2019 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday afternoon my grandson and I made a quick chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache topping. (file photo)

1591-albums817-picture6091.jpg

Shiny! Chocolate is my favorite food group, Andy. :yum:

I baked a loaf of country white bread earlier this week, and a batch of biscuits for shortcake yesterday. I added just a touch of sugar to the biscuits, so I think they'll go perfectly with tonight's stew.

I have a taste for apple pie, what with this autumn-like weather we're having today. I just don't have the oomph to make one.

Shiny! Chocolate is my favorite food group, Andy. :yum:

I baked a loaf of country white bread earlier this week, and a batch of biscuits for shortcake yesterday. I added just a touch of sugar to the biscuits, so I think they'll go perfectly with tonight's stew.

I have a taste for apple pie, what with this autumn-like weather we're having today. I just don't have the oomph to make one.

That sugar in the biscuits sounds interesting. Hmm. Now you have me thinking.

On a chocolate kick lately.. :yum:

Baked a Southern Chocolate Cobbler for two today..

Ross

Attachments

• Southern Chocolate Cobbler.jpg
    Southern Chocolate Cobbler.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Slice of chocolate goodness.jpg
    Slice of chocolate goodness.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 83
My granddaughter will be coming down to visit me at the end of this month. She has fond memories of the peanut butter cookies I used to make every year for the kids that came to my home the day after Thanksgiving. to decorate my Christmas tree.

So tomorrow I am going to make a double batch of the cookie dough, wrap and seal it real good, and place it in the freezer. Then when she comes down, she can take it home and make them herself. I will also give her the recipe.

I hesitate to use the oven too often. Because I am in my chair and there is no room for it in the front of the oven when the door is open, I have to do every thing from the side. If I do it standing, then I have to hold on to something with one hand, while I work with the other one.

I have turned the shelf around so that the part that goes up in the back, is now in the front. That way should I drop anything, it won't fall on me. But the few times I have used the oven, that little trick has not served me well. So I guess I will have to put it right again, and learn, learn, and more learning on how to be safe in the kitchen.

This learning to do chores in a chair, that I used to do without any thought on my two feet, is hard work. But right now it is making me more determined. But I will only do it when Spike is here with me.

Today I made another batch of rye bread - a favorite recipe that I have been making since the 70s, that has potatoes and some cooked cornmeal, in addition to the dark rye and WW flours. It's called Dark Pumpernickel, but not because it is dark, but because all of the flours are dark (whole grain).
Potato rye by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Being on SS, there was no way I could afford to buy a large spray of flowers for Scott. So my SIL stepped in and bought a huge spray of flowers that said "To son from Mom." I was still in shock. My first thought was "Who the hell is calling themselves the mother to my son?" I was getting real angry. My daughter had to calm me down and explain that it was her husband had ordered them. "He's not the mother of Scott." She took me outback of the building and patiently calmed me down and went into minute detail of the flowers. They were extremely expensive. Another grateful shock to me.

So early in the morning, I will get out all the ingredients for the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Cake for my son-in-law as a Thank You. I make one every Christmas as my present to him. Every one else gets cookies. It will be a three layer cake with cream cheese chocolate frosting. This man has a HUGE sweet tooth. He can't see even a piece of candy without drooling. I have never seen anyone like him. If he sees you eating something sweet, he will even ask you for some. He is addicted to the sugar it would seem.

Yesterday afternoon my grandson and I made a quick chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache topping. (file photo)

1591-albums817-picture6091.jpg

I need to ask Spike about how I can take pictures with my phone camera and then upload them to the computer. I have never felt the need to learn how to do a lot of things with my phone except to add names along with a couple of stupid time consuming games. Time to come into today's world.

I baked a batch of muffins from a magazine recipe I've had for decades, "Aunt Maude's 5-Star Blueberry Muffins". It calls for 1 3/4 cups of AP flour. I currently have an abundance of both white whole wheat and cake flours, so I made my own AP flour - kinda. 1 cup of cake flour and 3/4 cup white whole wheat. They look good! I'll find out how they taste when they cool.
IMG_20190619_183030209_HDR.jpg

A question.. ;)

I put together a chocolate pie this morning...

I pressed a pie crust into a pie tin, put it into my T.O. until browned.. (baked?)

I made a stove top filling, put it into the cooled pie crust and placed it into the fridge to set..

OK... Did I "bake" or "make" a pie.. :ermm:

Ross

I finally got around to using the new loaf pan I bought last month. I made a loaf of white whole wheat bread earlier this week; it made a guest appearance in tonight's dinner thread in our BLT sandwiches.

I really like Banana Nut Bread and was watching this on YouTube
and felt that I needed to make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXAuzS8V9AY

My variation was using Sour Cream and Pecans

DSC01203.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01208.jpg

The batter filled the loaf pan more than 2/3 full,
so I scooped out 3 Jumbo Muffins worth and
it seemed to work out that way.
Personally, I think that's the best Banana Nut bread
I've ever made and I don't really like Bananas.
Come to find out, DH does not care for Banana Bread at all!
Miss Neighbor-Across-The-Street got a nice treat
:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom