5/19/2019 - Sunday Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Went to dinner at daughter and SIL's, and it was catered by tenspeed. Mussels and chorizo, garden salad, and Dutch oven bread. The kids used to regularly go to a mussels restaurant when they lived in DC, so I made them a dinner to remind them of that time in their lives.

A friend of SO's came over earlier today and we had a big lunch. As a result, we ended up "leftovering".

I love mussels. Not easy to find in Dallas.Definitely not live ones.

For the second night in a row, I made a pasta dinner. Tonight it was a pasta carbonara. Pretty authentic carbonara. I used bacon, because that's what I had -- and who is going to complain about bacon?

My taste buds are happy. My arteries...not so much.

CD

Last edited:
With all the tourist in town for Victoria Day decided to stay in the hotel. Had a can of chili, flat bread and snacked on some veggies.

We had loaded salads, baked Dover sole with buttered bread crumbs, steamed broccoli, and garlic-parsley buttered potato cubes - emphasis on the garlic.
IMG_20190519_202915114_HDR.jpg

We did a big Rib Eye in the SousVide, and I seared it off on Wilma the searing side burner to the gas grill. Perfection. The seared bone is saved for a cook's treat tomorrow. Yabba Dabba Doo.

Loaded spuds with fresh chives and steamed broccolini rounded out the meal.

Attachments

• P5190002[1].jpg
    P5190002[1].jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 101
We did a big Rib Eye in the SousVide, and I seared it off on Wilma the searing side burner to the gas grill. Perfection. The seared bone is saved for a cook's treat tomorrow. Yabba Dabba Doo.

Loaded spuds with fresh chives and steamed broccolini rounded out the meal.

That was on my short list, too. I have a few Fred Flintstone steaks vacuum sealed in the freezer, but I need to cook one when I plan to eat steak for at least two meals. I will also cook sous vide, but will use a different searing method (that will accomplish the same thing).

CD

I finish sous vide in a CI skillet. I did a couple of Black Angus strip steaks recently with excellent results.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5510.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_5510.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 100
I finish sous vide in a CI skillet. I did a couple of Black Angus strip steaks recently with excellent results.

I have used a CI skillet. Works great. It does smoke up the house a bit -- I don't have a real vent hood that actually vents to the outside. Sometimes I use a charcoal chimney half full of lump charcoal that is red hot. That is awesome, but is a lot of work. Most often I use my Searsall, which is a modified propane torch.

KL's "Wilma" is a good method, too. But, I don't have one, so it obviously won't work for me.

The only method I have tried for searing a sous vide steak that failed was the deep fryer. I saw it on YouTube, and being adventurous, I gave it a try. I never even thought about doing it again. I can't really explain why, but it just did not taste good.

CD

Everyone's dinners look at sound wonderful guys!

We're still in Honolulu; we had Sunday dinner with an old friend at Side Street Inn Kapahulu - all of our favorite dishes, served family-style, so the three of us shared.
We had enough leftover that we each took home enough food for both of our households to have another meal!! :yum:
Side Street Inn May 19 dinner.jpg
Pork Chop
May 19 Dinner at Side Street Inn .jpg
Yakisoba
May 19 Dinner at Side Street Inn -1.jpg
Fried Rice w/Lup Cheong
May 19 Dinner at Side Street Inn -2.jpg
Mochiko Chicken
May 19 Dinner at Side Street Inn -3.jpg
Hawaiian-Style Pulehu Short Ribs
May 19 Dinner at Side Street Inn -4.jpg
Teri Beef
May 19 Dinner at Side Street Inn -5.jpg
and for dessert, you gotta have Peanut Butter Crunch
Good Friends, Ono-kine grinds ...
So glad to be home !!

Everyone's dinners look at sound wonderful guys!

We're still in Honolulu; we had Sunday dinner with an old friend at Side Street Inn Kapahulu - all of our favorite dishes, served family-style, so the three of us shared.
We had enough leftover that we each took home enough food for both of our households to have another meal!! :yum:

Three people? That looks like enough food for ten people. But, it does look good! :yum:

CD

Three people? That looks like enough food for ten people. But, it does look good! :yum:

CD

:LOL:

Indeed C-Dog!

We dropped our friend off at his car and he said to us in parting, while holding up his carry-out bag ...
"We'll get to together again in about 3 days and go to XYZ Restaurant, once we've all finished this off."
Good food never goes to waste... the Fried Rice will be breakfast tomorrow with a Fried Egg on top. The Noodles will go along with the leftover Teri Chicken that I made last night. And lastly, the meats will be for dinner on the third night with a pot of freshly steamed White Rice... 3 days! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom