2019 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bread baking seems to have gone full circle, since I started back in the 70s. My early books all had fast recipes - Instablend, Rapid Rise (from the first brand of instant yeast, which is still around today), and probably others I don't remember. I learned early on, that speed does not produce flavor in bread, and later on, the bread books were almost all advocating the slower, often two day approach, to get the best flavor in bread. Now, speed is back, and, though the approach is different (no microwaves then, at least in most kitchens!), the outcome is the same.

Don't forget, the actual time spent on the bread is about the same, even if you start it the morning before.

Bread baking seems to have gone full circle, since I started back in the 70s. My early books all had fast recipes - Instablend, Rapid Rise (from the first brand of instant yeast, which is still around today), and probably others I don't remember. I learned early on, that speed does not produce flavor in bread, and later on, the bread books were almost all advocating the slower, often two day approach, to get the best flavor in bread. Now, speed is back, and, though the approach is different (no microwaves then, at least in most kitchens!), the outcome is the same.

Don't forget, the actual time spent on the bread is about the same, even if you start it the morning before.

True true Dave!
I left my KAF recipe for No Knead dough parked in the `fridge for 4 days on the first go around and then 6 days this last loaf.
We preferred 4 day over the 6 ... dunno why, but science is a crazy thing :cool:
I decided to make a half recipe and I got two small-ish sized loafs, perfect for the two of us for supper then toast in the morning.
We had sworn off bread for a period of time, but now, Katie Bar The Door!!!
;)

...Now, speed is back, and, though the approach is different (no microwaves then, at least in most kitchens!), the outcome is the same...
Except that the microwave isn't being used to make the baking go quicker. It's a sheltered environment to keep the dough warm while it's going through the second rise. We keep out house cool during the winter - about 66 degrees during the daytime. My kitchen counter is cold! I tuck my panned bread into a pre-warmed microwave so it can incubate in a decent amount of time. Definitely easier than bringing down my "colonial" doughboy proofing box* and setting it next to a fireplace fire. Instead, I keep in in our bedroom to continue its modern job of end table.

* (similar to mine, but not exact)
181570650158.jpg

My house is cool in the winter, too, but the kitchen is always a few degrees warmer, due to the 8 pilot lights on my range! lol

I do have an electric bread proofer, but that's for sourdough, which is another topic altogether. I rarely use it, but without it, keeping those temps would be difficult.

I think she just brought a bowl of water to a boil, to create warmth and humidity, and then put the dough in to proof, with the oven off.

Exactly. I usually put the bowl of water into the microwave to "do its thing" as I shape whatever dough I'm preparing for a final rise. Those few minutes allow the microwave to become nice and warm and cozy. The dough is never baked in the microwave. It's there for the final rise. I can count on at least an hour for rise time.

As much as I love brownies, I only bake them when I'm taking them somewhere, or have others to help me eat them. Otherwise, I will know that they are in the next room, and they will be calling me...

I also like to put expresso powder in brownies, or some orange zest. And then there are those sea salt caramel brownies. Oh no...I'm going to get a craving for them...

I rarely make desserts - just some fruits, or maybe a smoothie made with fruits, esp. in the summer, when the cold is good.

Last edited:
As much as I love brownies, I only bake them when I'm taking them somewhere, or have others to help me eat them. Otherwise, I will know that they are in the next room, and they will be calling me...

I also like to put expresso powder in brownies, or some orange zest. And then there are those sea salt caramel brownies. Oh no...I'm going to get a craving for them...

I rarely make desserts - just some fruits, or maybe a smoothie made with fruits, esp. in the summer, when the cold is good.

Same here, pepper. On the rare occasion I bake sweets, more than half of it goes to family and neighbors. I keep a few for me. :)

I'm planning on making a batch of oatmeal/raisin/dried cranberry/pecan cookies within the next day or two. :yum:

Same here, pepper. On the rare occasion I bake sweets, more than half of it goes to family and neighbors. I keep a few for me. :)

I'm planning on making a batch of oatmeal/raisin/dried cranberry/pecan cookies within the next day or two. :yum:

UH, UH!!! Cheryl!!
Have you tried the Cook's Country's recipe for Oatmeal Cookies?
They're AWESOME! So much better than Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies!

UH, UH!!! Cheryl!!
Have you tried the Cook's Country's recipe for Oatmeal Cookies?
They're AWESOME! So much better than Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies!

Sorry, actually it's from America's Test Kitchen:
It's a really still dough and I had to use my hands to combine everything well, but you don't use a mixer...

ATK Oatmeal Cookie.jpg

001.jpg
002.jpg

They're nice and big and chewy and oh my, now I need to make some more cookies!! :LOL:

Sorry, actually it's from America's Test Kitchen:
It's a really still dough and I had to use my hands to combine everything well, but you don't use a mixer...

View attachment 33294

View attachment 33295
View attachment 33296

They're nice and big and chewy and oh my, now I need to make some more cookies!! :LOL:

Those look and sound delicious, kgirl! I will definitely try this recipe, and thank you for sharing it. For now, I went ahead and made up the recipe for Vanishing, as that is what my family asked for. :ermm::LOL: I use golden raisins and swap out half of them for craisins, and add some finely chopped pecans, so it's a little doctored up. They're in the oven right now, hopefully they'll be good. I know I shouldn't really doctor up a baking recipe and I'm certainly NOT a baker...but these have turned out good before so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom