"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

I baked a loaf of our favorite white sandwich yesterday. I'm testing some yeast that I found stored in the basement. Although the sealed bag was past "use by" date (and with yeast, unlike canned veggies, that date does mean something), I want to find out if it needs replacing. It took a little more time to bloom when I did an "is it alive???" test, but it did get foamy. The bread turned out OK, but took forever to rise. I think I'll try another loaf today, but throw in an extra half-teaspoon of yeast "for the pot" and find out if it helps. I'll be back to report sometime, as long as we don't end up with "the yeast that devoured CG". Yikes!

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #82
Sous Chef

So what is your favorite white sandwich bread, CG? Funny you should mention that, because last night I was thinking about how long it had been since I made my white sandwich breads. My two favorite recipes were a pain de mie, with a whole stick of butter in it, and a buttermilk white, with 3 tb butter in it (if I remember correctly!). Both of these were the best breads for making grilled cheese sandwiches, which is why I started thinking about them.

I might have to make one of these, using that artisan bread flour - I never made either of these, since I got that flour - just dinner breads.

As for that yeast, I replace mine yearly, or close to it, and towards the end, I notice that it slows down, for sure. There is usually not much I throw out, given the fact that I use so much! And as I start to use the new, it speeds up, to the point that I use a little less, in the beginning.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

pepper, it's a recipe from the book that came with my bread machine. It's a standard, one loaf recipe since I have a smaller machine. I use the machine on its "dough" setting and finish off in a bread pan. The ingredients list is:

6-8 ounces warm (110-115 degrees) milk
1 tsp salt
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 Tbsp softened butter
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 3/4 tsp active dry yeast

This "new" bag of yeast is "saf-instant" yeast that I bought in Amish country obviously a few years ago. Had I checked inventory before our holiday trip, I could have picked up a fresh bag in January. I got the instant since it can be tossed right into the machine rather than needing to be proofed first. Anyway, the Red Star website says to use 1/2 teaspoon per 1 cup of flour. This next loaf will be made with the extra 1/2 tsp.

This loaf is good for grilled cheese, BLTs, and meatloaf sammies. Making meatloaf tonight...

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Old 03-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #84
Certified Pretend Chef

I baked a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies this afternoon. They are one of my very favorite cookies. Check out the Quaker Oats Vanishing Oatmeal cookies recipe, can't be beat!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:44 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been hanging on to a Midwest Living recipe for multi-grain blueberry muffins since 2009. Decided to make a batch on Thursday. I can report that there is no longer a need to hang on to that recipe.

They're edible, but only because I refuse to toss food.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:49 PM   #86
Certified Pretend Chef

Made a cast iron skillet corn bread. Didn't think to take the photo before it took it out of the pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_5534.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	33952  
Old 03-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #87
Assistant Cook

I always cook a Quiche someday of the week for the dinner with onion, cheese and leeks. Sometimes with tomatoes insted of leeks.

It tastes very good and a little crunchy in the sides. :)
Sandrii93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

A few years back, a friend and I did an old-fashioned New England "swop". He had broken one of his Irish cut glass brandy snifters. I had bought two just like it years earlier on eBay; I rarely used them. In exchange for my snifters, he gave me a bottle of their homemade red wine and a quart of homemade tomato sauce. Himself and I shared the wine a few years ago with my SIL and her hubby when they were over for dinner - it was good. I recently used the sauce for a pasta dinner - it was really delicious. I felt a special "thank you" was due to my friend. My plan was to fill the canning jar with homemade scones. I should have measured instead of eyeball the size. My big scones don't fit through the opening! I should have used my small scone pan instead. Well, they look nice in a gift bag.

Two different batches of scones. The upper left is a basic cream scone with pieces of dried cherries. The lower right is orange-mini chocolate chips ( our favorite).

Name:	IMG_20190405_214937745_HDR.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	34309

Old 04-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #89
Master Chef

I'm obsessed with sourdough right now. This is a loaf of sandwich bread and a batch of whole wheat hamburger buns.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN9018.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	34310  
Old 04-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #90
Executive Chef

Chocolate babka two ways

The dough recipe I had was for two loaves, so instead of making two identical loaves, I made one according to the recipe, and one pinwheel babka, which I kind of invented as I baked.

Name:	6C1E9720-0922-48C5-8EFF-7D08C7D8BACA.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	34311

Name:	E1315C00-09BC-4958-887E-4AA91CF5061D.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	34312

I was actually pleased with the results, but the dough is so loaded with butter that itís a PITA to work at all; I nearly gave up. After a night in the fridge, though, it was actually not too difficult to form the loaves.

As you can see, this is NOT the dessert for you if you 1. Hate or are sensitive to chocolate, if youíre restricting your sugar intake, or if you hate messsy foods!

Tags
baking