2019 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I made so garlic toasts for my bruschetta and tapenade to sit on.

Homemade bagel & Jalapeno jelly.

39817-albums888-picture7737.jpg
[/IMG]

Jalapeno Jelly Recipe
Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 5 (8 oz) half pints Eliminate the juice-making step and still produce a translucent
jelly? This unique recipe does! Flecked with tiny bits of peppers, this zesty jalapeno jelly adds a
jewel-like flair to cheese trays. Spread it on a block of warmed cream cheese and serve with
crackers.
You Will Need
12 oz jalapeño peppers (about 12 med)
2 cups cider vinegar, divided
6 cups sugar
2 3-oz pouches of þÿBall® RealFruit!" Liquid Pectin
Green food coloring, optional
5 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
Optional: Ball® freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner + Multicooker
Directions
PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash
lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
PURÉE peppers in food processor or blender with 1 cup cider vinegar until smooth. Do not strain
purée.
COMBINE purée with remaining 1 cup cider vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil
10 minutes, stirring frequently.
ADD Ball® RealFruitþÿ!" Liquid Pectin, immediately squeezing entire contents from pouches.
Continue to boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add food coloring, if
using, and skim foam if necessary.
LADLE hot jalapeno jelly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar.
Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool.
Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and

Jalapeno Jelly Recipe
Makes about 5 (8 oz) half pints Eliminate the juice-making step and still produce a translucent
jelly? This unique recipe does! Flecked with tiny bits of peppers, this zesty jalapeno jelly adds a
jewel-like flair to cheese trays. Spread it on a block of warmed cream cheese and serve with
crackers.
You Will Need
6 cups sugar
2 3-oz pouches of þÿBall® RealFruit!" Liquid Pectin
5 Ball® (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
Optional: Ball® freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner + Multicooker
Directions
PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash
PURÉE peppers in food processor or blender with 1 cup cider vinegar until smooth. Do not strain
purée.
COMBINE purée with remaining 1 cup cider vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil
ADD Ball® RealFruitþÿ!" Liquid Pectin, immediately squeezing entire contents from pouches.
Continue to boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add food coloring, if
LADLE hot jalapeno jelly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar.
PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool.
Thank you for the recipe.

Jalapeno Jelly Recipe
crackers.
You Will Need
6 cups sugar
2 3-oz pouches of þÿBall[emoji768] RealFruit!" Liquid Pectin
5 Ball[emoji768] (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
Optional: Ball[emoji768] freshTECH Electric Water Bath Canner + Multicooker
Directions
purée.
ADD Ball[emoji768] RealFruitþÿ!" Liquid Pectin, immediately squeezing entire contents from pouches.
Would be great to post this in the Preserves forum, so it doesn't get lost.

Yesterday I baked a batch of Chocolate Chip Coconut Macaroons - sis requested some because she is in rehab (and not eating well, I assume!), so I took her some (ate a couple myself, too!). This is one of my favorites, as well as her's - not only the chocolate chips, but a layer of chocolate is spread on the bottoms of the macaroons, then they are cooled on waxed paper, and peeled off, when totally cooled. As with brownies, I only make these for somebody else, as I have no willpower resisting them!
CC coconut macaroons by pepperhead212, on Flickr

View attachment 33155

View attachment 33156

View attachment 33157

No Knead White Bread
I haven't made this is a LONG time
and saw a blast from KAF that this was
their most requested recipe (or something of the sort)
for 2018.

Made a half recipe, enough for 2 small-ish loaves,
this one is straight up, no embellishments, 4 four
days sitting in the `fridge, fermenting :yum:

Tomorrow I'll bake off the second loaf with an
add-in of Roasted Garlic Cloves, now THAT
should be really good.

We have been on sorta of a diet I guess you'd
say, low carb-fat-sugar, no alcohol :ohmy:
getting bikini season ready :ermm::huh::LOL:
No really!

View attachment 33155

View attachment 33156

View attachment 33157

No Knead White Bread
I haven't made this is a LONG time
and saw a blast from KAF that this was
their most requested recipe (or something of the sort)
for 2018.

Made a half recipe, enough for 2 small-ish loaves,
this one is straight up, no embellishments, 4 four
days sitting in the `fridge, fermenting :yum:

Tomorrow I'll bake off the second loaf with an
add-in of Roasted Garlic Cloves, now THAT
should be really good.

We have been on sorta of a diet I guess you'd
say, low carb-fat-sugar, no alcohol :ohmy:
getting bikini season ready :ermm::huh::LOL:
No really!

Try again:

DSC00845.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

I made some bread today - good day for baking, since it was a cold, dreary day. It was a Potato Rye, with some ground golden flax seeds in it, and I made it with some whey I had from making some Greek yogurt, so that gave it some tang. Not a two or three day bread - just a simple two rise bread, with almost all whole grain (the last cup of flour added to the bowl while "kneading" is bread flour, just so it doesn't get too dry). I also added a tb of nigella seeds, along with all those 2 tb of caraway seeds, so it's loaded with seeds! I got two 32 oz and one 26 oz loaf from this dough. One is going to a friend, and one in the freezer (this I'll do, even when trying to empty the freezer, as it won't stay in there long).

Dough, finished kneading:
IMG_20190119_153234187 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dough back in bowl, ready to rise:
IMG_20190119_155131547 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dough, finished first rise:
IMG_20190119_183618533 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Loaves, ready for second rise:
IMG_20190119_184405829 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Loaves ready for baking:
IMG_20190119_195606426 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pans removed from oven:
IMG_20190119_205309437 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Loaves cooling:
IMG_20190119_205500109 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Funny thing about this - as usual, the smell permeated the entire house, and I smell it up here in my computer room, but it smells like I baked something like a sweet bread or cake, not a rye bread! Maybe wishful thinking?

Last edited:
I love cooking it rarely make desserts or cakes. My daughter is a very good baker.and cook. I havnt made a dessert in months and months.i made 2 in the weekend, first called for 5 yolks so I kept the whites and made a pav. Waste not want not. Both were beautiful.

Russ

Saw a recipe yesterday for 90 Minute Man Bread and gave it a try this morning. Wow, wow, wow! Easy peasy and, of course, I streamlined it.

Used the ingredients just as called for but, instead of using my KitchenAid with dough hook, I put everything into the bread machine and set it to DOUGH. Only let it rise for 30 minutes in the machine as the recipe directed. Shaped it into a ball, pretty large one as it turned out.

Then before putting it on a piece of parchment and putting it into the microwave for its final rise, I put a cereal bowl of water and heated it on HIGH for 4 minutes, which turned the "proofing" environment into a warm and moist place.

Followed the recipe the rest of the way, placing the risen loaf onto a pizza stone and baked it. Beautiful!

Gonna make another one tomorrow because this one isn't going to last long.

Saw a recipe yesterday for 90 Minute Man Bread and gave it a try this morning. Wow, wow, wow! Easy peasy and, of course, I streamlined it.

Used the ingredients just as called for but, instead of using my KitchenAid with dough hook, I put everything into the bread machine and set it to DOUGH. Only let it rise for 30 minutes in the machine as the recipe directed. Shaped it into a ball, pretty large one as it turned out.

Then before putting it on a piece of parchment and putting it into the microwave for its final rise, I put a cereal bowl of water and heated it on HIGH for 4 minutes, which turned the "proofing" environment into a warm and moist place.

Followed the recipe the rest of the way, placing the risen loaf onto a pizza stone and baked it. Beautiful!

Gonna make another one tomorrow because this one isn't going to last long.
How did you do the microwave proofing (time, power level)?

I think she just brought a bowl of water to a boil, to create warmth and humidity, and then put the dough in to proof, with the oven off.
Oh ok. I usually put a steaming hot pan of water on the bottom rack of oven then place dough on top rack to proof/rise.

Pepper you make me envious, I can't bake bread. Last 4 times epic failure. What's the skippy product on your shelf?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom