26 August Saturday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
It's after 5pm already and no one has started dinner yet?????:ohmy:

I'm making a mango soup for first course.

Then, courtesy of Emeril's NOLA restaurant (It was the first restaurant Lou and I went to the first time we went to New Orleans) I'm making roated garlic mashed potatoes, with a saga bleu stuffed portebello set atop, and then that will be topped with filet mignon, rare, of course.

I made two huge pans of baklava, so we'll be having that for dessert.

We ended up having bourbon sidecars last night, so I'm sure we'll be doing the sazeracs tonight.

It's cool and breezy here tonight, so we'll be headed out to the hot tub by midnight, for sure.:innocent::whistling:brows:

I baked zucchini bread all day so dinner will probably be something from the freezer later on ...

Since I'm the only one here [besides 4 dogs] I think it'll be a ham sandwich and pretzels.

Probably just some leftovers, or pull something from the freezer since I dont feel like cooking a huge meal tonight.

have ben getting things ready for tomorrow's sunday dinner, so tonight since we irrigate, it will be an easy night:LOL: I picked up several lbs. of shrimp which I've cooked and peeled and made some lime mayo to dunk them in, sliced up some cantaloupe, fixed some parmesan garlic bread, made mango ice tea, I just cooked some angel hair pasta and and going to toss it with brown butter and mizithra cheese. Since I made two strudels for tomorrow, if anyone wants dessert, it's popcicles or vanilla ice cream...

kadesma:LOL:

I made the slow cooker BBQ ribs that Robin Miller make on her food network show this morning, some slaw, twice baked stuffed potatoes and Spoon Rolls from Prairie Home Bread's Cookbook.

We ordered pizza in and had watermelon for dessert. :)

BJ, a ham sandwich sounds really good...with mayo and crispy lettuce.

Last edited:
vb, you might want to set one of those pans of baklava out on the window sill to cool.

yoink!, he he he.

btw, if you wanna try an amazing midlle eastern/greek-ish dessert, go to the parkway diner in elmwood park on 46 east. order a piece of something caled kataifa ekmek. you'll thank me (hopefully with some baklava).

for dinner tonight: since i had to work 8p last night until noon today, then i'm back in at 8pm tonight, i didn't get a chance to make anything. i inhaled some leftover arroz con pollo for lunch, and now i'm back at work. probably gonna run and get some cheap thai food, or maybe french. haven't decided yet.

I got up a 5:30 a.m. to make a layered bean dip to take to an BBQ in the afternoon. At 9:30 a.m. I met I bunch of friends for a round of miniature golf. Then we went to the park/pond to BBQ and swim. It was lots of fun. One of the group bought a bocce ball set, so we played a few games of that. For food we had tri-tip, macaroni salad, green salad, potato salad, pasta salad, baked beans, a bowl of concord grapes, my layered bean dip with tortilla chips, berry cobbler, and chocolate cupcakes. I think a good time was had by all and I am still stuffed from all the food.

We had lunch out so bought some lovely white peaches walking home to have for supper. We bought them while we were still and wadling through Milan like a pair of stuffed peguins, so needless to say by supper time we were feeling less penguine-ish and more piggy. My husband had a bowl of gnocchi and fresh pesto then after the peaches we noshed togather a shared glass of vin santo and a handful of biscotti while watching a video.

We are having a picky fridge day today...we move back into a hotel on Friday so we have to empty the fridge!

It was so hot & humid here yesterday (96 in the shade), that by the end of day I was completely knackered. So, husband picked up a "Romano Ranch" pizza from one of our local Italian places. It's one of my favorites - a base of grated parmesan & romano cheeses mixed with a little ranch dressing & then more than generously topped with paper-thin slices of fresh tomato, cooked spinach, & sauteed mushrooms.

buckytom said:
vb, you might want to set one of those pans of baklava out on the window sill to cool.

yoink!, he he he.

btw, if you wanna try an amazing midlle eastern/greek-ish dessert, go to the parkway diner in elmwood park on 46 east. order a piece of something caled kataifa ekmek. you'll thank me (hopefully with some baklava).

for dinner tonight: since i had to work 8p last night until noon today, then i'm back in at 8pm tonight, i didn't get a chance to make anything. i inhaled some leftover arroz con pollo for lunch, and now i'm back at work. probably gonna run and get some cheap thai food, or maybe french. haven't decided yet.

You want some baklava, huh? You will have to fight my daughter for it. I made it especially for her. She is leaving for college tomorrow morning.... She is pretty tough for a 17 year old. See, she is a scorpio, and even I am in awe of her temper at times, hahha. Thank you for the tip of the strange sounding greek food thing. Care to tell me what it actually is???:wacko:

corazon90 said:
I had a salami and cream cheese sandwich.

And here I thought I was the only one who liked that combination:shock: What kid of salami do you prefer? My mother used to make it for me when I was a kid using cooked salami. I prefer it with genoa now. Ever have it on pumpernickle bread??

vb, kataifa ekmek is a custard dessert.

it's a bed of a loose shredded wheat that's soaked in simple syrup or honey, then it's topped with a layer of custard, than another layer of whipped cream, then slivered almonds.
it's worth the stop.

hmmm, a 17 y.o. girl? i'd probably fold faster than superman on wash day.
i wasn't any good with them when i was 17 or 18. i doubt i'd be any better now...

buckytom said:
vb, kataifa ekmek is a custard dessert.

it's a bed of a loose shredded wheat that's soaked in simple syrup or honey, then it's topped with a layer of custard, than another layer of whipped cream, then slivered almonds.
it's worth the stop.

hmmm, a 17 y.o. girl? i'd probably fold faster than superman on wash day.
i wasn't any good with them when i was 17 or 18. i doubt i'd be any better now...
Bucky,
sorry to break in on your conversation with VB..Just wanted to let you know we made your chicken recipe today..It was really good..There isn't one piece of chicken left:pig: Thanks again Bucky..This one was a keeper.

kadesma:)

no prob, thanks for letting me know kads. umm, which chicken recipe was that?
i've posted 2 recently:the limey-thymey chicken piccata, or the honey-balsamic basted herbs/lime stuffed roasted chicken?

also, what tweaks did you make? i'm always interested in improving...

buckytom said:
no prob, thanks for letting me know kads. umm, which chicken recipe was that?
i've posted 2 recently:the limey-thymey chicken piccata, or the honey-balsamic basted herbs/lime stuffed roasted chicken?

also, what tweaks did you make? i'm always interested in improving...
Bucky,
I made the limey thymey chicken strips..The only thing I did different was to use fresh parsley and I also added sliced sauteed mushrooms at the end after I got the sauce reduced..I made 9 sliced up chicken breasts, thinking I'd have some for lunch tomorrow..NOPE, they did the whole thing in.:LOL:

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom