4/23/18 Nat'l Picnic Day~What's Going On Your Picnic Table

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spent part of the afternoon cleaning the grill, burners, lid and shelves from winter's grime and a year of use.

I'll be grilling country-style pork ribs and making mashed potatoes and a veggie to go along with them.

I'm going to sort of an indoor picnic tonight. A local gourmet shop teams up with a local chef each month for a dinner and wine event, hosted by a friend of mine, our local food writer and broadcaster. This month's theme is Fresh From the Farm - the chef will demonstrate and talk about making dishes with farmers market ingredients and the shop provides wine pairings. A friend and I have been going to a lot of these over the last few years and it's lots of fun [emoji2]

DH is having a dish of stuffed shells with my homemade lasagna sauce that I froze a few weeks ago.

No picnic here, hot, humid and rainy, but we are going Greek. Greek lamb meatballs, spanikopita rolls, rosemary lemon butter new potatoes , and tzatziki.

Attachments

• 2018-04-23 18.54.35.jpg
    2018-04-23 18.54.35.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 109
It was incredibly nice all weekend, and carried over into today as well. We hit 73 this afternoon. I dug all the patio furniture out and set it up, cleaned up the grill, and did a little light yard work.

Dinner was grilled tenderloin over a spinach salad. I ate it out on the deck, so I guess that counts as a picnic. :)

YePSrBy.jpg

We took the grandkids to the park today wearing T-shrts! Lots of swings and sliding and running in no particular direction-- Fun.

Dinner is warmed up Tpperware surprises.

Just keep your eyes out for a bear wearing a hat and tie, and his accomplice, a small bear wearing a bow tie. They have a long record of pic-a-nic thefts.

CD

I scored at the Dollar store today..2 big beautiful artichokes, 2 bunches of spring green onions, 3 huge English hot house cucumbers for a grand total of $5.00.

We're having the artichokes for dinner along with leftover oven barbecued pork ribs and various "Tupperware surprises".
I like that term Whiska...;)

Lovin' all the delish looking pics and wonderful sounding dinners this evening! I've been so busy with feasts here and there and having family over, and going to welcome home get-togethers..... (thanks so much CG for your comment about my brother being home....yes, I'm SO glad he's home safely from a 4 month trip halfway around the world...):wub:

This evenings dinner was a pick up from the local Orient Outlet...OMGosh, it was so good. Not too familiar with it, but it was Pork Siopao with a side of oyster sauce for dipping. They only make them on Mondays...I got there in time this afternoon to grab some fresh. Delish, and a couple of the dumplings left over to warm up for tomorrow.

Lovin' all the delish looking pics and wonderful sounding dinners this evening! I've been so busy with feasts here and there and having family over, and going to welcome home get-togethers..... (thanks so much CG for your comment about my brother being home....yes, I'm SO glad he's home safely from a 4 month trip halfway around the world...):wub:

This evenings dinner was a pick up from the local Orient Outlet...OMGosh, it was so good. Not too familiar with it, but it was Pork Siopao with a side of oyster sauce for dipping. They only make them on Mondays...I got there in time this afternoon to grab some fresh. Delish, and a couple of the dumplings left over to warm up for tomorrow.

I had to look that one up Cheryl.
PINOY!!!
Filipino version of Chinese Pork Buns or Char Siu Bao or what we call in Hawaii
Manapua, YUM!! We have them either steamed or baked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cha_siu_bao

I had heard on Sunday night that Monday was National English Muffin Day. Not prepared for that one, but without knowing it was Nat'l Picnic Day I had planned a picnic like supper - hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans. Well, by the time we were done dealing with the one Lowe's store I despise, but had to shop since they were the only nearby one with the microwave model we wanted, I was in no mood for a picnic, with or without Yogi or Boo-Boo...

Himself to the rescue! We went over to our favorite (and nearby to that Lowe's :glare:) Irish pub. We shared most of our two apps, Brendan's Now Legendary Irish Potato Pizza and Baked Corned Beef Shillelagh Sticks, and each polished off our 20-oz beer (I had Guinness :yum: ). When we were done, Himself declared it a right proper attitude adjustment meal. :LOL:

Attachments

• 20180423_210449.jpg
    20180423_210449.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 100
I grilled up a 1/4 pound Nolan Ryan beef hot dog, put it on a brat roll with some sauerkraut and mustard. That was my picnic.

CD

Every meal looks and sounds WONDERFUL! I want some.

I love my mom's waffle maker. It's very old and starting to show wear. I don't think I will be able to find another like it. Last night we had breakfast for dinner.

Corn and bacon waffles

corn_bacon_waffle_042318_1_IMG_4044.jpg

corn_bacon_waffle_042318_2_IMG_4047.jpg

I'm going to sort of an indoor picnic tonight. A local gourmet shop teams up with a local chef each month for a dinner and wine event, hosted by a friend of mine, our local food writer and broadcaster. This month's theme is Fresh From the Farm - the chef will demonstrate and talk about making dishes with farmers market ingredients and the shop provides wine pairings. A friend and I have been going to a lot of these over the last few years and it's lots of fun [emoji2]

DH is having a dish of stuffed shells with my homemade lasagna sauce that I froze a few weeks ago.
Wow, that was good :yum: The meal started with a pickle plate - pickled fiddlehead ferns, ramps, mustard seeds and a deviled egg, plus a cream cheese dip with fresh herbs. I've been hearing a lot about pickled mustard seeds lately, so I'm thrilled to have a recipe for them.
0423181907a.jpg

The main dish was pork belly marinated with Asian seasonings, then browned in a cast iron skillet. It was served over a farro salad with wilted spring greens. Mmmmm...
0423181958.jpg

Dessert was an ice cream sandwich with lemon cookies and sumac ice cream. Wow again. Great dinner.
0423182019a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom