5/15/2019 - Ides of May Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Ides - a day in the Roman calendar that fell roughly in the middle of the month. In March, May, July, and October it was the 15th day of the month; in other months it was the 13th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ides

Now that we have that bit of trivia out of the way, tonight's dinner will be cheeseburgers on the grill. Sides will be sweet potato oven fries and a garden salad.

It sure doesn't feel like Spring here today with all the dark gloom and rain expected.
It's a good day for My Chicken Chili on the stove and me in a chair with a good book and blanket.

Today is also National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, so I baked a batch. Ugh, I'm not much of a from-scratch cookie baker (too time-intensive), but I figured "what the heck". :wacko: I'm now cookie baking good for the next five years.

Anyway, dinner. There is just enough creamy chicken-wild rice soup for us, maybe. However, I have an egg and a half that need using*, so it's probably going to be breakfast-for-supper. I'll find out after I recover from cookie making...

* The cookie recipe called for a whole egg plus a yolk. I messed up separating the first egg, so I have a slightly scrambled egg and an egg white waiting to go to work...

Grilled cheeseburgers sound so good. :yum:

I had a big slice of homemade lasagna, and a side salad with fresh cherry tomatoes picked from my little patio containers, topped with Italian dressing and a dusting of Parm. I'm stuffed.

I miss my grill and I miss my kitchen, but we'll get by...

Today wasn't so nice, cloudy, rain in-and-out, no trade winds and hot & humid, so we decided to go to Ala Moana Shopping Center and Shirokiya's Japan Village Walk --- YUM!

shirokiya-1.jpg

shirokiya.jpg

We shared Garlic Chicken, Cucumber Sushi, Edamame, Spring Roll, Tempura Chicken and Shrimp, of and did I say a draft Kirin for moi :yum:

Smothered chicken in onion gravy over mashies with spinach on the side.

2019-05-15-18-19-49-jpg.27873

Last Night's Stuffed Pepper, Mashed under Red Gravy, Stewies with Corn and Okra... Garden salad with Chipotle Ranch Dressing...

Stuffed Pepper, Okra.jpg

We celebrated my FIL's birthday early last night (his birthday is tomorrow) with a grilled steak dinner with twice-baked potatoes and salad. I also made my first strawberry-rhubarb pie with rhubarb from his garden. It was delicious and he loved it. DH doesn't like rhubarb, so he thought he wouldn't like it, but he did! [emoji16]

It's not my prettiest work, though. I should have told DH to get refrigerated pie crust instead of frozen. Oh well.
2019-05-16-12-49-54.jpg

Back
Top Bottom