3/1/2019 - National Pig Day Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We will be sparing the noble pig today.

A Black Angus steer was sacrificed to the gods to ensure our table was bountiful on this day. I will be sous viding a couple of NY strips to go with baked potatoes and steamed broccoli.

Since the majority of the residents in this building are either Irish or Italian, and St. Patrick's Day is coming upon us, I do think the pig is going to be safe in this building. Corned beef for the holiday. Being neither Irish or Italian, I guess I will have to feast on corn for the holiday. That or buffalo meat.

It will be Grilled Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken Salad or Meatloaf. I will decide later.

Having the pork quesadillas we were supposed to have last night but decided on snacking instead.. Jeannie is making them as I check DC..

Lemon cake for dessert..

Ross

Plans may change. DD & hub may want Chinese or pizza. If Chinese I will get Pork egg foo young & pork fried rice.

Chinese - Pork egg foo young, pork egg roll & pork fried rice.

Chinese - Pork egg foo young, pork egg roll & pork fried rice.
You're going all out for Pig Day! :wub:

No pig here. I made a Turkish onion soup last night - it has lots of sumac and lamb meatballs. So delicious! This is my new favorite onion soup [emoji39] So we're having leftover soup with salad and homemade bread.

You're going all out for Pig Day! :wub:

No pig here. I made a Turkish onion soup last night - it has lots of sumac and lamb meatballs. So delicious! This is my new favorite onion soup [emoji39] So we're having leftover soup with salad and homemade bread.

I'd love to hear more about that recipe GG.:chef:

We will be sparing the noble pig today.

A Black Angus steer was sacrificed to the gods to ensure our table was bountiful on this day. I will be sous viding a couple of NY strips to go with baked potatoes and steamed broccoli.

The gods must have smiled upon our steer because it was one of the best steaks I've ever had.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5510.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_5510.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 121
That looks REALLY good, Andy! :yum:

I had piggy parts earlier today, before I knew it was Nat'l Pig Day. My brother took me out for brunch and I had several bacon strips with my omelet. :)

Dinner was easy - doctored up Progresso tomato soup with basil and shredded parm, garlic bread, assorted cheeses, and fruit.

Lack of spoons again, so we ordered from Mr. Falafel. DH had the chicken platter (shish taouk) and I had a falafel platter. Yummy. I just wish they would give us the other type of pickled peppers. These ones weren't very salty, but they had a bitter flavour. I recognize that bitter flavour. It's usually sodium bisulfate or sodium bisulfite, preservatives. I'm not criticizing the use of preservatives, just the unpleasantness of their flavour.

I had bacon on my hamburger for lunch. I also bought Chinese BBQ pork earlier today at the store and I may have a small slice of that for supper tonight.

Attachments

• P3010007[1].jpg
    P3010007[1].jpg
    63 KB · Views: 135
The made to order CJ pork loin turned out perfect in the oven at 500 degrees to a perfect 145 internal degrees, and the Bahn Mi sandwiches had us groaning... that's pretty exciting at our age. :wub:

:LOL:
That looks delicious, Kay. I think I may have saved that Chef John recipe you posted before....but saved it again, just in case.

Wow, does that ever look and sound good. Did you have to smoosh the sandwich down to eat it, though?

Last edited:
Nice looking meals, Andy and Kayelle.

I ran a bunch of errands today - including a grocery store stop. Lordy, someone used the "s" word on TV. :ohmy: The store was crowded as if Armageddon was imminent. In reality, we might get 3-6 inches of snow overnight. :LOL: I knew I wouldn't feel much like cooking by the time I got home, and I needed something else to fill out what little of the beef barley soup was left. Went old-school, pre "eat healthy" tonight and made fried bologna sandwiches on toasted rye bread. I did add a generous amount of sliced tomato and lettuce, so it wasn't a complete nutritional wasteland.

CG, Maybe it being the first of the month had something to do with it, in addition to the snow threat! And actually, it's the first and third of the month, since Sunday is the third. I see this, especially when I drive by the Walmart near me - looks like a holiday shopping day, with people waiting for parking places. Are all of these people really that near to having no food in the houses?

The reason I refuse to shop on those days.

I had a late night braunschweiger sandwich, on that fresh loaf of Russian black bread that I baked. I could not hold off...

The cashier did mention that it was a combination of snow AND it being the 1st, pepper. I just shop when I shop, unless the little one-off store in the next town has a really good "Wacky Wednesday" deal that has me shopping on a Wednesday.

It's amazing up here when the word "snow" is included in a weather report. People really do go out to get milk and bread and eggs. I always have those things, but I will make a special run to the store if I'm low on wine. Priorities, you know. ;) And don't even get me started on why some people who are native to New England have no concept as to how to drive in the snow...

Back
Top Bottom