used this recipe and, from the aroma coming from the oven, I think it'll be a winner.

I just tested the link to the recipe and was notified that they're having "issues." If you want to search for the recipe another way, just ask for "One-Crust Apple Pie" at cookeatshare.com.

Also, have to share our apple peeler with you. It's like a toy and I almost wish I'd had more apples. It peels apples cleanly and quickly. I timed myself this time. It took right at 30 seconds to peel 4 large apples. It's also very easy to clean.

Love, love, love it and I loaned it to my younger brother a couple of years ago and he flipped. Bought him one for the following Christmas and he's as giddy as a child peeling apples.

Also, loaned it to a foodie friend who promptly bought himself one.

I should work for the company.

If you are so inclined, here's what I'm talking about.

I have gone through two all metal apple peelers over the years. I have used mine for peeling pears and even peaches. Although I wasn't too thrilled with the peaches. I also have the apple slicer that will give me 16 slices instead of the usual eight. Although it is very difficult for me to slice Granny Smith apples with it. I usually have Pirate do it for me.

For Thanksgiving I promised my daughter not only her pumpkin cheesecake, but also an apple pie. This time I got smart. No Granny Smith apples. A much easier apple to slice up. Macoun (?) apples.

Today I made the three ingredient Scottish Shortcake Cookie dough. Right now the dough is in the freezer waiting for the big day to arrive.

In the last week I've baked three loaves of bread. I did give one to neighbors as a bribe to pick our mail up when we leave for OH next month, though. I also made a small peach and blackberry pie. I used a few tips from the book "The Art of the Pie" to work the crust a little differently. Big difference in the finished product! It looks like I went overboard when it came to limiting how much liquid you mix into the flour-fat combo; the dough had been coming up too dry. I just hope I can duplicate my success over and over. I'll have to buy apples the next time I shop so I can practice some more.

Today the oven is going to start crying. An apple pie and a pumpkin cheesecake and when those are done, I will put in the oven the Yankee Pot Roast. But first I have to season and sear the meat. The veggies were prepared last night.

Then we will start the pie and cheesecake. I need to bring the crust and cheese up to room temperature first. I won't be doing all this alone. Pirate will have to help me. He will be in complete charge of the pot roast at my direction.

I baked a half-dozen jumbo pumpkin muffins from a Pillsbury mix. I always jazz up box mix muffins. As usual, I tossed in a ton of raisins and chopped walnuts. So quick and yummy!

Back
Top Bottom