2018 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
DH likes to have an afternoon cup of coffee and a cookie on the porch lately. I made mostly oatmeal-raisin during the summer and fall, but I felt like branching out.

I have some Penzeys cocoa powder, so today I tweaked a recipe for double chocolate cookies by replacing the chocolate chips with peanut butter chips and adding a teaspoon of instant espresso powder. Yum. View attachment 28580

That first batch was a little flat, so I made them again with a couple tweaks. I added a teaspoon of baking powder and creamed together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. They turned out much better :yum:
1218171930a.jpg

Shokupan

I’m working on a bread machine recipe for Japanese shokupan. If you’ve never had this lovely, pillowy, perfectly square sandwich bread, you are in for a treat! I promise to post the recipe when I’m done tweaking it.
View attachment 28835
This first loaf came out pretty well. It’s a bit salty, not quite sweet enough, and the shokupan that remember from my days in Japan was a bit denser. It’s not a failure though, by any means! And I love my new Pullman loaf pan.

Last edited:
I have made a Cocoa butter cake and used it for a trifle , a spicecake and then an almond cake served with raspberries.

Y'all are killin' me here with your wonderful looking and sounding baked goods.

Tyler and I "made" blueberry muffins the other day, but they were from a Krusteaz boxed mix. :ermm::LOL:

GG....I LOVE chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips! My mama used to make those. :wub:

I made an apple galette for Sunday supper. Forgot to take a picture. I might make another when we get home, since today's (yesterday's) version and I had a bit of a fight. I was having crust "issues" because it's been so cold and dry here. Seemed like nothing wanted to blend. Had a really hard time rolling/patting out a circle. I was afraid it would be a tough, tough crust. Nope! *whew* My patchwork crust was what my Nana would call "short" - a very tender, flaky crust. It. Was. Yummy. :yum:

Yesterday I made 2 pans of chocolate cake from my new high altitude baking cookbook, "Pie in the sky". This morning I fought my icing and think I won. I never was one to make pretty cakes, but it sure does taste great!

Attachments

• DSCN6733.jpg
    DSCN6733.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN6734.jpg
    DSCN6734.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 179
Taste is what counts, beth, so I would call it a success. At least the cake is straight. My one and only attempt at a from-scratch cake looked like it had been in an earthquake.

Apple pie because the kid is outside rolling in snow and I thought she needed something warm

Blueberry pie

After Kayelle made that delicious Quiche Lorraine for dinner, I noticed that there there was another piecrust left over. I was thinking about what to do with it, when I remembered that I had a pound of blueberries in my freezer.
Using my mathematical skills, the equation piecrust + blueberries = blueberry pie!:chef: I googled recipes and came up with one from Taste of Home:
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...-blueberry-pie

I followed the recipe, just like every engineer would, and the result is posted below. It was my first ever pie!:)

Attachments

• IMG_6307.jpg
    IMG_6307.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 177
I used some of my no-knead bread dough to make this French bread called fougasse. It's meant to be shared - people pull off pieces and every piece has a crusty outside and soft inside. Can't wait to see the crumb. I'm taking it to my book club meeting tonight.
IMG_20180124_163827_115.jpg

Made 3 large loaves of potica today. I usually make it during the holidays but other things took precedence. My grandmother used to make it all in one piece but Arthur has caused me to tailor it to my abilities.

Came out as perfect as I could've wanted. One to eat, two to put in the freezer. Yum, yum, yummers!

Back
Top Bottom