3/25/2019 - Aretha Franklin's Birthday Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Today we remember Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, who would have been 77 years old today. She passed away this past August.

The sun is shining, it's in the low 40's, almost all of the snow is gone, I got out on my bike, and I'm feeling tropical. Tonight's dinner will be huli huli chicken, grilled pineapple, and coconut lime basmati rice.

I have a condo board annual meeting to attend. SO and I will grab whatever for dinner tonight.

I've got a couple of country style pork ribs slow roasting in the oven. I think I'll throw a few baby red potatoes in the roasting dish when the ribs are close to done, and steam some broccoli and carrots for sides.

I loved Aretha since the 60's.. Wonderful woman..

Cold day so I adapted a stove top Green Chili Chicken Stew recipe to my Instant Pot.. I added pinto beans because.. beans.. ;)
Turned out really good.. I think that Rachel Ray would call it a "stoup"..
Served with sour cream and toasted garlic ciabatta rolls..

Ice cream for later..

Ross

Attachments

• Green Chili Chicken Stew.jpg
    Green Chili Chicken Stew.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 178
cream of asparagus, crab and potato soup with homemade croissants from the freezer.

Attachments

• 2019-03-25 18.26.42.jpg
    2019-03-25 18.26.42.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 136
Today we remember Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul, who would have been 77 years old today. She passed away this past August.

The sun is shining, it's in the low 40's, almost all of the snow is gone, I got out on my bike, and I'm feeling tropical. Tonight's dinner will be huli huli chicken, grilled pineapple, and coconut lime basmati rice.

Tenspeed could you share your recipe?
I just made my very first Huli Sauce/Marinade last Saturday,
thanks to GG!!

DSC06853.JPG
[file photo]

We've got a high today of 72° and I want to stay outside
as long as I can, so I'm grilled some Steak & Veg

Chinese delivery. I had vegetable and bean curd soup & pork fried rice.

Tenspeed could you share your recipe?
I just made my very first Huli Sauce/Marinade last Saturday,
thanks to GG!!
I used the recipe that GG posted. Umm, are you asking a New Englander how to make Huli chicken? :)

Chicken was good, but the grilled pineapple (included in the recipe) was way too sweet. I think that I'll just grill the pineapple next time.

I used the recipe that GG posted. Umm, are you asking a New Englander how to make Huli chicken? [emoji2]

Chicken was good, but the grilled pineapple (included in the recipe) was way too sweet. I think that I'll just grill the pineapple next time.
I'm glad you liked it. After some discussion here a few years ago about Tajin - the Mexican lime-chile-salt seasoning - I tried it on grilled pineapple and it's delicious. If you can find it, give it a try.

We had leftover stuffed shells. I also dug a couple of Italian sausage from the freezer and sauteed them with an onion and tired looking bell peppers from the veggie drawer.
IMG_20190325_214027371_HDR.jpg

I have a condo board annual meeting to attend. SO and I will grab whatever for dinner tonight.

Ah, so you will be spending 3 hours in a meeting that will accomplish what could have been accomplished in 20 minutes. :rolleyes::mrgreen:

Between the weather and other distractions, I was not able to sous vide and sear my big ribeye steak last night. So, it is in the water bath now, and I'm going to sear it over a charcoal chimney half full of red hot charcoal.

Aretha singing at the Kennedy center honoring Carole King (who wrote the song)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cF0tf35Mbo

CD

LOVED that video, Casey! I've been a huge fan of Carole King for decades...saw her in concert twice. She's a fabulous singer, but not known as much for her songwriting behind the scenes. She's amazing.

I had roast chicken with sweet tatters carrots peas and silver beet. With gravy. Was very nice after a hard days work.

Russ

I'm glad you liked it. After some discussion here a few years ago about Tajin - the Mexican lime-chile-salt seasoning - I tried it on grilled pineapple and it's delicious. If you can find it, give it a try.
I couldn't find it in stores around here. I just checked Amazon, and they have it as an add on item, so I added it to my list to include then next time I need to order something. I have a listing of some inexpensive items to add to orders to get the total up to $25 for free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom