2019 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baking wings instead of frying.
400 degrees for 40min
Move tray to top and broil on hi 5 min each side.

1/2 avocado, full fat sour cream, cumin. Blend until smooth.

IMG_1699.jpg

Guess I've been yeast possessed. Made two more loaves of bread today, after having made two regular loaves and a pair of baguettes yesterday. Then baked a pie crust in anticipation of a strawberry pie tomorrow.

Not sure why I had the oven on to 400/450F when our outside temp was 94F. Guess it was a brain fart or a senior moment. Both could apply.

Do pizza pockets count as baking? I had leftover pizza, which I defaced, and then made my Grandma's pie crust recipe:

1/4 c lard
1/4 c Crisco
1-1/2 c AP flour
Italian seasonings
Tomato powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 T ice cold vinegar
4 T ice cold water

Cut the shortening with the flour, seasonings, salt, baking soda. Add the ice cold liquids. Add more flour if necessary. Knead on floured board for 3-5 minutes until it feels right. Roll out. Cut with 3-4 inch cutter (I use a beer glass). Once stuffed with approx. 1 T filling, brush edges with egg white + water, seal, brush tops with leftover egg wash. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes, flip, bake another 5 minutes or longer until golden.

SO's old girlfriend came for lunch today and SO made this gorgeous fruit tart.

There's a double crust with crushed almonds between, vanilla pudding and a that delicious glazed fruit. A slice of this with whipped cream is a great way to finish a meal.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 135
SO's old girlfriend came for lunch today and SO made this gorgeous fruit tart.

There's a double crust with crushed almonds between, vanilla pudding and a that delicious glazed fruit. A slice of this with whipped cream is a great way to finish a meal.

Nice job Andy..

Chocolate cupcakes. Trying to get Magnolia style down pat. Have the buttercream frosting down but the cake part still not there yet. Oh well guess I’m going to have to make another batch soon... :)

91cdd453644e1ceafbc06e56baf5570a.jpg

Very pretty cupcakes! I hope you put them in a display case somewhere and did to eat them. A work of art!

The same goes for that cheesecake, S&P. Nice contrast of colors!

I lost my phone, can't take pics. Yesterday I scaled a cornbread muffin recipe from 12 to 3 to serve with chili. Does that count as baking? It felt more like math class...it took more time to scale the recipe down than it did to make it. I couldn't make my usual recipe with jalapenos, cheese, and creamed corn, so I had to figure out how to still make a moist cornbread muffin that would work. My trick is I have a CI muffin pan that I put oil in each muffin section, heat that up in the oven (or, if you have a gas stove, on the stove), pour in the batter, bake for 6 minutes at 450, rotate the pan, another 6 minutes, turn the pan, final 6 minutes. Pull out and drizzle with melted butter and a bit of grated cheese.

Last edited:
I made a loaf of rye bread today - cool enough to turn the oven on, plus I wanted to make a loaf with ajowain seeds, in place of caraway. I made a brawnschweiger sandwich on it, and it was good, but not as good as caraway, IMO. It might be good added to a recipe in a smaller amount, along with the usual amount of caraway, like some breads I do with Russian caraway (nigella), adding just a tsp of it.
Test loaf of rye bread, with ajowain instead of caraway seed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ajowain rye bread, sliced. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It must be a rye bread sort of day; I baked a loaf too, pepper! It has the standard caraway seed, molasses, and yogurt for part of the liquid. I'm so glad it came out nice, too. My previous two attempts at bread failed, and I won't even start on about the pie crust. I hope my baking mojo is back up to speed.
IMG_20190915_204439794.jpg

Some more cupcakes from scratch :)

IMG_2097.jpg

I’m digging the bread. I made a chocolate babka once recently which came out awesome. I’m going to do another bread soon I think. These all look great btw. Inspiring :)

My humble choc babka :)
IMG_0840.jpg

Forgot to post these, but I made scones last weekend with dried cherries and ground mahlab. Mahlab is the pit of the black cherry called St. Lucie and is used as a baking spice in the Middle East. It has a delicious light floral and nutty flavor that goes great with stone fruit.
0910191340a.jpgIMG_20190911_151617_725.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom