5/11/2019 - Mother's Day Eve Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
We were planning to go to daughter and SIL's tomorrow, and planning to take dinner. As today turned out to be a wonderful late spring day, and tomorrow's forecast doesn't look too good, she called us early afternoon and suggested we come over today. I took over burger fixings, Bush's Grillin Beans, and cole slaw - everything you need for a weekend grill dinner. Great way to kick off the summer.

Today was a busy day inside and outside the house. I spent most of the day prepping for tomorrow's visit from SO's daughter and granddaughter. So we defrosted some spanakopita for tonight's dinner.

Last edited:
We went to our favourite Chinese resto. It's a hole in the wall, very authentic place. We went with friends and shared a bunch of great dishes.

Dinner was cast iron pan fried strip steak and mushrooms sautéed in the steak pan drippings/fond, Maggi Sauce and ground pepper.

strip_steak_mushrooms_051019_IMG_5812.jpg

I picked up a rotisserie pigeon today when I made a produce-and-ice cream run. Looks like we have more soup weather ahead (rain and temps in the 40s) and I want to make one last (I hope) pot of cream of chicken/wild rice soup. It was a bigger pigeon, so we picked some of the meat off the bones for supper tonight. Sides were baby peas and nuked potatoes - mine with just butter, Himself's with butter and sour cream.

Dessert was more strawberry shortcake. :yum: I love strawberries, and these have been pretty good so far this year. I can eat them until I break out in hives - been there, done that, but not for decades.

Rib Eye in the Grill Pan, Mushrooms Sautee'd in butter and Pinot Noir, Carrots, Air-Baked Russet, Salad and the rest of the Wine...

Rib Eye .jpg

Last night was beef stew with cornmealcakes with fresh corn for me, plus jalapenos for Craig.

Last night we had burgers made with bagels. While they were really good and held together well, that's just too much bread for me. For dessert we had strawberry shortcake. I didn't have any Bisquick so I found a recipe of shortcake for two and whipped cream from TJ's shelf stable heavy cream. We were overloaded with carbs and suffered like groaning dogs most of the night. :sick:Today we are fasting.

Last night we had burgers made with bagels. While they were really good and held together well, that's just too much bread for me. For dessert we had strawberry shortcake. I didn't have any Bisquick so I found a recipe of shortcake for two and whipped cream from TJ's shelf stable heavy cream. We were overloaded with carbs and suffered like groaning dogs most of the night. :sick:Today we are fasting.

Hope you feel better today.

I have some of that cream. Can you post the recipe for the shortcakes please. TIA Kay.

I have some of that cream. Can you post the recipe for the shortcakes please. TIA Kay.

MsM, I was pleasantly surprised how nicely that TJ shelf stable cream whipped up. I chilled it well, along with the bowl and whisk. Here's the recipe for the shortcake and I used my little one cup food processor that came with my stick blender. I also used the whisk attachment for the cream.

https://www.dessertfortwo.com/strawberry-shortcakes/

Last edited:
MsM, I was pleasantly surprised how nicely that TJ shelf stable cream whipped up. I chilled it well, along with the bowl and whisk. Here's the recipe for the shortcake and I used my little one cup food processor that came with my stick blender. I also used the whisk attachment for the cream.

https://www.dessertfortwo.com/strawberry-shortcakes/

I used to keep that shelf stable cream in my pantry.. Surprised with how it came in handy.. I really miss TJ's..

also... Christina Lane is my go to for quick, simple desserts.. Made her Banana Bread for Two recipe, yesterday..

Love her site and her youtube videos.. :)

Ross

We had celebrate Mother's day eve at home by cutting a cake and enjoyed pizza. She was so glad and amazed to see the present (dress) given by me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom