3/23/2017 National Puppy Day - What's in your bowl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Totally stumped--we've had salmon, chicken, and pasta this week already, don't know what to make today for The Elders. Dad had a whole lot of dental work yesterday so he is supposed to eat soft foods. Mom doesn't handle soup well or stew, smoked pork hocks for pea soup, but what to make, what to make...no clue. Thinking maybe enchiladas....with a cheese sauce for Mom, tomato for Dad. Egads, what to make, what to make. Got asparagus, green peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion. Greek yogurt, lemons. Lots and lots of stuff in the freezer and pantry.

Jeannie has "lunch with the girls" day so, I'll throw together a chili dog for me.. We will share the last of yesterdays cake in the evening...

3/23/2017 National Puppy Day

Puppies!

DH picked up some asparagus, will whip up some Knorr hollandaise. Hm, just looked, guess it will be Knorr Bernaise, no hollandaise. Grabbed some ham from the freezer. DH also brought home some romaine. I looked at it and thought, it's spoiled. It was all kind of black at the ends. Then I read the label on the bag , red leaf romaine. Oh, that explains it.

Last edited:
I know for sure we won't be having Puppy Chow. :ermm: :LOL:

It's leftovers. There is enough meatloaf left for one large or two small sandwiches, a serving of the scallops/bacon/B. sprouts dish, and about a quart of each of last night's soups. We'll rummage after we make a pilgrimage to Lowe's (and BBandB if I'm lucky) later on today.

Tacos are planned for tonight.
I'm also planning on making some strawberry compote.

Our children's dentist would send us as parents to the store immediately after the dental work on the kiddos. Buy, mashed potatoes, or potatoes to cook, canned gravy or make some, yogurt in many flavors and ice cream. So, we would. My kids loved going to the dentist. I wish I did.

Chicken broth is good, as is warmed up tomato juice with a little butter and crackers.

I'm having brussel sprouts, chicken off the bone with a little hot sauce and butter.

Our children's dentist would send us as parents to the store immediately after the dental work on the kiddos. Buy, mashed potatoes, or potatoes to cook, canned gravy or make some, yogurt in many flavors and ice cream. So, we would. My kids loved going to the dentist. I wish I did.

Chicken broth is good, as is warmed up tomato juice with a little butter and crackers.

I'm having brussel sprouts, chicken off the bone with a little hot sauce and butter.
My Dad's teeth are killing him--I inherited those lousy teeth. He is having meatloaf tonight.

CWS, meatloaf is a good soft food. Added ketchup or bbq sauce or even a white sauce or cheese or cheese sauce, to give it some variety.

I think it might be difficult to find ways to get variety and nutrition into vulnerable adults.

My parents had bad teeth, I have inherited some of that too. I've read that the nutrition of the mother determines the health and hardness of the children's teeth. My parents were brought up during the depression, so nutrition was not happening, survival was happening. Eggs from the backyard chickens, milk and flour and cheese as subsidies. As our generation had a little more nutrition, we also gave height to our kids. The next generation should continue to have better teeth and grow taller as well.

It's been a bit chilly today, so I'm making scalloped ham and potatoes with garden peas from the freezer. I'll serve a simple salad alongside.

Tacos are planned for tonight.
I'm also planning on making some strawberry compote.
The strawberry compote turned out wonderful.

Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Fresh Strawberry Compote

img_1503854_0_e49c5fb0ed30bbfc5933a56e5fe4c928.jpg

Beautiful afternoon for grilling - a little breezy but not too bad. I just fired up the Weber and am fixin' to grill some chicken thighs and asparagus.

Gorgeous, msmofet. I'm going to make this :yum:
Thank you GG. Let me know what you think. So quick and easy. The hard part is waiting for it to chill. LOL Now I need to make bread or biscuits or pancakes or cornbread or ........ OH MY!

OOOOH I gotta get some rhubarb. YUM

Last edited:
As our generation had a little more nutrition, we also gave height to our kids. The next generation should continue to have better teeth and grow taller as well.

Not if we keep feeding them fast foods and processed meals.

CD

I'm thinking breakfast for dinner tonight. A pork roll, egg and cheese sammich, and some tater tots.

CD

Not if we keep feeding them fast foods and processed meals.

CD
While I was married with kids I made our food from scratch, grew our gardens, canned our food, didn't spend money unnecessarily, so we didn't eat fast or processed food, one of the kids was adhd so we didn't want to have additives. Then after the divorce I did the same thing even more so. Now I'm milling our own wheat, still make everything from ingredients, now making our own cheese, we aren't eating fast food and processed foods. So while some people will do that, others make other choices. I don't think you can actually group everyone into one category. Society in general, eating more processed and fast foods, yes possibly, everyone, we, no. It just depends on whether you want to be a consumer of the current marketing systems or if you turn it all off. We just turn most of it off.

My kids are turning out the same as I am. Now that they spend their own money they are very selective on how they spend it. They all cook and I doubt that will ever change for them.

While I was married with kids I made our food from scratch, grew our gardens, canned our food, didn't spend money unnecessarily, so we didn't eat fast or processed food, one of the kids was adhd so we didn't want to have additives. Then after the divorce I did the same thing even more so. Now I'm milling our own wheat, still make everything from ingredients, now making our own cheese, we aren't eating fast food and processed foods. So while some people will do that, others make other choices. I don't think you can actually group everyone into one category. Society in general, eating more processed and fast foods, yes possibly, everyone, we, no. It just depends on whether you want to be a consumer of the current marketing systems or if you turn it all off. We just turn most of it off.

My kids are turning out the same as I am. Now that they spend their own money they are very selective on how they spend it. They all cook and I doubt that will ever change for them.

Yes, there are people who still cook, and people who are "seeing the light" and returning to home cooking. People like Emeril, Jaime Oliver and Rachael Ray are doing a lot to promote home cooking. Jaime Oliver, in particular, is passionate about getting people to cook whole foods, instead of processed foods.

But, here in the Dallas burbs, Restaurants, take out and "meals in a box" are still way to prevalent.

Sorry about the off-topic ranting. :angel:

CD

Back
Top Bottom